Discovery HD Discussion. - Page 11 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Entertainment > What's On Television?

Closed Thread

Old 2006-01-28, 10:01 AM   #151
jgvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefBob
Many PBS programs are preceded by a black screen ... they will indicate whether the following program is HDTV or Widescreen.
Even though Discovery HD is HDTV 24/7, occasionally on a few programs you will see upconverted SDTV footage when it is necessary for the program to show archival video.
My original comment was predicated on the fact that BEV's program guide for DiscoveryHD does not indicate that any of their programs are HD, since the programs in each time slot are not preceded by HD, which is the case for all other channels when the program is in fact in HD. This is the inconsistency I referred to. It is also the reason why I needed to subscribe to the HDTV Magazine in order to know ahead of time which programs are in fact in HD, instead of learning whether it is in HD or widescreen just as the program begins. It maybe a case of cutting corners by whoever compiles the Guide, but a guide that is inconsistent begins to become less of a guide.
jgvp is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-01-28, 10:45 AM   #152
Danster

Has anybody noticed that the HD logo is more to the left than before? It weems like part of the "Y" in Discovery is chopped off as well as the "D" in HD.
Old 2006-01-29, 08:51 PM   #153
essencedesign

Does anyone know if Discovery HD Canada ( My new favorite channel Will be showing more of the programs that are shown on the American DiscoveryHD Theater, maybe this would help with all the repeats...??

Or is this another instance of the Can. broadcaster calling the shot's and robbing us from the programs we're all paying for
Old 2006-01-30, 10:10 AM   #154
Cyclism

Location: Vancouver - OTA, Pioneer KURO Elite Signature PRO-141FD, 27" iMac, WDTV Live.

Danster:

I did notice that the HD "bug" has been re-positioned a bit more to the bottom right of the screen. I thought my monitor had reset it's vertical and horizontal size and positioning at first, but I double-checked and it hadn't.

Any way you can correct for overscan on your display?
Cyclism is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-12-02, 11:30 PM   #155
james99

So, it's been almost a year. What you think?
james99 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-12-03, 01:12 AM   #156
JesseJ
Veteran

They need more TLC programming. Basically, I wish it was more like the ACTUAL Disc HD channel...better programming, more variation.

I hope National Geographic isn't this bad (Alliance Atlantis, are you listening?)
JesseJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-12-03, 01:36 AM   #157

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Almost every week I find one new programme to watch (there usually are only a few new programmes a week). They also seem to have DD2.0 and DD5.1 working properly now, as I can't remember a glitch in quite a while.

The PQ is also usually very good. On the whole a channel I would miss were it not there.
Old 2006-12-03, 08:55 AM   #158
james99

It certainly is better than the previous HD Channel that we had.

That being said, the US version of this channel has more programs from the other channels that are part of the Discovery family.
james99 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2006-12-03, 11:51 AM   #159
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by james99 View Post
So, it's been almost a year. What you think?
DiscoveryHD has only been available in my area for about 2 months, so for me it's still new... I am really enjoying it. Good content excellent picture quality, Yes they repeat many programs but it dosn'nt bother me.. Heck look at the food network, H&G and the other life style networks. They repeat shows constantly it's nothing new.

I think the only chanel that never repeats it's self is the Weather Network....
Old 2006-12-03, 02:53 PM   #160
lars

It's one of the better hd channels we get in Canada. I would like to see more nature and human geography type programming. The id bug is still about 50% too big.
lars is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.