DIY - Speaker Bi-wires - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2009-03-03, 08:32 AM   #1
monza
Rookie

Cool DIY - Speaker Bi-wires

I plan on making my own bi-wires. The prices out there are ridiculous.

Does anyone have any suggestions where I can get a good 14/4 or 12/4 spool there.

Correct me if I am wrong.

I need the following requirements:

1. Has to be OFC
2. A good number of strands (>29)
3. Cable should have shielding
4. High end pass should have silver strands

I would appreciate recomendations and advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-03-03, 09:38 AM   #2
Bent
Veteran

http://www.apexjr.com/wire.html
Old 2009-03-03, 11:14 AM   #3
dmoes

Before you get too wrapped up on the quality of the wire read this.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=102507

Shielding is not necesary for speaker wire. If you have RF interference coming through the wire there are simpler better ways to trap that. but thats not likely unless you are a Ham radio operator or CBer or live next to one.

For good not so expensive wire you could check out local music stores like Long and McQuade. they sell APEX products who makes 4X14AWG, 4X12AWG and 8X14AWG cables in various lengths. They usually have ends on them the 4 conductor cables I saw have Speakon SP4 connectors but you could remove them they might also have similar cable with Banana connectors we use these with only two wires at the theatre (with Speakons) and they are heavy duty but still quite flexible

also there are lots of 4 conductor cables available at electrical retailers and hardware stores like Rona or TSC it my not be so pretty but will work really well just look in the electrical section.

Last edited by dmoes; 2009-03-03 at 11:18 AM. Reason: fix some bad spelling and grammar
Old 2009-03-03, 11:57 AM   #4
monza
Rookie

Dnoes thanks for the reply and advice. I will try those sites.

I deal with a lot of wiring at work where TC wires and pressure transducers lines have to be shielded to avoid noise while acquiring data acquisition.

When they say 10 or 12 awg 4 conductor, does that mean each of the 4 conductors are 10 or 12 gauge or itmeans the total diameter of the whole cable.
Old 2009-03-03, 02:29 PM   #5
dmoes

the APEX speaker wires we have at the theatre are definitly 14 or 12 guage each conductor. our 100Ft lines are 12AWG. we tend to pound them with lots of power occasionally for sound effects in live theatre so I would have tossed them in the trash long ago if they were anything less. they are not shielded. I am sure if you poke arround the net you will find other wires made for comercial and stage work that is heavy guage and shielded. we have a line from the controll booth that is 10 conductor 16AWG shielded that we used for phone ringers and doorbells I think this came from Willam F White but if memory serves it cost a fortune. It did solve the blinking stage lights when we rang the doorbell or a phone on stage.
Old 2009-03-03, 05:48 PM   #6
jlet
Veteran

Note: Bi-amping is fine, but many (including myself) consider Bi-wiring (aka "buy-wiring") as nothing more than a marketing gimmick to sell more expensive speaker wire. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi-wiring.
Old 2009-03-03, 10:17 PM   #7
dmoes

Default check out the add at the bottom

when I just looked at this thread the add was for bi-wire cables at
http://www.jpslabs.com/superconductor_fx.shtml

intersting how the adds target the subject of the thread in the forums.

of course it will change for the next guy so dont shoot me when its something else for you
Old 2009-03-04, 12:33 AM   #8
Dadius

Quote:
Note: Bi-amping is fine, but many (including myself) consider Bi-wiring (aka "buy-wiring") as nothing more than a marketing gimmick to sell more expensive speaker wire. See
And/or to sell more wire period.
Old 2009-03-04, 12:55 AM   #9
ScaryBob
Veteran

I've had biwiring for years and firmly believe in its advantages. OTOH, I only use it for the front speakers and my equipment is probably better than most. I actually use some fairly esoteric, thin gauge, solid, 4 conductor cable. It was a big improvement over the lamp cord I was using. OTOH, if you listen to MP3s or watch MKVs, the difference will not be noticeable. I could only notice the difference on better quality recordings. Now, I can't even hear that since my hearing is nowhere near what it was 10 years ago. I did not spend a lot on the wire anyway. It was about twice the cost of standard Home Depot speaker wire and the distances are short.
Old 2009-03-04, 01:41 AM   #10
TECHNOKID
Veteran

The only advantage I could see in bi-wiring is the unwanted signal return from the driver back to the tweeter and vice versa but this would be with considerable lenght of cable otherwise, I agree that it is simply buy-wiring gimick!
Old 2009-03-04, 08:04 AM   #11
monza
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlet View Post
Note: Bi-amping is fine, but many (including myself) consider Bi-wiring (aka "buy-wiring") as nothing more than a marketing gimmick to sell more expensive speaker wire. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bi-wiring.
Interesting point. As per the article, are there any tests made to prove otherwise.
Old 2009-03-04, 08:14 AM   #12
monza
Rookie

I am pretty much getting mixed signals here. I already had made up my mind to use bi-wires, but refuse to pay the high-prices of those wires, thus making the cables myself.

So far I have:

1. Apex
2. JPS labs

Has anyone here made their own speaker cable? Who was your supplier? And what type of wire/conductor did you use?
Old 2009-03-04, 09:34 AM   #13
monza
Rookie

Default 4 conductor - 14 awg silver strand shielded

Fellas this is what I plan on getting. 50 foot for $77 including shipping. http://www.htd.com/speaker-cables-ac...-speaker-cable

1. Is this a good competitive price.
2. This site does not sell any gold plated bananas or spades. Any suggestions.

I appreciate all the help and advice. This forum is great.

Last edited by monza; 2009-03-04 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added link