Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Samsung Dilema (Hum)

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  majortom 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I have a ferw issues and questions on my TV that I need some good input on and I have heard of this site before so here goes.
I have a Samsung HLS5066 DLP tv about 4.5 years old and it has been making a humming noise for a while now and under warranty they replaced the cooling fan but the noise came back quite quckly again after the warranty was off,recently the speakers were making all kinds of loud static and popping noises then the audio went off and I had to use the surround sound home theater sytem to use the tv (picture is fine) the next day after i got to work my wife phones to tell me the tv is making a clunking kind of sound and she shut it off, I took the back off of it and blew out alot of dust it is still humming and the static seems to have lessened but its there still and the hum is still there. My question is this is it time to replace it or do i just need a couple of minor type repairs can someone please advise..Thanks

#2 ·
When you describe "humm" do you mean an audible humm coming from the speakers? Or a humm coming from some mechanical vibration of components, like humm from a transformer?

#3 ·
My first assumption would be, since this is a DLP, that the colour wheel may be creating the hum either from a slight imbalance, or perhaps worn bearings, etc. There are moving parts in DLPs.

A clearer description and the location of the hum would be appreciated.

Then, check out the following post, useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741

#4 ·
The hum would be from like a transformer or a vibration sorry to confuse you with the speakers and humming its one of three issues there is also a small group of shadow like blotches on the top section of the screen aout 6 or 7 blotches about 6 inches down like finger print smudges but they are not we used proper screen cleaner to check .
thanks the speaker is going off and on it will have some static then will go silent (no sound at all) then it comes back on and works a while and staticy again

#6 ·
...the speaker is going off and on it will have some static then will go silent (no sound at all) then it comes back on and works a while and staticy again
For the audio cutting in & out problem, it would help to understand how your using the TV.
Are you using it along with an STB from cable or Sat provider via HDMI cable, or are you using it with an antenna for OTA reception (i.e. - no external boxes connected to it)? If using it with an STB from provider / via HDMI, can you connect it to an antenna, tune to a good channel and see if the audio problem goes away? eg. Temporarily eliminate any external boxes, HDMI from the equation if possible.
if the audio trouble turned out to be HDMI related, you might be able to use the Component Video connections, and analog audio inputs in addition to HDMI that ya could try and use as another test to further isolate.
We have a Samsung in the house also (LCD though), and I recall the audio never really worked right when using one of the HDMI inputs.
Don't recall which one. Wound up just using the Component video cables plus audio in, it's only in the kid's room.

#8 ·
Sounds like it may be ready for the repair shop.
Could be almost anything in the audio circuits, from bad solder joints on the main board, bad/leaky capacitor(s), or even an audio AMP IC getting ready to let go. Google around with your exact model / symptoms and see if there are others out there with the same issue. You may be surprised how common the same failures are with certain models/brands...

Long time ago, just for friends & what not, if there was a main board I couldn't fix myself, I used to send the main boards back to a depot service, they'd send you a repaired main board module and u'd have to align it to the Tube when ya installed it, etc. And they'd usually give ya like a $25-$50 core charge for the old one. Wasn't a bad deal at the time. Not sure what they do nowadays though...Bet there is still services like that someplace out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.