What are unacceptable usernames? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Digital Forum Help Information

Digital Home Helpful Information

Closed Thread

Old 2007-10-09, 11:48 PM   #1
hugh
Member #1

Default What are unacceptable usernames?

The following is from the Rules of the Forum regarding usernames.

Quote:
No obscene or offensive usernames - we reserve the right to not allow a username that might be deemed offensive. In addition, usernames that contain obscene language, denigrate individuals and/or organizations will not be tolerated and the user banned. This includes usernames such as CompanyA_sucks or S%^head.
In our forum, we typically prevent usernames that contain various four letter words that your mother told you not to use. In addition, we try and prevent usernames with overt sexual connotations such as "Sexykitten" or "TenInchRod" that many users might find in poor taste.

Beyond the obvious, there are sometimes situations where we ask users to change their usernames because they are borderline and we simply wish to avoid complaints and embarrassing situations.

One such example was the user that called himself "Jackass". At first we thought it could be a bit rude but did not act immediately, however, after we had several senior members complain we asked the user to select a new name.

Upon being asked to change his username, the member then proceeded to call Digital Home many nasty names and told us to go do something that we are not sure is physically possible. He also said that we suppressed free speech etc etc.

Folks, the truth is that we are simply trying to avoid inflammatory posts and usernames. This is not a civil rights issue rather its an attempt to be informative rather than offensive.

Please, if you are asked to change your username, please comply and try to understand that we are only try to make the Digital Forum a friendly place for all.

Hugh

Last edited by hugh; 2007-10-10 at 12:03 AM.
hugh is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.