Clean those connections... - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2004

Old 2004-01-03, 12:57 AM   #1

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD
Default Clean those connections...

Well, I just finished painting my home theatre room (the colour my spouse wanted, so she's happy) and it looks great. Moved everything back and sat down to relax.

Since I had cleaned all my connections a few months back (routine maintenance and cleaning) I didn't do it this time, but I saw some weird almost horizontal lines on my composite video connection. S-Video and component were fine. Checked everything, but still those weird lines (almost like looking through a fence with horizontal cabling only, except they tilted up at the right a bit - never saw anything like it - lines about 1" appart.

Well, eventually I disconnected the composite cable from the receiver and from the TV, cleaned the connectors, reinserted it and everything was fine again. I can only assume that moving the TV had "weakened" the connection slightly (I'm using a good quality cable). Oh well, at least it turned out OK. I guess I should have used the opportunity to clean those connections after all...

So, if you've ever noticed a problem after moving your equipment, check and clean those connections. There are lots of times people report problems on this forum due to poor cable/connections...
Advertisement

Old 2004-01-03, 07:43 AM   #2
Vinyl

I concur , I had the horizontal incident exactly as you stated it , the solution , as prescribed.

I'm sounding like an MD :-?
Old 2004-01-03, 12:49 PM   #3
JohnnyG
Veteran

I would think this is more than likely a bad cable or connector than a dirt or oxidation issue.