Has Starchoice ever done Reciever trade in's - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2008-10-08, 03:12 PM   #31
Thunter

Yea I got the same offer. But it is nothing compared to the Bell's 50% off offer I am makeing the switch to Bell this afternoon unless Starchoice Blows me away with a deal when I cancel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2008-10-08, 03:21 PM   #32
TheHans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunter View Post
Yea I got the same offer. But it is nothing compared to the Bell's 50% off offer I am makeing the switch to Bell this afternoon unless Starchoice Blows me away with a deal when I cancel.
As I said in an earlier post, we were offered half-price ($350) for the 550 and free shipping. This was a straight $350, no progamming credit involved. I believe the team leader's name was Raj. We ended up with that plus a $50 PPV credit as an offer. Though Raj didn't offer us the programming credit and I don't remember the name of the man who did. But we went for 505s instead. You should tell them this and try and get this offer. Which is basically the same as Bell's price if you include the PPV credit. If you're a long-time customer and pay on time, you should be able to get this too.

The Hans
Old 2008-10-08, 04:54 PM   #33
EmmEff

Quote:
Originally Posted by "powershotpro
A 10 second email gets this response:
I got a similar reply. I just found it insulting that I stayed on the phone for over 30 minutes to talk to a "manager" and was offered less.

I'd be quite happy with the $350 offer without the programming credit.
Old 2008-10-08, 05:31 PM   #34
Thunter

Well I called and canceled Starchoice and the Deal they offered was to adjust my programing and to lower my bill and give me $10 off a month on top of that. So I would be saving about $15 a month. BUT I still had to pay $699 for the hdDvr and they would throw in free Installation. So I canceled and will go to Bell
Old 2008-10-08, 10:46 PM   #35
EmmEff

I would go to Bell as well if it weren't for all the complaints about poor picture quality. I can't win either way and Rogers is not an option.

I guess for now I'll stick with what I have and dream about owning a PVR that doesn't suck.
Old 2008-10-30, 10:48 AM   #36
TheRipper
Rookie

I would not go to Bell .. they make *C look good

I bought a refurb 530 some 14 months ago .. at the time I was a disgruntled customer (they had really pissed me about) and they compensated me with a special offer at $199, with free shipping and inc'd a new free dish & LNB plus free dish relocation. The unit arrived in 2 days and was fitted the next along with the new dish/LNB.
Loved the unit .. except for the excessive number of lock ups and reboots required to keep it running.
It has been getting progressively worse. I've had to periodically power it down and let it restart to get out of locked screens and get the guide to work. A month ago I had to reset it 12 times in a row to get it to even work. Two days ago it gave up the ghost altogether .. it lights up and displays a picture, but you can't change channels, all my PVR recordings have disappeared (and are lost forever), and I now I can't even access any menus to factory reset the unit.
*C have decided it's toast and will now replace it with a 'new in the box' unit, free of charge and no shipping charges. That took some persuading, but they came thru and decided I was a customer worth keeping and made me this offer.
I am extremely pleased with *C's customer service when you actually get hold of someone and keep them on the line. In my experience they will really go the extra mile to assist and resolve problems. The 530 certainly seems to be a big problem tho.

They really need to improve the time it takes to actually get thru to them .. and the way the calls get dropped and you have to call back (and you'll get someone else).
Old 2008-10-30, 02:40 PM   #37
EmmEff

Unfortunately, there is absolutely nothing *C can do about the garbage hardware that Motorola has provided. I've given up on the 530 unless it comes REAL cheap (and it'd have to be to put up with this substandard quality electronics).

There is no guarantee that the replacement unit will be any better. There is a reason for the multitude of complaints about the 530 on this forum...

Tags
receiver, trade