The Official I Hate The CRTC Thread - Page 5 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2006-10-02, 11:32 PM   #61
noaa2000

The US stations here are
WBZ-CBS Boston WHDH-NBC Boston
As with you there I also have WXYZ and WUHF
PBS comes out of Maine.
Am also thinking of buying an HD TV,but the cost to purchase one has to first come down some more,still too expensive for me yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmanguy View Post
My cable co is Westman Communications Group.. I actually live in a small town of 2500 served by Westman which is 15 minutes from Brandon MB (When your online and live in a small community you say you live in the closest city to you - safety reasons) Anyways I get all the same services as Brandon MB does, so I have never lied about anything in my posts. Anyways I have NEVER experienced simsubs on any of my USA Networks (WCCO CBS Minneapolis, KARE NBC Minneapolis, WXYZ ABC Detroit, WUHF FOX Rochester). My cable co must not care enough to put the effort out to simsub for a community of 2500. Except my cable co gets these stations from Cancom (yes Cancom does carry Minneapolis), yet no simsubs My cable co does get their feed from SC Cancom and my TBS, CNN, and a few other USA specialty channels are intercepted by SC commercials (I have seen every single SC their is!!) So is this the original Cancom feed untampered by my cable co? Except the thing I am worried about now is I am getting a HD TV this Boxing Day Sales (50 inch) and upgrading to HD and I will be getting CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS HD Detroit Feeds and Rogers Sports Net HD. (2.95 / month). I am worried about simsubbing on these channels. They probably are Cancom feeds too. We'll see.

Anyways we'll see if I get HD simsubs, but I have escaped the peril of simsubs on my regular US nets . Although I end up watching Canadian networks anyways. My CBS, and NBC are not in digital (analog) so I only get ABC, FOX, & PBS in digital - Which makes me sometimes switch over to CTV or Global for the sake of digital quality. I have never had problems with CTV ever. I never watch Global TV unless for timeshift reasons - sometimes Global forgets scenes from next ep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-10-02, 11:37 PM   #62
noaa2000

The US stations here are WBZ-CBS Boston WHDH-NBC Boston
As with you there I also have WXYZ and WUHF,PBS comes out of Maine.
Am also thinking of buying an HD TV,but the cost to purchase one has to first come down some more,still too expensive for me yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmanguy View Post
My cable co is Westman Communications Group.. I actually live in a small town of 2500 served by Westman which is 15 minutes from Brandon MB (When your online and live in a small community you say you live in the closest city to you - safety reasons) Anyways I get all the same services as Brandon MB does, so I have never lied about anything in my posts. Anyways I have NEVER experienced simsubs on any of my USA Networks (WCCO CBS Minneapolis, KARE NBC Minneapolis, WXYZ ABC Detroit, WUHF FOX Rochester). My cable co must not care enough to put the effort out to simsub for a community of 2500. Except my cable co gets these stations from Cancom (yes Cancom does carry Minneapolis), yet no simsubs My cable co does get their feed from SC Cancom and my TBS, CNN, and a few other USA specialty channels are intercepted by SC commercials (I have seen every single SC their is!!) So is this the original Cancom feed untampered by my cable co? Except the thing I am worried about now is I am getting a HD TV this Boxing Day Sales (50 inch) and upgrading to HD and I will be getting CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS HD Detroit Feeds and Rogers Sports Net HD. (2.95 / month). I am worried about simsubbing on these channels. They probably are Cancom feeds too. We'll see.

Anyways we'll see if I get HD simsubs, but I have escaped the peril of simsubs on my regular US nets . Although I end up watching Canadian networks anyways. My CBS, and NBC are not in digital (analog) so I only get ABC, FOX, & PBS in digital - Which makes me sometimes switch over to CTV or Global for the sake of digital quality. I have never had problems with CTV ever. I never watch Global TV unless for timeshift reasons - sometimes Global forgets scenes from next ep.
Old 2006-10-03, 01:52 AM   #63
TJK Reflects/Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by azza2005 View Post
http://www.petitiononline.com/15426894/petition.html

To: Canadian Government and CRTC
Have you ever watched an American television program?

If you own a satellite system or have Cable, the answer is of course. Did you know that there are literally hundreds of American and other foreign television channels that are purposely made "unavailable" to you by the Canadian Government and CRTC?

Do you own a small satellite system (DirecTV or Dish Network) or a big C-band dish? Did you know that your government and other parties with a vested interest (Bell Expressvu, Starchoice, Cable Companies) have made it illegal to receive ANY foreign television transmissions that have not been approved or sanctioned by them?

The Supreme Court of Canada ruled in April that federal broadcasting law prohibits Canadians from gaining access to direct-to-home satellite TV signals from providers other than Toronto-based Bell ExpressVu LP — a unit of Bell Canada — and Star Choice Communications Inc. of Calgary.

