Navigon App turns your iPhone into a GPS device - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Portable Electronics: Digital Cameras, Camcorders, ebook Readers, iPods, MP3 Players and GPS

Old 2009-08-06, 08:56 AM   #16
bucketo

Nuje, you are correct. I'm with you, running a prepaid Rogers SIM card with no data plan so this app became very attractive from that angle. The install has all the maps, POI etc, it doesn't need any data connection. Very sweet for anyone not sporting a data plan.
Advertisement

Old 2009-08-09, 08:51 PM   #17
Cyberaga

I say wait for the Tom Tom version of GPS for the iPhone... I think that one will be way better than this app...
Old 2009-08-19, 02:37 PM   #18
normancw

Question Not so sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberaga View Post
I say wait for the Tom Tom version of GPS for the iPhone... I think that one will be way better than this app...
PocketGPSWorld.com iPhone Navigation App Comparison Chart
I thought so too, but now I'm not so sure. Text-to-speech and traffic are planned for Navigon according to the chart above.
Old 2009-08-28, 10:40 PM   #19
normancw

Quote:
Originally Posted by normancw View Post
PocketGPSWorld.com iPhone Navigation App Comparison Chart
I thought so too, but now I'm not so sure. Text-to-speech and traffic are planned for Navigon according to the chart above.
Here's a good comparison review between TomTom and Navigon. Navigon comes out on top.
http://iphonetunes.net/index.php/app...ures_compared/
Old 2009-08-29, 09:22 AM   #20
tbusa

I've been using Navigon since I read on this forum and its great, For the price and how well it works with the only thing I can compare it to was my old C550 Garmin unit. I found the the software working with the 3g gps to be spot on right now to the meter. And all I did was use the ipod cable from my radio and listen to where I have to turn. There was no need to watch it while driving.

The bad: (not really, I just miss some features)
-load times : and be a bit slow, don't know if this is the software waiting for a GPS signal ?
- You can't load your own way points , the only thing I miss from using my old garmin, great for known "polica" hang outs esp when your in a city you don't known all too well.
- lack of traffic/delay data, there must be some way, but maybe I'm asking to much

and that's all I have to say , its great piece of software for the iphone.
Old 2009-08-29, 11:35 AM   #21
normancw

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbusa View Post
The bad: (not really, I just miss some features)
- lack of traffic/delay data, there must be some way, but maybe I'm asking to much
In the PocketGPSWorld chart (linked above), it mentions that traffic is coming to Navigon in the fall (in addition to text-to-speech) - hopefully it's true. I just wish the street name text was bigger/clearer. Other than that, I'm really happy with it.

Tags
iphone, navigon