Help with Switching Back to Telus - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus High Speed Internet and Home Phone

Old 2013-08-18, 10:03 PM   #31
brownstar
Veteran

It doesn't cost to move house, if its an normal install there maybe some cost if extensive wiring is required. When I moved the tech's called in a truck with a lift as they need to change some stuff on the overhead cables, they also replaced the splitter with an updated one, new box on the exterior of my house as well...............all for no charge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2013-08-20, 07:08 PM   #32
i6s1

All the outside stuff, up to the box, is ours, so there's never any charge for upgrades need for TV.
Old 2013-08-20, 11:45 PM   #33
bowmah

What if there are ever any signals issues with TV or Internet not delivering close to max speed? Any costs to send a tech out to test and boost signals?
Old 2013-08-21, 11:43 AM   #34
i6s1

I'm not sure I completely understand your questions, but that would depend on the outcome of the visit. If the problem was proven to be the wiring in the house, there would be a charge. If it was outside, or a modem or STB issue, or unprovable, there would be no charge.
Old 2013-08-22, 08:06 PM   #35
bowmah

Thanks for the info i6s1. Since I have you here, do you know if the tech can install the modem in the basement junction and then put wall plates with the proper ports (RJ-45 and telephone ports) so we can use the existing wiring in the house for wired internet? That should work if I remember correctly. Can this happen?
Old 2013-08-23, 06:28 PM   #36
i6s1

I've mostly answered this question in the other thread.

If you want telephone and data over one cat 5, then you can only use two of the pairs for data. It's not really the proper way of doing it, but it works. Pairs 1 and 4 don't do anything, only 2 and 3 transmit data. But that only work for 100mbps connections, if you want a gigabit connection, all 4 pairs need to be used for data, and you can't have a telephone jack at that same location. (Unless there's a second cat5 run to that spot.)

This assumes that you have cat5 to your phone jacks. If you have cat3, gigabit won't work anyway.
Old 2013-08-28, 02:52 AM   #37
bowmah

Ok two weeks until the Telus tech comes to install. Sales rep on the phone says we will be getting Actiontec 2000. Now I have to figure out if I need to change my Linksys router settings. I have some dynamic and some static IPs on the network at 192.168.1.x.

I believe the Actiontec is defaulted to 192.168.1.100 is that right?

If so, and since linksys is defaulted to 192.168.1.1, can I set the Linksys to distribute from 192.168.1.101 onwards so I don't have to make changes to the port forwarding etc or static ip clients?

Trying to find a way to do this easily as I understand the Actiontec cannot be turned into bridge mode and only run as a modem. It will also route with dhcp as well.

Any insight on this?
Old 2013-08-28, 12:31 PM   #38
digao

Not sure about the 2000, the 1000 is defaulted to .254

Assuming the 2000 is like the 1000, it will start assigning from the 60's, so you should be good starting at 100 with the Linksys. I believe I was actually distributing from the 200's and saving anything below that for DHCP reserved IPs.

I'm not sure how you have static clients set. I always prefer to use DHCP reservation instead of assigning an IP directly on the device.
As for the port forwarding, because the Actiontec will be the actual router, you have to set up all the port forwarding there.
Old 2013-08-28, 04:51 PM   #39
audacity
Veteran

I use static IPs for network devices which are "lower level" than the DHCP server. Specifically, my router has a static IP, my switches both have static IPs, and my Hyper-V box uses a static IP (although all of the VMs use DHCP).

This way, basic network functionality can exist if devices get rebooted and a DHCP server isn't available. For example, after a loss of power everything comes back online and the network is properly functioning after a very short time. The box that does DHCP takes longer to boot than the switches do, so I've found that it's best that they don't use DHCP.

So, if you're average-joe-user, DHCP is for you. But there are certainly still places where static IPs make sense. It's just that you don't get there until your network gets a little bit complicated.
Old 2013-08-28, 05:07 PM   #40
digao

I hear you. I do actually have a couple of devices with their own fixed IP.

I guess the point I was trying to make is that if a fixed IP is only being used for the sake of having the same address at all times, it makes more sense to use DHCP reservation so you can prevent IP conflicts.

In your scenario, the utility of assigning fixed IPs goes beyond that.
Old 2013-08-30, 08:50 PM   #41
bowmah

Yes, the fileserver and more important PC's that control backup, etc... are all static IP's assigned at the client level.

So, is there an easy way to make Telus gear work with my current setup? Best would be to run the Telus modem in bridge mode but I understand this may not be possible.

Can anyone confirm this?