Need advice on HDTV antenna in Toronto - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > HDTV: High Definition Television including LCD and Plasma

Closed Thread

Old 2009-02-10, 02:17 AM   #1
ac13
Rookie

Default Need advice on HDTV antenna in Toronto

New TV, new to OTA, need an antenna....many questions, help!

I live in a ground floor condo in Toronto 2.2km from the CN tower facing almost due west (290 degrees). There are no obstructions immediately outside my window as there is a park just outside my building and then another larger building further on which I suspect I am catching reflected signals from on the bunny ears I have right now. Currently I receive CityTVHD(rarely choppy) CtvHD (always clear), both OmniHD channels, SunHD and a fairly choppy CBCHD.

I have a space about 3(H)x5(w)x3(d)ft in my ceiling where I can stash an antenna that faces the large outdoor windows. What antenna should I put up there? Outdoor is not an option due to condo restrictions.

Do I have a hope of getting Buffalo stations? A guy a Kromerís assured me I would with the Terk HDTVo (seems like an amplified version of a silver sensor) but I took this with a grain of salt. People seem to have their hate on for Terk from what Iíve read but I have no experience to base an opinion on. It would fit perfectly though.

Also when I moved in the cable was never disconnected and its been like that for ages, now when I plug in the coax to my TV (Samsung LN52A650) I get a whole bunch of channels beyond 13 that I didnít before(Is my Tv unscrambling QAM signals?). Problem is they look terrible, Is there any way of cleaning these up? Like a 3rd party tuner box or something? Is there one available that could also take my HDTV antenna signal as well?

Iím really only interested in HD content and I find it hard to justify the expense of a cable package I wonít use (or already get) just to get a couple extra channels.

Iíve tried to read up on this (this forum has been an immense help) but I think now Iím just at the point where I should ask people who know....thanks!
ac13 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2009-02-10, 08:11 AM   #2
hugh
Member #1

ac13, we have three forums for discussing OTA reception so you've come to the right place. This forum is for discussing HD televisions so you will need to post in the OTA forums.

Everything you need to get started is here. Once you've had a chance to read that, check out the OTA Reception results thread.

Good luck
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, hdtv, toronto

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.