Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Do I Need Luxury Cables?

196K views 371 replies 172 participants last post by  NeilN 
#1 ·
Interesting report from PC World...

Whether you hook up your TV via digital connections, analog connections, or both, you are unlikely to detect any difference in picture quality between a cable with a moderate price and a luxury brand. The only difference you're likely to notice is how the cable looks behind your TV.
...and the money missing from your wallet (57)

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,121777,pg,1,00.asp

As we have indicated on this forum many times, there is no difference in ultimate picture quality between a modestly priced cable and a "luxury" cable (like Mon$ter).

I would have preferred if the PC World testing were done "double blind", but the results in this case are "the same" in that the actual performance of the cables was "the same". Yes, there were minor differences in some electronic measurements.

Interestingly, one "failing" of the $300 Mon$ter brand HDMI cable was that due to the weight of it, it fell out... Quite the opposite of the connectors on the Mon$ter Component Video cables which are almost "too snug" and have been known to damage the equipment they're connected to...

Edit: We have had similar comments from others on this forum - the heavy cables can either fall out, or damage the HDMI port on equipment, due to the weight of the cable. The lighter (28 ga) cables can therefore be better for your TV, provided you don't need the 22 or 24 ga for in-wall installations or long lengths like 15'+. (25' changed to 15' due to newer specs (HDMI 1.4, 3D, etc) in recent years, as per below)

The cables tested cost US$18-$300.

Edit 2010.09.09 (modified for additional bandwidth for newer specs, BD, etc.): Another test result with similar results, however, at longer lengths (15'+) or for in-wall applications, it's best to get a "good" cable, just as we have repeatedly stated here. For longer lengths, suggest 22 or 24 ga.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/hdmi-cable-battlemodo/the-truth-about-monster-cable-part-2-268788.php
Link may take some time to display, be patient.

Long Cable Test... Mon$ter not worth it again.

Edit 2008.02.24 - MarketPlace confirms the same:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=81285

Edit 2008.12.16 - CNET:

http://reviews.cnet.com/hdmi-cable/?tag=mncol;txt

See less See more
#286 ·
the cable is faulty...
Reliability issues tend to be with the connectors, not the cable. You can get junk connectors or decent quality. It is also possible to buy over priced "gold plated" connectors. BTW, the best connectors are silver plated, not gold. Gold looks better because it doesn't tarnish, but silver maintains a better connection even through a bit of oxidation.

#287 ·
No, I don't travel with any cable, actually. I'm not affiliated with any store, actually. Also of course I test any cable before it goes into an install.

However, I can't ask my client to buy (say) a Monoprice cable, I fly in, then the cable is not working, then what cable I should use? I only have 2 weeks at the most for any install project overseas (usually 1 week). I can't wait for the cable to be returned and the exchange sent back to Singapore or Indonesia within that one week. The express courier will cost more than a Monster Cable (again, I'm NOT endorsing Monster Cable, but that's the cheapest long-length HDMI cable available locally in Singapore and Indonesia).

And as far as evidence goes... it's funny that even after approx a month, NOBODY is willing to take up my offer in lending my expensive speaker wire to be tested against the cheap wire of the same gauge.

Is this the case of being afraid to be proven wrong? ;)

#289 ·
No, it's probably a case of not wanting to waste the time and effort. ;)

This thread is really about the average person and installers have their own "rules" on how to make things work and what works best for them since they have other considerations, including extenuating circumstances. Some don't even use HDMI cables inside the walls.

The fact that you install in far away places should not affect what the "average individual" purchases.

#291 ·
Is this the case of being afraid to be proven wrong?
No, it's because we know the issues involved and what it takes to prove them. Again, as has been said before, if there is a significant difference, then one of the two is junk or grossly undersized. Perhaps you may want to do some reading on how transmission lines work and what factors affect them. Or perhaps you can explain what makes your cables so special.

#292 ·
yes, like we know that the earth was flat way back when right? so the person who tried to even think that the world is round is wrong without the flat-earth-believers even try to test the-earth-is-round idea at all.

:)

peace - and out

#293 ·
David,

There is a difference between believing something and proving it. There have been tests that prove many people don't notice a difference, and not a single reputable (and repeatable) one showing otherwise. Sure, there might be someone who can tell the difference, but I doubt the average person could.

Given the tactics companies like Monster have used to trick consumers as well, one can't help but side with the reports that say there's no perceivable difference.