Under existing Canadian laws, users of so-called grey-market satellite dishes — people who PAY for a U.S.-based satellite service — face up to one year in jail, or a $5,000 fine. Firms found guilty of the same offence face a $25,000 fine. This includes the big C-band dishes (that Canadians have had since the 1970's) as well.

The CRTC and governments have taken it upon themselves to decide what is okay for you to watch and what you can't. The CRTC's so called "white list" contains all the American and International channels that can be distributed in Canada. And all the other channels that aren't on it are forbidden to you as we, as Canadians, are obviously considered too dumb by our government to choose for ourselves what we should watch and so the decision is made for us like we are a bunch of preschoolers.

The channels that are on the "white list" are the ones that are available on cablevision. There are literally hundreds of channels that our governments say are "illegal" to watch and discourage us from disobeying them by slapping our wrists and declaring that Canadians watching "grey market" TV are lawbreakers!

If we have the ability to watch a program on television and we want to watch it in the privacy of our own home, then we should be able to do so! Without any governments or corporations declaring us a lawbreaker!

Silly me I was also under the impression that we lived in a free country, but that also is proving to be a fallacy.

I agree with the fact that Canadian companies have paid big money to acquire the broadcasting rights of some of the American companies, but the last time I checked, viewership was a privilege not a right, and if these Canadian companies want us to watch their programming instead, then they should do so by making it worth watching! And not because we are forced to!

We do not need government minions and functionaries to decide what television my children and family can watch.

This "Big Brother" attitude must be curbed here! Or it will set a precedent for other things! If this continues one day it may be illegal to read anything other than Canadian magazines or books.

Another factor to consider is they seem to be ignoring completely the Supreme law of Canada, The Canadian Constitution!!

Here is a related excerpt:

Section 52: The Constitution is the supreme law of Canada, and any law that is inconsistent with the provisions of the constitution is, to the extent of the inconsistency, of no force or effect.

Section 2

2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a)Freedom of conscience and religion;

(b)Freedom of thought, belief opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other means of communication;

(c)Freedom of peaceful assembly; and

(d)Freedom of association.

Perhaps our government feels that they are not subject to constitutional provisions. You be the judge. Clearly they are trying to discourage International competition, protecting the cable monopolies and hiding it behind "Canadian Culture" excuses.

We have spent the last 40 years telling the Russians it was immoral to block broadcasts but yet our government is doing the exact same thing here in Canada!

As "free" people, Canadians should have the right to choose what we watch in the privacy of our homes. We should not be forced to watch CBC simply because a government agency has decided that CBC is better than USA network and so USA network is purposely made unavailable to you.

After the Supreme Court of Canada ruling in April, 500,000 - 700,000 Canadians were instantly turned into criminal’s because of what they watch on their TV's in the privacy of their own homes.

A country deemed to be the gold standard for multiculturalism makes it a crime for immigrants to watch programming in their own language, unless it's provided by the two government-sanctioned purveyors of satellite TV -- Bell ExpressVu and Star Choice

The Supreme Court's ruling against "grey market" satellite TV operators has put Canada in the fine company of North Korea and Iraq. Yet, while Ottawa is cracking down on foreign satellite signals, even Iran has reformed its Mad Mullah ban on satellite dishes.

Sign this petition to show our Government that this "Big Brother" attitude will NOT be tolerated! Let the people decide what they want to watch WITHOUT government intervention. To be free includes freedom of choice!

Be sure to pass this on to every Canadian you know.

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

I have emailed the link of the petition to the crtc. Good for you for starting this petition.
Old 2006-10-03, 06:13 PM   #64
noaa2000

Your are so right TJK about this not being a free country when it comes to television broadcasting.There is a strong Anti-American bias that has infected this nation for years and the CRTC are the leading cheeleaders.They are hell bound and determined never as long as they have the power,
to allow free access to Americans channels I get to see on my visits there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJK Reflects/Questions View Post
I have emailed the link of the petition to the crtc. Good for you for starting this petition.
Old 2006-10-07, 02:30 AM   #65
TJK Reflects/Questions

Although the fcc not much better. Ever since nipple gate because of the super bowl half time show the fcc has been storm trooping and stomping on free expression and open discussion on radio and what can watch on tv.

Last edited by TJK Reflects/Questions; 2006-10-07 at 02:35 AM.
Old 2006-10-28, 07:44 PM   #66
westmanguy

I am in the USA this weekend and I love it. Part of having a suite at the hotel I am at, is I get full digital cable (not just analog but a receiver to), and boy am I enjoying Comedy Central, E!, HBO, Showtime, etc. From the few hours I have watched these channels I have to say they blow the Canadian networks away (Comedy Network, Star!, Movie Central, TMN, etc.)

