Blu-ray Disc Prices not Dropping Any Time Soon - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2008-12-09, 05:00 PM   #46
hockeymancw

My local Wal-mart has expanded the bluray displays, they currently have the cube, with 2 tvs showing bluray and discs on the bottom and sides, a side of the new release dvd pallet, an end with bluray from top to bottom, 2 profit panels and a full 8 foot section in the dvd section with lots of $16.97 titles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-12-09, 05:52 PM   #47
Ctaver

I got Shoot Em Up Blu-ray for $8.97 when Walmart had the sale on.

Today I picked up The Dark Knight Blu-ray for $26.49 competition pricing...Amazon Canada.

There are deals to be had, just have to look for them,some of the older ones can be had for $19.99,$16.97.

Today I was looking for Journey to the Centre of the Earth & the regular DVD was $27.99, the Blu-ray $29.99.

I can buy 100 Sony blank DVD-R for around $22.95,yet prices for DVD's are still too high. Even the Dual-Layer DVD blanks are cheaper when on sale.

Blu-ray Blank disks are still very expensive.Sure we would all like to have lower prices,but I guess the companies still have to make a profit or we get nothing.(We would have to see their books to determine the actual cost vs. the selling price).

I am not going to replace my entire DVD collection with Blu-ray as they look fantastic up converted,Just some really exceptional ones.

One example of high way robbery was the Mr. & Mrs Smith Blu-ray, you would think this thing was Gold Plated, it sold for $44.99 at FS,recently it dropped to $24.99.

Not all Blu-ray are created equally, Some Include a Digital copy, some do not even have a lossless sound track, so pricing should reflect that. It was mentioned on a recent review of The Dark Knight that Warner should have left the first disk for movie only, to improve the quality of the video,so what they spend should determine what we have to spend on a Blu-ray.

Last edited by Ctaver; 2008-12-09 at 06:23 PM.
Old 2008-12-09, 07:10 PM   #48
granduncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctaver View Post
One example of high way robbery was the Mr. & Mrs Smith Blu-ray...
First, it's FOX.
Second, they have to pay for the "DRM for a decade" - BD+...
Old 2009-01-12, 01:44 PM   #49
sonoyuu
Rookie

Default I will eat a little crow here

Now that the holiday season is behind us, I feel it is fair to review some of my previous comments.

I will still say that BD recorded media is still rediculously expensive, and I think it is a LONG way away from being used for desktop gaming or other applications involving software.

On the other side of the coin, after having purchased 14 BDs in the last couple of months, I have mixed reviews.

The movies I have seen that were made in the last 5 years are where Blu Ray shines. My friends can see the difference, my wife can, and I too can see the dramatic increase in quality afforded by the increased storage capacity of BDs. The older movies I found were still quite grainy (as much or more so than the DVD of the same title). Animated movies were disapointing as (of course) they were not what Blue Ray was created for.

Do I still think BDs are pricy? Yes. Have I found some amazing deals? Yes.

If you have a decent sized display, good audio, and a movie made in the last 5 years, then Blu Ray is worth the investment for a home player. However, I do not see the BD market being of much use to your average computer.

I'm still adopting a "we'll wait and see" attitude. If the price comes down, Id' say it's a viable replacement for the DVD, though I feel it will take a few years to come into it's own.

- sonoyuu

Tags
blu-ray, prices