How to watch HD recordings without my laptop - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) and Media Extenders

Old 2009-09-30, 01:18 PM   #1
bozec75

Default How to watch HD recordings without my laptop

Hi folks

I hope this is the right forum, sorry if it's not. I'm just starting to record HD OTA and I'm running into a couple of snags so I hope you can help.

To start, I have a WinTV 950Q, laptop, ps3 and a linksys NAS.

I upgraded to WinTV 7 yesterday and played around with recording a bit. When I had WinTV 6, it recorded to mpeg and I could play it back on my ps3. When I upgraded to WinTV 7, it recorded to .ts. I found the place to convert it to mpeg, but when I recorded an hour last night the mpeg was only 27 minutes. The ts was the full hour. Something I did wrong?? Would shutting down WinTV too early cause that?

Today I played around with Vista media center. I love being able to record from the guide, but the recording was .ms and I didn't try but I doubt that it would play on my ps3 without conversion.

Any suggestions on what would be the best software to use (media center, WinTV 7, something else) that will record HD in a format that I can play back on my ps3?

Thanks
bozec75 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-09-30, 03:07 PM   #2
digitalforumguy

Try this thread:
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/629301

Looks like there are a bunch of options available.
digitalforumguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-09-30, 03:10 PM   #3
Bob_Mtl

There is an issue in WinTv v7 ts2ps.exe application wich convert the .ts file to .mpg. I recently updated WinTv 7 release 1.2 but didn't had time to verify if correction were made on the converter.

There is some freeware that can make the conversion from .ts if you really need to.
Bob_Mtl is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-10-02, 06:31 PM   #4
bozec75

Default I figured it out!!!

Yay!!!

So, the ps3 does play ts files. Unfortunately, being FAT32 the maximum file size is 4GB.

I found a great program called HDTV2MPEG2 to split the file into smaller chunks. Apparently it's good for removing commercials, but I haven't gone that far yet.. But it works perfectly to allow me to copy the files to the ps3. Everything is working fine!

Life is good!!!
bozec75 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2009-10-02, 11:49 PM   #5
White fish

I bought a WD TV HD media player
White fish is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.