CD or Record Shop? (Vancouver Area) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Where Can I buy and general buying discussions

Old 2009-04-12, 12:01 PM   #1
Bobby Clobber

Default CD or Record Shop? (Vancouver Area)

I just hooked up my old KLH speakers in my bedroom system, and realized that playing MP3's through a Roku Soundbridge doesn't cut it (internet radio such as Radio Paradise sounds pretty good, though).
So, for the first time in years, I'm shopping for CD's, maybe even some vinyl. When I lived in Toronto, I loved places like Peter Dunn's Vinyl Museum.
Any similar shops in the Vancouver/Richmond area?
Advertisement

Old 2009-04-12, 01:07 PM   #2
stampeder
OTA Forum Moderator

Default How about Burnaby along the SkyTrain line?

Its a long way from Steveston but Burnaby CD Exchange is a great little shop. You get off the SkyTrain at Metrotown and walk southeast from the mall past the Rec Centre onto Imperial St. and go a couple of blocks east and its on the north side.

Burnaby CD Exchange
4853 Imperial St,
Burnaby, BC
604-439-7666
Old 2009-04-12, 04:23 PM   #3
Bobby Clobber

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampeder View Post
Its a long way from Steveston but Burnaby CD Exchange is a great little shop...
Thanks, I'll try it if I'm in the neighbourhood.
Yesterday I stopped at Future Shop, their selection is horrible. HMV was a little better, and I picked up Middle Cyclone by Neko Case.
Today, I found Red Cat on Main Street. It's a small shop, but they have a pretty good selection of new and used CD's and Vinyl! I was browsing through the racks, and saw a lot of Calexico titles. I asked the guy working there if he could tell me about this band. He gave me a great answer, suggesting their first two CD's. He also gave his detailed review, saying that he had listened to them "hundreds of times". So, I picked up Feast of Wire and The Black Light. Definitely expensive compared to iTunes, but I don't mind paying extra to support a true record store.
On my walk, I also saw Neptoons and Adagio, but they were closed. Anybody care to comment on those two?

Last edited by 57; 2009-04-12 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Quote shortened.
Old 2009-04-12, 07:09 PM   #4
polaris

There are few record shops downtown, but I am a few years out of DJ'ing and a move to Toronto has left me out of hte loop a bit now. Beat Stree Records has new music on vinyl, mostly hiphop and electronic I bet. Granville at Robson st. has a few used music and video stores also.
Old 2009-04-18, 03:49 PM   #5
The Rang

What about The Beat Merchant?
Great little shop.....in Steveston.

http://www.beatmerchant.com/

Neptoon is mainly vinyl, new and used. I'm not a vinyl collector (anymore) so I don't know how they rate.

Adagio is geared more to the Classical and Jazz fans.
They are the cities best resource for hi-rez (SACD) music.

There's also Audiopile on Copmmercial Drive
Old 2009-04-18, 11:04 PM   #6
Bobby Clobber

I live a few blocks away from the Beat Merchant. I pop in once and a while, but I usually walk out emply handed.

By the way, today was Record Store Day! Neptoons had a small stage in the front of the store, with a lineup of five bands playing. I can't remember their name, but there was a very loud band rocking out when I dropped in and lots of people enjoying them. And you're right, Neptoons has a large and interesting inventory of vinyl, and a fairly good selection of used CD's.
Down the street at Red Cat it was a more mellow affair with acoustic acts playing on the sidewalk outside. I picked up my first vinyl in years, Bill Chase for $5 (Quadraphonic), and Los Lobos "By the Light of the Moon", $8. Both sounded great on my TT, but I'm keeping my eye out for a better one.

It was a fun way to while away a few hours on a sunny Saturday afternoon.

Last edited by Bobby Clobber; 2009-04-18 at 11:05 PM. Reason: speling
Old 2009-04-19, 01:40 AM   #7
ran94

Zulu Records on 4th Avenue has both. http://www.zulurecords.com/
Old 2009-04-19, 10:53 AM   #8
Bobby Clobber

Thanks for the suggestions folks!
For those not in the Vancouver area, check this out:

http://www.recordstoreday.com/Home

Record Store Day is over, but you may want to check out the participating stores list for a cool indie shop in your neighbourhood.