Are all mini-usb chargers interchangeable between devices? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Portable Electronics: Digital Cameras, Camcorders, ebook Readers, iPods, MP3 Players and GPS

Old 2008-11-17, 09:21 PM   #1
wm_cheng

Question Are all mini-usb chargers interchangeable between devices?

Hi all,

I seem to be getting a plethora of mini-USB wall chargers all charging devices that are charged via their mini-USB ports either via wall chargers, car lighter socket chargers or via a laptop/computer's USB port.

The question is are these chargers interchangeable - I would assume so since they all can charge straight from a USB port - but I notice that the wall chargers seem to have different mA ratings - does this matter? Will the device just draw an appropriate amount regardless of charger? It would be nice to only carry one set of cables around and have one wall charger and one car charger for all my devices.

Thanks,
Advertisement

Old 2008-11-17, 11:20 PM   #2
BGY11
Veteran

As long as it's 5V / 500mA or 1A, you should be fine.

(the 1A chargers will charge quicker than a regular USB port on a computer will, but the 500mA ones will charge at the same speed).
Old 2008-11-17, 11:38 PM   #3
wm_cheng

Thats what I was worrying about, the Motorola V3 charger is 550mA and my GPS and HTC Touch charger is 1A. If I plug the Motorola V3 into the 1A charger, will it only draw what it needs, or will it heat up and be "over" current (I don't know what the term is) but would I risk damaging the electronics? Or would it just charge faster?

I would guess there is no risk in plugging in something that expects a 1A charger to a 550mA charger right? It would just take longer right?
Old 2008-11-18, 01:05 PM   #4
Michael DeAbreu

You can't use inexpensive powered USB hubs to charge all devices. In my case, a Samsung MP3 player would charge, but an iPod nano would not. I think the hub I was using was rated 500 mA.

There are dedicated USB chargers from $14.00 to $40.00. Name brands (Belkin, Monster, iPod) being ridiculously expensive.
Old 2008-11-18, 01:14 PM   #5
Deckster

I use the travel charger that came with my Motorola bluetooth headset to charge my HTC Touch in the car (I have a 110v outlet in the car) leaving my 12V outlet available for other devices. It charges a little slower than the HTC's charger, but there have been no issues with over-heating or problems with getting a full charge.