Idea: Global and CTV share OTA transmitters? - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Television

Digital Home Helpful Information

Closed Thread

Old 2007-05-25, 09:12 PM   #16

actually i think they were talking about how there was no CH HD on cable/satellite

but close enough i guess
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-05-31, 04:50 PM   #17
feed monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 026163 View Post
^^ either way, the place where global would likely be up and running first would be Toronto, where theiy OTA HD signal is not needed, and then 5 years later, maybe Vancouer and Montreal.

As far as I'm conerned, go HD, or it's all the same. Sure SD is a bit better than analog, but either way, not even in the same decade as HD.

SD Widescreen wouldn't be that bad, or even better, an HD channel with upconverted Widescreen content, and then over time, TVO could add some HD content, maybe a pick up a few HD camcorders at Best Buy and shoot some stuff with those...etc
Global is currently building an HD Studio for Global National in Vancouver, and they'll be installing a trasmitter on Seymour as well. Management at the station says it will be up and running by the fall, but knowing how things work there, I'd say early 2008 is more likely.
Old 2009-09-11, 08:16 PM   #18
bcgirl
Rookie

Default In this world? - Broadcasters CAN (maybe) both have their cake and eat it too...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Let's see if our regulators has the guts to say this to Canwest Global.

Sir, I understand your statement about not wanting to put up OTA transmitters.
Now let me get this straight, OTA broadcaster have priority carriage on Cable and DTH, you want to give that up? OTA broadcasters have 20% more market, you want to give that up? And, last but not least, OTA broadcasters are granted SimSub onto US signals, you want to give that up too??

OKay, if that is what you want, the Canadian public will not hold you back, we will take your transmission license back since you don't need it anymore, we will in turn, grant you a catagory two license, you can negotiate directly with the BDUs for carriage.

Can't have your cake and eat it too....."

When I read this I snorted. Of course it's what SHOULD happen, but just for everyone's FYI, there is absolutely no indication whatsover that the regulators have any intention of taking such a stance. Any body believing that may want to think twice. The current leading plan best I can tell seems to be refit/rebuild the transmitters in the few largest cities of Canada and discontinue OTA everywhere else - current OTA users outside the biggest cities can go to cable. The broadcaster may keep SimSub and priority carriage rights but pay into a fund which would assist in making Canadian Programming. After all, OTA users account for only 10% or less of the total market, so who cares about them? And there's been no outcry from the public, so no problem....(This is what I've been told a number of times by a number of sources - I'm ready to scream!!)
Old 2009-09-11, 10:09 PM   #19
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

You've bumped a very old thread so I would ask that you read through this much newer one and contribute to it instead:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=103845

cheers
Closed Thread