Grounding the Antenna or Coaxial Cable? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Closed Thread

Old 2009-09-22, 11:00 PM   #1
rpali
Rookie

Question Grounding the Antenna or Coaxial Cable?

I'm relatively new here so please pardon me if this is a n00b question.

I've got a 4221HD mounted on my balcony and the coax comes into my apartment and connected directly to my PVR.

I was fine-tuning the antenna aiming this evening and noticed something extremely odd. The back of my hand brushed lightly against one of the bowtie elements and I felt a low voltage shock. I can grab it firmly and feel nothing, but if I touch it very lightly with the back of my hand or my arm, there's definitely voltage there.

I've been shocked by 120 volt AC and this is certainly not nearly so strong. I don't know it it's AC or not, but I never expected the active antenna elements to be energized.

What's the deal here? The antenna isn't grounded, but I wouldn't have expected this to be a problem outside a lightning strike. The coax cable is a total of three metres long and the distance between the antenna and the PVR is maybe two metres. I can't figure out what's going on here.

Any ideas? Is this a serious problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-09-22, 11:32 PM   #2
Jase88

Grounding antenna equipment isn't just about preventing/limiting damage from lightning.

The metal sheath around the dialectric of coax acts as a "faraday cage"; dissapating RF and electrical energy before it interferes with the centre conductor. Static discharge and buildup (or any electrical discharge or arcing) generates noise, which will negatively impact your reception.

Antennas will build up static charge--by the wind passing through the elements.

You need to find a way to ground the antenna. It can be difficult in a condo/apartment situation, but it must be done.
Old 2009-09-22, 11:42 PM   #3
rpali
Rookie

What specifically has to be grounded? The antenna or the mast to which I've mounted it to? They're both metal so I'm assuming it doesn't matter.

I'm curious though. If the antenna had picked up a static charge, the difference in potential should have equalized (between me and the antenna) fairly quickly. I detected no such change as I continued to try to feel the electricity. Very strange.
Old 2009-09-23, 01:00 AM   #4
Jase88

Both the antenna mast and the coax need to grounded (refer to the grounding thread).

You discharged the static when you touched the antenna. However, it will build up quickly again.
Old 2009-09-28, 10:48 AM   #5
bigbody300
Rookie

Exclamation Grounding the New Antenna or Coaxle Cable?

Hi guys

I just installed my exterior antenna, and i was wondering So i need to ground my ANTENNA or the COAXLE CABLE?

And how do i do it? I have been looking for the the GROUNDING THREAD but cannot find it.

Thanks.
Old 2009-09-28, 11:09 AM   #6
Cyclism

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62265
Closed Thread