Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Motorola 3416 on sale $198

23K views 78 replies 26 participants last post by  Shaw Guru 
#1 ·
The Motorola 3416 model PVR is currently on sale in all markets except Vancouver. There are some restriction for the sale though:
1) Must not be an HD subscriber already (ie: new customer to HD so SD DCT owners do qualify)
2) Must be a double or triple play customer (have at least 2 core services of cable, internet or phone)
3) Limit of 1 per household
4) While supplies last (stock is VERY limited), no rainchecks or substitutions.

Please be aware most areas are still receiving their limited shipments so you may want to stop by the office to see if they have stock as it will be first come first served. Also I believe retailers are selling the 3416 for $348 for anyone who misses out.

#4 ·
I've heard tell of a new Motorola model coming but can't really go into much detail unfortunately as I don't know when it will launch. Most areas seem to be sold out of these so if you stop in they may be gone already.

#6 ·
I always seem to get the short end...

We just had our service with shaw hooked up a month ago.. brand new customer and the best they could offer me at that time was the financing option for a pvr...

So I went out and purchased an HD PVR from futureshop.. was lucky enough that exactly 30 days later the price dropped to the $350... but now they're offering them for $198?? this stinks!

#10 ·
@ bishop8
Networking disabled for launch, suprise is, it will be Canada's largest HDPVR with 500GB internal Hard Drive (and not the 160,250 or 320GB variants) with support for a 1TB External HD. List price $398.00 rolling out very soon. Networking with the latest firmware has been under testing for many months already. The USB port de-activated as well as the Ethernet. The E-sata active for the External HD function.

Also have been testing the Pace DC900X with networking for 9HD tv's too, that is still a ways off though. ;)

From now on Shaw will not be using the "DCT" monikor and all TV equipment referred to as STB's. (Motorola owns the name DCT so we are looking to having transparency across the board)

@Travisc we are have been looking at it a while now and have had success in the office.

Shaw Guru is right in his comment above too.

#14 ·
So it's clear that they are getting rid of surplus inventory. Would the 3416 be compatible with this networking strategy? I mean, you would probably need the new PVR to act as a server, but if I want to take advantage of networking, do I need to ditch my 3 PVRs?

Shaw has a lot of gull, you gotta give them that. My first 6412 cost me $750, my first 6416 cost $700 and my second 6416 cost me $650 and they are telling me I could not add a 4th PVR for $198. What a bunch of crock.

#19 ·
Posted by Shaw Champ
Networking disabled for launch, suprise is, it will be Canada's largest HDPVR with 500GB internal Hard Drive (and not the 160,250 or 320GB variants) with support for a 1TB External HD. List price $398.00 rolling out very soon. Networking with the latest firmware has been under testing for many months already. The USB port de-activated as well as the Ethernet. The E-sata active for the External HD function.
I heard the same thing yesterday from a tech guy, the 500GB (yes!) but no networking yet (boo). And he said May 18 or 19, so really right around the corner!

There's already a DCX3400 thread here, with links to some useful info:
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=113475

Hopefully it's OK if I post a link to another forum, where there's a bit of talk about the differences between the DCH3416 (almost same as DCT3416?) and newer DCX3400:
http://www.***************/forum/r23590293-DVR-Which-DVR-is-better-DCX3400-or-DCH3416

Uh, alright, it looks like it's not OK to reference that forum, sorry.

#21 ·
It's like anything, costs go down as technology becomes old or market saturated. I remember when the old Zenith homeworks 500k cable modem was $450. suffice to say they are all in some dumpster now.
*edit- this was a response to Pokerchip's comment.

#24 ·
@ Bowmah

The time frame for launch is from May 19th onwards, depending on stock/inventory levels, system by system process, over the next few weeks. Look for Shaw.ca to be updated soon based on locale.

------------------

Shaw Employee but views/opinions are solely my own and do not represent or are in no way endorsed by any other party.

#26 ·
No problem at all. Depending on where you are some places have sold out of the Motorola PVR's so rep could be right and honestly do not think someone would want to mislead you. However, one thing to consider (and I know the equipment can get expensive) is a 3416 with a 1TB external hard drive will offer more space and could weigh in cheaper. Personally I brought an OEM 1TB and seperate enclosure for my 3416. Think of a 3416 @ $198 + 1TB external $150 on sale at Shaw or cheaper elsewhere, or even sourcing yourself will maybe come cheaper than $398.00 for the new box. But then as a customer I would want to weigh that up with the future capabilities on the DCX 3400 and the whole home networking down the road that this box can do.

Also consider new offering from PACE later on still with their equipment also most likely being 500GB internal, external hard drive capability, and then streaming HD content for up to 9 tv's!

We work off feedback everyday, one main thing was the equipment costs.

------------------

Shaw Employee but views/opinions are solely my own and do not represent or are in no way endorsed by any other party.

#27 ·
So if I can find a $198 for the 3416 then I might re-consider. At the moment, the chain stores have it for $350. Instead of $350, I will gladly wait for $400 for the new Motorola. I know Pace is only going to get better and I cannot wait till the day for Shaw to offer PVR anywhere like Telus. In fact, I am almost ready to switch after using Shaw for 15+ years. Cannot believe the trouble I am having with this current Pace unit and with support for giving me the run around the last 2 days. I got the long winded explanation about how there are known issues that are still not 100% resolved for Pace units but to me, that is not my problem. That is Shaw's supplier, not mine. Shaw is the person I pay and the one I am complaining to. The unit is going back.

So you are a Shaw customer service person? Can you provide some more info about streaming HD content around the house. This is a great thing that I have been waiting for. It might be big enough for me to try a competitor actually. Like I said, 15+ years with Shaw and a lot disappointed at the moment.

#28 ·
Regarding multi-room DVR solutions - I consider it vapourware until it actually appears. Note that A28 guide is only one component of a complete solution, with firmware being another big part.

Also regarding May 19 DCX3400 launch, don't believe it until you see it.

Too many people posting internal Shaw deadlines and goals, which may or may not come to be. You won't know for sure until an official announcent is made.

Note that these opinions are mine and not necessarily those of my employer...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.