DVI vs. HDMI? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Digital Forum Help and Administration > Archives > 2006

Old 2006-12-27, 02:50 AM   #1
nutsnbolts

Default DVI vs. HDMI?

Hey there, I can afford a MOTO 6200 non pvr unit, but I hesitate as it has only the DVI output. Am I gonna run into some problems down the road with some HD audio formats that would normally be piped down the HDMI? Or will I be covered by utilizing the optical out? Any input would be great!

Cheers!

Last edited by nutsnbolts; 2006-12-27 at 03:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-12-27, 04:03 AM   #2
elapsed

You'll have no problems down the road, the new HD audio formats (Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc) won't be used in television broadcasts for many, many years to come. The bandwidth isn't anywhere near available yet.
Old 2006-12-27, 11:55 AM   #3
Sonisame

ya, but its such a pain, to get audio to your tv when you are using dvi connection on 6200, As many people hate to put a receiver/speakers for audio in their living rooms(I am not talking about dedicated theater rooms) and just want to use tv speakers to view normal tv programming.

I think shaw(Motorola) should try to upgrade their 6200 model with a hdmi output

Sonisame
Old 2006-12-27, 02:49 PM   #4
elapsed

I don't see how it would be such a pain, the cable box should come with cheap RCA cables to achieve stereo through your TV. It's not like you'll need to invest $30 in an audio cable when you're playing through two 10-watt speakers in a Television.
Old 2006-12-27, 08:04 PM   #5
Sonisame

Yes, you are correct about RCA cables, but for many brands of digital tv's secondary audio input will not work when HDMI input is being used. And don't forget about audio--video out of sync when digital video and analog audio feed is used..
Old 2006-12-30, 12:50 AM   #6
Pogi

Default Dvi to HDMI

That is what I am trying to resolve now. What you said about the HDTV's audio being "disabled" when you use a DVI to HDMI cable is probably right. I have discussed this w/ shaw tech and they absolutely do have the right answer to give me. I want the sound from the tv and not from a stereo. It's not the tv;s prblem. I guess that's just how it works w/ hdmi. Now, because of this, should Shaw ezchange our recievers to one w/ hdmi output? My tyv has only one set of component input and my sons are using it for their xbox.
Old 2006-12-31, 11:40 AM   #7
snackguy

Most TVs have a stereo audio input to go along with each video input. HDMI is the exception as it carries both audio and video. So if you want sound from the TV it will need stereo input or HDMI.

For example on some TVs they support the following inputs:
- Input 1 = composite video, stereo audio
- Input 2 = s-video, stereo audio
- Input 3 = VGA, stereo audio
- Input 4 = component video, stereo audio
- Input 5 = DVI video, stereo audio
- Input 6 = HDMI

Note: some HDMI devices don't output the audio or are not carrying the stereo audio signal. They may be just a converted DVI internally and/or exclusively using digital audio (optical or coaxial). Like my Samsung DVR-135.
Old 2006-12-31, 12:41 PM   #8
blackdog61

I have a Bev 6100 and a plasma TV, which is hooked up via DVI/HDMI cable. For sound through the TV, I use regular RCA cables. For sound through my receiver I use an optical cable. No worries about any other cables.

This gives me the best of both worlds.