CRTC Reviewing Proposed HD OTA Network for Canada - Page 9 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Closed Thread

Old 2008-02-14, 12:50 AM   #121
Walter Dnes

Looking at some of the interventions, my impression is that the original application will not be approved. The current OTA broadcasters are hammering him for how little content HDTV Networks Inc. will produce themselves. Indeed, Bitove has replied to those comments by promising to revise his plans, and produce more content. I see one of 2 possibilities...
  • The CRTC rejects the application outright, or
  • The CRTC approves the application but, as a condition of the licence, significantly boosts the number of hours per week of original content the network has to produce
Advertisement

Old 2008-02-14, 01:08 AM   #122
Random Dude

Should this be approved, would this be another national commercial network similar to Global or CTV?

I kind of hope for our sake that it does get approved, because we need another network. Not only would it produce original programming, but instead of certain programms airing on secondary networks and systems like A-Channel or E!, certain shows can get more exposure.
Old 2008-02-14, 01:22 AM   #123
MAXAM

Does the CRTC still telecast their hearings? I checked all the channels on Vancouver Shaw Cable and couldn't find anything! Several years ago I used to watch the parade of smooth talking TV representatives outlining their network's proposals for a TV licence etc. and their promises of tons of original Canadian programming if only they would be granted the coveted licence! Yeah, right!
Old 2008-02-14, 08:19 AM   #124
JJJBBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
And then who knows when it goes live and if it has any decent content. There was lots of excitement when HD-Net came to Canada but I must say that I almost never watch it as the content is very weak. I am worried that this channel will be the same.
You would not say the same thing if they had given us HD-Net Movies , this is a great sister channel to HD-Net with tons of amazing movies in HD with no ads or editing. The CRTC always has a way of giving us a little and holding back the best. This will never change. I do love NASA on HD-Net what a show when the shuttle goes up!

Last edited by JJJBBB; 2008-02-14 at 08:34 AM.
Old 2008-02-14, 09:03 PM   #125
Walter Dnes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Dnes View Post
Indeed, Bitove has replied to those comments by promising to revise his plans, and produce more content.
And it's local content at that. The Globe and mail has more detail at http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...echnology/home
Quote:
Altering his proposal, Mr. Bitove said the network would carry two hours of local programming a week at each of its stations. While that could ease some of the regulator's concerns as it considers whether to allow a new network after a wave of industry consolidation, rival broadcasters said it is not enough.
Quote:
CRTC chairman Konrad von Finckenstein acknowledged this week that Mr. Bitove's proposal could require a new category of licence unless the application was changed to include local programming.
Old 2008-02-18, 10:27 AM   #126
Francois Caron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXAM View Post
Does the CRTC still telecast their hearings? I checked all the channels on Vancouver Shaw Cable and couldn't find anything! Several years ago I used to watch the parade of smooth talking TV representatives outlining their network's proposals for a TV licence etc. and their promises of tons of original Canadian programming if only they would be granted the coveted licence! Yeah, right!
Not all hearings are televised as was the case with these hearings. But when they are, you can follow them on-line at http://www.cpac.ca . You even have the floor mic option if you're bilingual and can't stand the lousy translations.

Even when they're not televised, you can still listen to the audio feeds from the CRTC's Web site, but you don't have the floor mic option. But you still get to listen to what is sometimes the most BORING public proceedings I've ever heard in my entire life!

If I ever end up participating in a CRTC hearing, I promise to liven things up a bit. I'll even show up in a costume if I have to!
Old 2008-02-18, 11:14 AM   #127
MAXAM

Thanks for the info, Francois! I agree they can be pretty boring. I recall the network, individual station, and cable/satellite reps all had similar lines of patter. They were very well-dressed, overly polite, and all promised to do great things if they were permitted, by the CRTC, to obtain what they wanted. We all know how that usually turns out!
Old 2008-04-03, 01:12 PM   #128
smallmj

Should this thread be closed now so that all discussion about the denial will go on the new thread? 2 parallel discussions are always so confusing.

Mark
Old 2008-04-03, 01:18 PM   #129
Wayne
Veteran

I would think that the other thread(s) should be closed as this one has seniority.
Old 2008-04-03, 01:22 PM   #130
hugh
Member #1

Well the CRTC has stopped reviewing (which was the purpose of this thread) and a decision made so I think we should migrate to the thread discussing the decision

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84105
Closed Thread