If these Canadian version should have to show all the new originals of there US counterpart, and the rest of the space - fill it up with Cancon! But give me all the US originals on the US version!! AND especially in tune with the same date and time!
Old 2006-10-30, 03:21 AM   #67
TJK Reflects/Questions

Lets look at the comedy network. Most of their programming is comedy central series plus cheers, everybody loves raymond, simpson, king of the hill. Very little would meet cancon regulation. Which begs to wonder why bother having such regulation. Of those canadian programs all air on other ctv channels. That cross station scheduling nonsense.

Chum doing same thing as canwest does. I find it really pathetic of the networks to do and the crtc to allow. Along with the regional ads that shaw and rogers insert over top of ads on channels like cnn and tbs. Crtc claims to value open competition but instead demonstrates they prefer to force everyone to only watch canwest, ctv, cbc and chum channels.
Old 2006-10-30, 09:37 AM   #68
foxfan

Well, at least now the CRTC's reign on viewers in the Montreal is coming to its end.

WCAX (CBS) and WFFF (Fox) just went on the air digitally last week and WVNY (ABC) and WPTZ (NBC) are expected to go on any day now.

Take that CRTC!!!
Old 2006-10-30, 04:45 PM   #69
westmanguy

The CRTC is responsible from holding back US Broadcast networks from going digital on cable....?

And TJK, the comedy network just repeats the CTV originals, like Corner Gas, Comedy Inc, and then they pick up some CBC ones like, 22 minutes, Royal Air Farce..

How do they get away taking programming on a different network putting on a specialty channell.....
Old 2006-10-31, 01:44 AM   #70
TJK Reflects/Questions

The comedy network is only one example of the pathetic cross platform scheduling. One series airing on all ctv stations including comedy network. Chum airs the same series on space, city, and a channel. What is the point of having specialty channels when will find the same series airing on 3 channels at 6 different times on each channel daily.

CRTC claims want more local programming and limit foreign networks. However they are allowing more foreign networks to air.

CRTC claims don't interfere with cable companies but they dictate what can air and what cannot.

Last edited by TJK Reflects/Questions; 2006-10-31 at 01:55 AM.
Old 2006-10-31, 10:42 AM   #71
foxfan

[QUOTE=westmanguy;445985]The CRTC is responsible from holding back US Broadcast networks from going digital on cable....?
QUOTE]

No, but by going over-the-air, we can finally get our U.S. networks directly with NO sim-subs. I'm dropping the BEV HD pack.
Old 2006-10-31, 05:04 PM   #72
westmanguy

I honestly hate Canadian specialty channels for that exact reason TJK.

Citytv for example:

Star TV - on Star! - also E! True Hollywood Story world debuts.
SexTV - on SexTV
Battle Star Galictica - also on Space
MuchOnDemand - also on Much Music
E! THS is also multi-platformed as a MuchMusic filler!
etc.

I get all the worthy shows for my watch already on Citytv!

CTV cross platform...

MTV Live - MTV
Daily Show - Comedy Net show on CTV
Colber Repor - Comedy Net show on CTV
Corner Gas (not sure who that show belongs to, Comedy or CTV) is on Comedy Net.

etc.

If they multiplatform these shows I am never going to order those specialty channels... whats the point?
Old 2006-11-01, 01:37 AM   #73
TJK Reflects/Questions

As for corner gas that is a ctv series. A cheap dull copy of northern exposure. I wasn't all that impressed with that one either. Comedy network is part of ctv. Anything on ctv or comedy network will appear on the other.

City, A channel, Much Music, Much More Music, Star all air the same series. City will air battlestar galactica and supernatural because both are popular on Space. Space should be the only one showing both. Space doesn't have enough sci fi and can't afford to spread what have on other chum stations.

Much Music and Much More Music where do I begin. What the heck is the point of 2 channels airing the exact same programming.

As for mtvcan. It is nothing but talktv with a new name. There is nothing mtv about that channel. Also their excuse for not airing music videos is the biggest pile of stinky manure.
Old 2006-11-01, 02:04 PM   #74
westmanguy

They couldn't air music as it would be in "competition" with MuchMusic. And of course we can never have competition in our anti-capitialist TV industry.

Anyways the US version of MTV doesn't air much music (notice the pun) either except for premiers or hit videos. The music airs on MTV2 in the USA.

We need a whole transformation of the MTV, Much Music thing up here. With some VH1 and MTV 2 maybe...
Old 2006-11-04, 07:43 AM   #75
TJK Reflects/Questions

Well that is line of manure spouted by ctv to explain why won't show music vids on mtvca. Don't want to compete with chum - garbage ! I remember when much more music started I figured ok they will play the videos much music not. However soon neither were playing much in terms of videos. Like as you said mtv and mtv2.

All I see on much more music is reality programs. Both take turns airing same talk and documentary programs.

I just learned that life network is changing its name. Will be splice. Never good sign when a network does that. Look at prime now tvtroplis. Also spike used to be tnn. When a network changes its name means they are not doing well.