CNET Editor wishes HD-DVD to Surrender by September - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Blu-ray, DVD and in the theatres.

Old 2007-03-31, 01:02 PM   #151
Beef

james99, good answer, thank-you. That's a reasonable perspective.

As a consumer, I too am annoyed. As a BD owner, I am a casualty because I cannot purchase the greatest epic saga ever made...The Blues Brothers is a Universal property.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2007-03-31, 09:34 PM   #152
calvin940
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post
Try this:

First ask "have you heard of (Blu-ray/HD DVD)?"

If they answer yes, then ask "can you explain what it is?"

If they answer no, then ask "what do you think it might be?"
I am sure I could ask them a whole scientifically significant questionnaire with properly worded questions etc. I was only interested in seeing if there was any brand recognition from marketing. And as I stated while not scientific, it was still interesting.

Guessing as to what it is doesn't go towards marketing. Certainly, I suspect that the majority of the 5 that don't know either one will likely have a reasonable guess at what HD DVD is, but that to me doesn't mean much. At the point they are ready to look into HD content, they will be doing a bit of homework and discovering all available before plunking down the cash to buy either format/player in which case other questions will come to mind like content selection, pricing, etc.

Cal
Old 2007-04-02, 11:00 AM   #153
JohnnyG
Veteran

So you're stating "what's in a name?" and talking about marketing in the same breath?
Old 2007-04-02, 12:13 PM   #154
calvin940
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post
So you're stating "what's in a name?" and talking about marketing in the same breath?
Hmm.. you have a point. I guess I did diverge there. I'll skip the marketing stuff (even tho both are kinda off-topic or on topic of the thread).

The reason I made the statement about DVD in the name was because I actually heard someone say ".. but we already have a DVD player.." to one of the sales people when they were talking about a HD DVD player. Admittedly I didn't hear the what had transpired before and I wasn't lingering, but I had made the earlier comment because I was wondering how many people might be negatively impacted by the name. Then the name made me think of brand recognition and marketing.. so I digressed.

Cal
Old 2007-04-02, 01:32 PM   #155
james99

There is also confusion between upconverting DVD players (which were markted as High Def DVD players) and HD DVD players.
Old 2007-04-02, 07:07 PM   #156
lapopal

Yes, I have seen retailers use the buy this TV and get a free HD player a 199 value (BB comes to mind on more than a few occasions) I have also seen Sony do the same thing with their upconverting players.
Old 2007-04-03, 11:27 AM   #157
Arthur Dent
Veteran

The marketing wars based on name will begin when hi-def players are readily available for $199 and less in Wal-mart. For now, the few J6Ps that have heard of BluRay from their friends in IT and the the annoying sales kids at Future Shop, regard it as a potential purchase as much as they do a Lamborghini. HD DVD is not much better, but is at least in the "Corvette" territory. There's a long way for both formats to the golden "Honda Civic" price level, and that is when J6P will decide what to purchase based on name, brand recognition and title selection.
Old 2007-04-03, 01:27 PM   #158
JonO

I guess we're veering a bit of topic, but further to what Arthur said, the time it takes to get the price within the desired level is when both side will be working on their marketing.

That's why, as much as it annoys early adaptors and many who actually understand the technology, the statements made by sony are smart. Confident comments about the certainty that their product will defeat the other may seem hollow to us, but will affect the average consumer at purchase time... (even if they have only backed it up just a little)
Old 2007-04-03, 03:06 PM   #159
Arthur Dent
Veteran

J6P does not know anything about any Sony comments on the subject. He does not read the web sites or magazines we read.
Old 2007-04-03, 03:34 PM   #160
calvin940
Veteran

But J6P takes the advice of "techie" or "non-J6P" sales people/friends/relatives and if the message works on them, it will be relayed to J6P.

Not to mention, I think our concept of J6P needs a bit of a lift. I know a few people I would easily classify as J6P, and more of them are doing rudementary web searches/browsing.

Cal
Old 2007-04-03, 03:51 PM   #161
Arthur Dent
Veteran

I'm not saying that J6P does not use the Internet, just that our geek gossip about what has been said on a subject that does not interests him a tiny bit is worthless.
YMMV, but I've never had a person from that group approach me with a question about HD DVD, BluRay or even SD DVD players (they just buy a $59 player without too much research), let alone a question of the sort "Did anybody at Sony's marketing department say anything about who is expected to win the hi-def format war?
Old 2007-04-03, 04:03 PM   #162
calvin940
Veteran

All facetiousness aside, I have had plenty of my friends' fathers or mothers ask me about recommendations on electronic, computer, gadgets, <insert any technology item, new thing etc> and I am telling you that if the those Sony messages (or any other vendor messaging) works on me or others like me, then I will use it in my decision to recommend items to those people and those messages will have done their jobs quite nicely.

Cal
Old 2007-04-03, 04:51 PM   #163
Arthur Dent
Veteran

With all due respect, but even those who seek your advice about a DVD player, will most likely ignore it, if you recommend a $799 purchase when there is one available for $59. My point is and was that it is too early to involve J6P in this game. And before he gets involved, there will be no winners in the war. Actually "war" is too strong a word for what is going on right now.
Old 2007-04-03, 06:33 PM   #164
calvin940
Veteran

ok, I won't belabour this, but I am aware and smart enough to understand what my target audience is looking for and what they are willing to pay.

I also didn't say that J6P was getting involved right at this moment, but that when this were to happen, either they will do what you suggest which is just simply buy the cheapest or look to others they know for recommendations (and at that time, I suspect the pricing between units will not have such a price difference).

Cal
Old 2007-04-04, 06:45 PM   #165
Gord Lacey
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Dent View Post
YMMV, but I've never had a person from that group approach me with a question about HD DVD, BluRay or even SD DVD players (they just buy a $59 player without too much research), let alone a question of the sort "Did anybody at Sony's marketing department say anything about who is expected to win the hi-def format war?
I actually got into a discussion about Blu-ray and HD DVD with 4 drunk army guys at a party one night. They were very interested in the pros and cons of each format, and none of them were leaning one way or the other when the discussion started.

I've also helped pick out at least 10 DVD players for people, and none of them sold for $59

Gord