Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Samsung Owners: DTV tuner abnormal PSIP data quality?

• Never have any problems

Votes: 44 42.3%
  • Occasional problems with certain stations

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • Frequent problems with certain stations

Votes: 29 27.9%
  • Frequent problems with all stations

Votes: 1 1.0%

ATSC Tuners In HDTVs (see Samsung Poll)

261K views 887 replies 273 participants last post by  rabbit73 
#1 ·
My TV has a built in ATSC tuner and I'm wondering what the advantages (I'm sure there are a number) to owning a seperate box to handle things.

Of course I read that the LG LST-4200A was the choice of champions (in the mini-FAQ) but are there any really compelling features that make it a must for someone with a built in tuner? The features found on the site seem to be more or less what is already present on my built in tuner.

Should I consider a seperate tuner (at some point)?

EDIT BY STAMPEDER: older posts in this thread have been split off into their own archived thread: http://www.digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41504

#2 ·
Tom if your tv have a built in ATSC tuner then I would not worry about it.

Even if a STB was to give a better picture I don't think it would be a difference to notice. :)

I will be buying a Sanyo for my office, with a built in atsc tuner and can check it against a samsung 451 and LG 4200 if anybody was curious. :)

#3 ·
Well, that's interesting. I was almost sure there must be some innate advantage in having an external tuner.

For example, gain readings - where do they come from? I keep seeing them referenced by various people and had assumed they would be measured in the STB somehow. Though perhaps the built in tuner handles stuff like that too (haven't read the manual cover to cover yet).

However, sounds like good advice if PQ remains the same.

#4 ·
tomcollins said:
Well, that's interesting. I was almost sure there must be some innate advantage in having an external tuner.
Not all ATSC tuners are created equal. There is a noticeable difference in chipset generations so if you are buying a brand new leading edge HDTV then yes, it will most likely have the newest generation of ATSC tuner chipsets in it. If you purchase a more generic HDTV that has an older ATSC tuner chipset in it, your results may not be as good. If so, I would say stay with that set's integrated ATSC tuner at first, then check back here in the OTA Forum and see if people with STBs are getting sufficiently better performance to merit a purchase. Of course high end HiFi Stereo shops made a solid business over the decades out of selling the highest quality components to consumers who had to have the best, so if you're in that category just spring for the LG LST-4200a and be glad you did.

#5 ·
Partial review Samsung 451 vs LG 4200a vs Dish 811

The only program was on was PBS in HDTV at 10:30am this morning.

The program that was on was hard to compare so will wait for some live sport or show on hdtv.

Both receivers was feed the signal from the same two way splitter.

Using component outut in 1080i the tuners was setup for.

I cant really tell about the LG being more sensitive as all the channels are in strong and WB was on last night but I did not have time to hook it up, I did have time at 1am to hook up the dish 811. :)

The dish 811 pulled in the WB49 last night. ;)

The signal strength would read max on the Samsung and on the Dish would read between 84 to 89% maybe its the scaling used.

The LG read in the middle of the scale ?

I will wait till there is a low signal on the Samsung to compare how sensitive the tuner is.

If there is a difference the LG does seem a tiny bit sharper and maybe a tiny bit brighter in contrast.

I have found a place that sells factory refurb on the web and bought another Sammy and gotone for my brother. For the price they sell the Samsung is the best value in hdtv tuner at $155.00us.

Comes packaged just like you bought a new one, all the cables manual and remote etc.

Comparing the Dish 811 vs the Lg the dish 811 picture is not as detailed and has slightly less contrast and brightness. But still a good picture quality, one would not be able to tell unless they were side by side to compare.

Opps I had the dish rec hooked up via dvi to hdmi compared to compionent for the LG.

#6 ·
Well the tuner in the Lg is definately more sensitive than what comes in the Dish 811 receiver.

When the signal was low on Wham from Rochester and the dish flaked out. :) the LG picture was still stable but low.

The Samsung also pulled in the same channels as the LG as I went to the family room and tested it. I did not test it when Wham was flaking out on dish811 though.

#8 ·
Huh ?? :)

The Samsung, LG, and Dish is hooked up using outdoor antenna's.

I am using a 4228 pointed for Nbc for max signal and a 4221 pointed for Fox for max signal that also gets the Toronto stations.

I combined the signal into a 7775 preamp.

From the preamp it goes into a two way splitter one feeds the LG and from the LG antenna loop out the Dish 811.

The other splitter feed goes directly into the samsung in the family room.

I am waiting to buy a Jvc 70" 1080p or Toshiba 72" 1080p that also has a built in ATSC.

I hope I answered your question.

Once I get the new tv for the family room I may sell one of the Samsung or just keep it as a spare.

#10 ·
Forgot to mention.

The LG does have a more advance menu that displays more information compared to the Samsung.

You can pull up the guide for that channel that you are watching and scroll through by time and by sub channels.

The remote is definately much better and can progam to control your tv, vcr, dvd and aux.

#12 ·
ATSC tuner

Alebowgm'

I'm more then happy with both my Samsung units. Can't really comment on this type but I've sent you a pm on another site. I guess your looking for "two" units then ? Seems like a lot more money compared to the other offer your looking at. Let us know how you make out.

#16 ·
Another reason one might want OTA while having sat or cable is for locals. I believe for the most part depending on whether you are sat or cable your network HD feeds come from either Boston or Detroit.

When you are a Bills fan and live right next to Buffalo, OTA is great for getting the local OTA HD that you would otherwise be unable to get.

#24 ·
sanyo 30" dual tuner/widescreen TV

ever since I picked up the 2 sammy451 from the US, back in april, I've been looking for an hdtv, so I saw this 28 sanyo at walmart, dual tuner widescreen for $650,
not bad since the cost of the atc tuner alone is close to $400, so I bought it,
only to take it back a week later, no it was fine...but they reduced(roll back) the 30" from $800 to $650, well it was worth the sore back this 30" inch is a much better tv, dig.comb filter, has PAP and hdmi input. I am looking forward to MNF game tonite, however I do miss the epg somewhat as these units do not have it, I also decided that I prefer the 720P format(abc and FOX) over the 1080i.

cheers

#26 ·
ATSC Tuner prices and unavailability in Canada

It really sucks that you just can't seem to be able to purchase an ATSC OTA Tuner in or around the Toronto area. You are left to either purchase on line or take the drive to Buffalo. (I don't know if the boat is still running to Rochester)

I am looking to get a second decoder so that I can get better reception upstairs by having the digital signal rather than just analog for the 2nd TV.

Has anyone purchased a decoder in the recent while. I am wondering if the prices have dropped much in the past year? I am not too sure what brand would be best to get. I'm more looking at price right now as I think DTV is still to much in it's infancy to throw down big bucks. Like the DVD players of years back. Now they all have the features of DVD players that 3 years ago cost 5-10x the price of what they are selling for now.

Any thoughts on what they go for now?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.