#295 ·
cables OMG :)
well I took this to the test my self, but this time with HDMI cables,
my DB player is from LG type BD390 a nice cheap allrounder
my projector is panasonic AE4000 also a nice cheap allrounder.
the HDMI cable length is 10 meters for my need.
first I got the cheapest possible 12 $ !!
and found out I had noise dots in full HD, even at 24Hz
it simply gave black screen at 50Hz and 60Hz refresh.
so I gave it back, got my money back and tried the next step.
I continued all the way up and up, until I had perfect picture
no visible noise dots or artifacts in highest possible resolution full HD
and max refresh rate and deepest color settings, this way more and faster
data rates is used.
I tried 5 cables, before I ended with a perfect result.
I keept a type costing 100 $
"König 1.3 Cat 2 High End HDMI kabel - 10 m"
I am sure if your max length is alot shorter, you can use a lot cheaper cable,
and still use highest resolutions and all that.
it is your length that is the problem.
I did this test mainly for fun and education, but also I wanted to know
I did not spend alot of money for nothing, I could have started with a 200 $
cable and most likely got a perfect picture in the first try, but where was the fun then.. now I feel like I got 100 $ extra to spend on something else.

#296 ·
strangely enough you don't calculate your time lost in trying multiple cables until you get the cheapest cable that will do the job. You don't really save $100 because the time spent to try those cables must be worth more than $100.

Just get medium-priced cable and be done with it. Save time, hassles and frustration.

#297 ·
David, why are you belittling this fellow when he did exactly what you suggested and tested? He started at a certain level and kept upgrading until he got the result he needed. At $100 for a 10m cable he got good value and would have been foolish and spendthrifty (there ya go Colbert) to spend another penny. Are you upset that he stopped before $200, $300 or ?.

Are you saying that your customers will fly you across the ocean to do an install but won't trust your judgement on cable selection? Until recently, you were getting substantial discounts on high quality gear from Pioneer and that may have skewed your notion of value but most people are playing with retail pricing.

#298 ·
If I come across like belittling, I apologize, I really don't mean that.

I typed what I typed because I personally have experienced that (experimenting from the lowest end cable and moving up and up and up until I find the one that will do the job) and it consumes a lot of time and money (some vendors have "restocking fee").

That's all, no other intention behind my post.

Again, if my post offend anybody, I sincerely apologize.

#299 ·
With this "luxury cable" thing:

IMHO Only you will know if you need "higher end" cables for your system. If you have to ask you don't need 'em.

#300 ·
Warning – “OLD” Monster Cables = Permanent Damage.

My Case History:
The “old” version of Monster Cables, destroyed my (LG - LCD - TV), RCA jacks.

I found confirmation from a local electronics repair shop.
The “old” version of Monster Cables, are permanently destroying RCA - jacks on a lot of electronic equipment.
This includes:
- TV’s
- Stereo Amps
- DVD Players
- Sound Systems
- Audio
- Video
- RGB (HD-TV)
-
- Etc.
-
Some present day RCA jacks, are now only for very light duty connections and usage.
The outer shield of the RCA female jack, “may” only have one small copper pin, soldered to the PC board.

Monster Cables - Old version:
The “old” version had a real tight fit, because there were no slits, on the outer shield of the male plug.
Monster Cables - New version:
The “new” version now only has a snug fit, because there are now slits,
on the outer shield of the male plug. (Turbine® connectors).
Now have angled slits on outer shield of male plug.

Monster Cables - Instructions:
When removing a monster cable, slowly twist the connection,
while pulling out the cable.
Monster Cables - Result:

When removing my old version of monster cables,
it completely removed my outer shields of the RCA jacks.
All of the RCA jacks, were destroyed, on my TV.

Question (# 1):

Is it really worth the sacrifice to use the old version Monster Cables,
on your entertainment system ?
Question (# 2):
When you purchased your entertainment component,
did you get in writing, that Monster Cables, can be used ?
Question (# 3):
Does your entertainment component warranty,
cover damaged RCA jacks ?

Fact (# 1):
When using cables for entertainment components, “larger cables, gold plated” do work much better !
“Monster Cables” are excellent cables, but are also very expensive.

Question (# 4):
What TV video format support (HD-TV) are you using and receiving ?
(720p and or 1080p).
What TV video hardware input are you using ?
- Yellow RCA video male jack
- “S’ video - 4 plug connection.
- “RGB” (x3) RCA (Red Green Blue) male jacks.

Fact (# 2):
If you have a “high ended”, fully digital, component entertainment system, you can also afford to use “monster cables”.
For most of us, why should we pay premium high ($’) for cables, on an average home system ?

