Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

OTA: Ontario Parts, Sales, Service, Installers

395K views 1K replies 458 participants last post by  folcan99 
#1 ·
I got a CM4248 from V&E Antenna in Thornhill. I've got it mounted on my rooftop and I use a rotor to fine tune.

#135 ·
A preamp is a special module that boosts the antenna signal, but not everyone should use one. Actually I think its probably better if you wait until you're back in Toronto and then contact a local source so that you aren't stuck with OTA gear that you don't need. Also you can read through this forum to get a better idea of what gear would be best for you.

#138 · (Edited)
remote controlled A/B/C switch

Is there anywhere in the Toronto area that sells remote A/B/C switches? I have three antennas that I want to switch between, and I'm finding that I'm too lazy to use the Source CC push-button switch I'm using now.

I know that Radio Shack U.S. has remote A/B switches, and I found an A/B switch on ebay, but I'd really like an A/B/C switch if possible.

And sorry for using the word 'switch' so many times in my post. Seems unavoidable though.

Thanks.

#146 · (Edited)
Ok, for past week I have looked for some other Brampton shops/stores that would carry the stuff I'm looking for (ie... a cheap affordable used stb in good condition, like the Samy 151 or 451, or a new 260, and of course an antenna), and so far I have come to a dead end. Other than the AF Marsh listed above (which for some reason they don't pick up the phone when a person calls :confused: ), I can't find any other locations close to me. (eBay is starting to look like a viable option more each day... but I would rather not go that route) :(

I know, I know, some of you guys are not that far from Brampton (ie..Yaamon), and would probably make a house call to help out a fellow OTA "newbie", but I would rather not bother any of you with that. I know your time (and mine) are worth $'s, and I would rather not impose. I'm the kind of person that want's to see the equipment a stores has for sale before I buy. (I'll be doing the install of the antenna myself.)

btw, the only reason why I posted again, is because this thread is rather slow moving (no further posts for almost a week), and I didn't find the help I was looking for initially. And yes, I tried Google, Yellow Pages, ect.... all I found were some south and east Toronto locations.... and as you know, gas has gotton kinda expensive lately, and using my time to go drive to the ones I have found is not really practical for me right now. Besides, the wife has me doing extra house work for some reason. (I think she knows I'm on the search for some stuff to buy) :rolleyes: lol

There's got to be some more locations in Brampton that sell/have affordale OTA stuff (in stock) to check out. ?

#148 ·
I picked up a great DB4 UHF antenna from antennasdirect.com The packaging was a little sketchy when I recieved it but it works all the same. I'm thinking of getting a digital tuner soon, the analog results indoors with the DB4 are really encouraging.

Now I'm looking for a VHF antenna.

Does anyone know where to get a VHF antenna in the Ottawa area? I'm also looking for an outdoor VHF/UHF combiner.

Thanks,
Todd

#151 ·
Princess Auto & Sayal

Princess Auto have a nice price on the chimney mount kit. The included strapping is good for a double chimney , but not a triple. Also the bracket is designed for @ 1" diameter mast ( not a windsurfing mast....)

Nice selection of reasonably prices cables in the electronics mall on Matheson East of Dixie: Sayal etc. I had heard of it but the 1st time I dropped in.

#182 ·
Princess Auto have a nice price on the chimney mount kit. The included strapping is good for a double chimney , but not a triple. Also the bracket is designed for @ 1" diameter mast ( not a windsurfing mast....)

Nice selection of reasonably prices cables in the electronics mall on Matheson East of Dixie: Sayal etc. I had heard of it but the 1st time I dropped in.
Hi Davd M,

Bought TWO of the Princess Auto Chimney Mounts, but it didn't work on my zero clearence non-brick chimney. My chimney is wood cover with siding....

Right now the antenna is in the attic, but this is still way better than the rabbit ears I had.

Will try to rig something up with the second mount kit, maybe make a pair of wall mounts....

KC