Cleaning Hockey Equipment in the wash? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > News, Weather, and Sports

Old 2008-11-12, 05:30 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default Cleaning Hockey Equipment in the wash?

My son plays a LOT of hockey and so his equipment gets worn a lot.

Our coach says you can through all of this hockey equipment (shoulder pads, elbow pads, shin guards, gloves and pants) in the wash and they will be okay.

I have washed the shoulder, elbow and shin guards in the wash but I am hesitant with gloves and hockey pants.

Any cleaning tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-11-12, 10:51 PM   #2
rpr

I have had good luck with just spraying the equipment with Febreeze Anti-Bacteria and hanging it all up to dry properly. I've done that for two years (playing twice a week), without washing the equipment (I still wash the socks, shorts and jerseys regularly), and there is no 'funk'. I can definitely tell who does the same on my team by aroma alone...
rpr is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-12, 11:04 PM   #3
i hate tv

I don't know if he does this, but when he gets home, taking the equipment out of the bag to "air" it out will help minimize the funk...
I do this, with some febreeze as rpr does, and it keeps the smell down
i hate tv is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-12, 11:05 PM   #4
jvincent

The pants should be OK. Just take out the pads out of the pockets.

I would not wash the gloves. If they are leather it will get all funky.
jvincent is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-13, 12:04 AM   #5
john33

Dont wash the gloves (the stinkier - the better for face-washing your opponents ! - sorry just kidding - kids hockey ) Wipe everything down with a mild solution of Mr Clean and dry out. BTW my 16 year - old plays midget - his equipment isnt allowed past the garage .I always make sure he hangs everything up. Just plain nasty when left in the bag !!
john33 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-13, 01:40 AM   #6
spensar

Front or top loading machine? We got the LG Tromm front loader a few years ago and it works a lot better for hockey gear and soccer shinpads than top loaders since the gear does not float and there is more capacity.

I wash my sons equipment about 3 times a year. Lots of Shout or Spray N Wash, and Borax in feeder to supplement the detergent, and put on all the prewash, extra rinse and heaviest duty cycle available. Borax is good for the smell and extra cleaning. The gear comes out pretty good after that.

I've done the gloves if there is a lot of time to let them dry out, though it may not be the best for the leather.
Old 2008-11-13, 03:04 AM   #7
petedran

There is a local company that builds machines that wash hockey equipment. Doesnt look like they have any in toronto.
http://www.esporta.ca/
http://dev.esporta.ca/default.asp
http://dev.esporta.ca/locations/Mapc...=9#showDetails
petedran is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-13, 10:46 AM   #8
hockeymancw

I used to take mine to the dry cleaners, they would do all the equipment except the skates for $60. It never hurt the equipment and it came out smelling fresh. They even did the helmet.
hockeymancw is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2008-11-17, 11:16 PM   #9
polaris

Many rink pro shops have the machines. Chesswood in N. York does.
polaris is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.