Question (# 5):
Could “Monster Cables” actually or maybe, be an extra sales gimmick.
(More $’s = Better Product).
(Actually An Over Priced Item).“Monster Cables” use extra thick shielded wire, with very “fancy” connectors.
I have found Heavy Duty Component RGB cables, gold platted, for 1/3 the cost.
I have found “no” actual “data” of their cables, from “monster cables”.
I wonder why ?

Recommendations (# 1):
The small supplied regular RCA cables, will do the job,
for low ended users.

Recommendations (# 2):
This applies to high ended TV viewers, that do “NOT” want to risk any damage to their entertainment components.
Only purchase or use RCA cables that have the outer shield, (male connector), having opened, expanding, slots.
The outer cut slots, on the outer shield,
will allow for any required expansion.

Recommendations (# 3):
It is up to the consumer to purchase “Monster Cables” or to purchase “Heavy Duty Cables”.
We all stack our entertainment components at one (x1) central location.
We only require short cables.
A cable with gold plated RCA jacks, is a cable, is a cable.
One can easily purchase:
- Thick Quality Cables
- Good to Excellent Quality
- Gold Plated Connectors
- Expandable Slotted RCA Male Fittings
- For only 1/3 of the cost.

Warning:
“Old” version of Monster Cables, do “not” have cut slots,
on the outer shield of the male connector, plug.
Is it worth the risk to use the “old” version of Monster Cables ? (NO).

Conclusion:
I have an average to an advanced entertainment TV system.
I will never see the justification to spend a lot of ($’s),
for high ended cables.

Besides, RE: Cable TV :
We are missing the most important subject. (TV Reception).
- Are you presently using “low” ended, cable splitter boxes ?
- Are you presently using an advanced / amplifier, “HD-TV” high ended, splitter box ?
- How powerful of a TV signal, are you presently receiving, for your HD-TV reception ?
- Do you occasionally see pixels, on your TV screen ?

P.S.

Higher ended users of "Digital TV", will require, new higher ended, digital TV cable splitters. (Fact).

#302 ·
1. Your post has nothing to do with Rogers, so it was moved to this existing thread.

2. These issues have been discussed in this thread and post 1 even discusses the damage that can be cause by Mon$ter - to your equipment and to your pocketbook.

#303 · (Edited by Moderator)
Old Monster Cables = Destroy

Old Monster Cables = Destroy

I am stating “old” manufacturing procedures, that will destroy your component system. (Fact).

Fact:
Many present and future consumers will be using “RODGERS” = (HD-TV) = Fact.
Many ‘ignorant” Rodgers Consumers. may in the future / now require, extended cables.

Warning:
I stated actual facts, that cable users should know !

Question:
Who are you really protecting ?
P.S.

We are unable to repair any RCA "jacks" because their is presently "no" manufacturing" standard.

present and any future parts, are custom made, = NO fix.

#304 ·
Huh?

First of all, it's Rogers, not RoDgers.
Second, I have personally fixed many RCA jacks. It's the easiest thing to fix after a power switch.
Third, what do you mean with no manufacturing standards in creating RCA jacks? If it doesn't comply to certain standards then it won't be called RCA jacks.

#307 ·
Gotta love it when the journalist mention "big" in the same sentence as "40" TV". And the "expert" in watching TV is watching the "big" 40"TV from at least 10ft away.

Forget minute differences between cable, how can you distinguish between 480p and 1080p with a TV that tiny and that far of a watching distance is beyond me.

Regardless, I do agree that any cable sold at big box stores are excruciatingly overpriced. Dynex brand for $30? That's nuts considering the production cost including shipping and custom blister pack is less than $2.

#309 ·
#310 ·
^^^^
I was able to watch it on a different computer. I have no idea why one works and the other doesn't. They're both running the same version of Linux on the same network and both on the same IPv6 subnet. Both are getting DNS from my firewall too.

That certainly proves what I and others have often claimed about Monster cables. The Monster cable, at over 20x the cost, performed no better than the $12 cable. I've been hit with those Monster claims on a few occasions when buying from Future Shop (I will not shop at BB). What I do is say "Well, I can get the cable at Canada Computers for..." and they'll price match on thier generic cable. I tell others to do the same.

That one marketing manager at FS mentioned the pride of ownership of certain brands. I'd call it the pride of stupidity!

A fool and his money...

#311 ·
Box of crap!

Well I'm glad to have found this thread, to bad I already bought all my cables but one. At least I only spent 50 bucks per hdmi. Was prepared to go all out on my laptop hdmi, but thanks to the good people on this thread I won't be doing that.
Cheers

#312 ·
If you are within the return period I would suggest you return the items.

These stores promote price-matching and I am sure the "associates" know about the less expensive options available. They cross the line when they disparage the other cables as inferior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.