The Official I Hate The CRTC Thread - Page 4 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2006-09-25, 02:15 PM   #46
foxfan

I disagree with Thruxtonian's statement on "commercial substitution". The fact is that it's not only the commercials that are substituted. If it was just that, I wouldn't mind. When simultaneous substitution is performed, EVERYTHING is modified. Most importantly, the show is presented with a logo of a network that has never been involved with the show's production and the previews for the next week's episode are pre-empted.

Also, it's not true that simultaneous substitution is the only way for small local advertisers to get air time. U.S. broadcast networks have a certain number of minutes per hour set aside for local ads. Local advertisers in Montreal use this to their advantage by buying local spots on cross-border affiliates such as WFFF (Fox) in Burlington, VT.

As for the "broadcast rights" issue, regarding the claim that no one other than the multinationals would be able to buy worldwide rights, why won't broadcasters like CTV and Global do like Fox did by making most of the programming shown on their networks in-house with their own studios. That way, shows don't need to be bought and sold. You make it yourself and you show it yourself! If you can't do that, you're useless and you should be put out of business!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2006-09-25, 02:16 PM   #47
pjreid

Quote:
Originally Posted by noaa2000 View Post
This yearly trip of mine cost me money,
but I refuse to be ruled by those communist dictators at the CRTC anymore during Super Bowl Sunday.
Let me get this straight. You pay money out of your own pocket (and I'm talking on the order of a motel room, not $1 or $2) to WATCH COMMERCIALS?!?!?

The terrorists have won.

EDIT: Besides, you know that if you watch it on the American HD channels, you get the American commercials for free...and most of those in HD too.
Old 2006-09-25, 05:24 PM   #48
westmanguy

I think there should be a rule put in place for the CRTC. If specific American specialty network is not covered sufficiently (all the programs - 90% of the programs) by a Canadian network or Canadian Specialty Channel there should be a motion put forth to have these shows picked up and put on a Canadian Network/Specialty Channel (also: you wouldn't pick up a design show and put it on SexTV the specific genre would have to make sense to the network). Or put out the motion for a new specialty channel. If no one wants to put pick the shows up the American channel is approved and brought into the Cable / Satellite Programming offereings.

Example of my idea:

Oxgen Network (Oprah Harpo Channel) is not sufficiently covered by a Canadian Specialty Network. So there would be a motion put out for possible Canadian buyers. W! Network would fit the genre of Oxgen and if there schedule had room they would be able to pick it up. Or if there is not a current specialty channel available that fits the genre or has no time slots available or doesn't want to pick the shows up than the American feed of the Oxgen Network would be automatically approved.

Unless the CRTC gets there act together and offers Canadian all of the American programming one way or another than people will continue to use grey-market DTV and Dish Network.

---------------------------

Somebody was talking about the sim-subbing how the entire slot of for example desperate housewives on ABC had the local CTV feed put rate over it. I can see how this upsets people. If the local CTV broke down the timeslot with the commercials in-sync with the ABC commercial time-slots they could easily feed the CTV stream during each ABC commercial break. I mean that would make things 100 X easier if CTV during primetime matched there commercial slots exactly to the CBS / ABC / NBC / FOX commercial slots during that show. So they could automatically feed in the commercials.

Honestly though, the only time people actually want to watch commercials are during the big big event where they make 1 time only commercials with celebs during the Super Bowl, and Oscars.

------------------------------

Second thing, would someone experienced in the knowledge of sim-subbing explain what the rules on it are?

My example, I have a cable co (Westman Communications Group) that serves roughly 80 000 people, My local USA Nets (CBS Minneapolis, NBC Minneapolis, ABC Detroit, FOX Rochester) are always the american commercials - I have never experienced simsubbing on any of these networks. My cable co does get there feed of Cancom with could maybe explain this:

TBS, CNN, and few other specialty USA nets are bombarded with SC commercials - I have seen every single SC commercial made Here in Brandon Manitoba we get our CBC from an affiliate (not CBC owned) which is CKX (unique situation actually, its a CBC affiliate that carries the minimum CBC programming which has lots of CityTV programming and is owned by CHUM now owned by Bell Globalmedia) Would the reason I don't see simsubbing in my region is due to only having 1 local TV station that has very little American Shows (sometimes American Funniest HV or Everybody Hates Chris). I do get CTV, Global, CityTV Winnipeg. Anyways I don't understand how this sim-subbing works - I don't get any of it on my US nets like other people complain about.
Old 2006-09-26, 01:23 PM   #49
8kobe

NBA league pass was not approved by the CRTC also. That's sucks! I just don't get it why? People are willing to pay extra to watch them so why can't they approve it? Is this a communist country?
Old 2006-09-29, 03:26 PM   #50
noaa2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjreid View Post
Let me get this straight. You pay money out of your own pocket (and I'm talking on the order of a motel room, not $1 or $2) to WATCH COMMERCIALS?!?!?

The terrorists have won.

EDIT: Besides, you know that if you watch it on the American HD channels, you get the American commercials for free...and most of those in HD too.

I love the USA anyway,including their beer,so I don't mine going,the next trip in Feburary 2007 for the Super Bowl is also to find out about buying
US Satellite TV and become a criminal in the eyes of the communists masters in Ottawa.
Old 2006-09-29, 04:24 PM   #51
noaa2000

Quote:

The terrorists have won.

I should have answered you question directly,do I go to the USA watch the
TV commericals - my answer, YES I SURE DO,but at least for the weekend
I am in a free country where the CRTC cannot get me.
I thought I was the only person in Canada who hates simsubs until I read the pages of complaints.The policy of simsubing should be abolished,but the
reality is that will never happen.The government will never bow to the will of the people - just recall when the GST was implemented over the protests of millions of Canadians taxpayers - The CRTC is hell bound and determined
never to allow access to dozens of American channels I see on my weekend visits to the States.
Yes sadly the terrorists have won here,I cannot fight the government so their simsub policy forces me out of the country every Super Bowl Sunday.
My motel room is already booked for Feburary 4,2007.
If there is some way to help change the simsub law,I will be glad to help.
Old 2006-09-29, 04:30 PM   #52
noaa2000

Quote:

The terrorists have won.

I should have answered you question directly,do I go to the USA watch the
TV commericals - my answer, YES I SURE DO,but at least for the weekend
I am in a free country where the CRTC cannot get me.
I thought I was the only person in Canada who hates simsubs until I read the pages of complaints.The policy of simsubing should be abolished,but the
reality is that will never happen.The government will never bow to the will of the people - just recall when the GST was implemented over the protests of millions of Canadians taxpayers - The CRTC is hell bound and determined
never to allow access to dozens of American channels I see on my weekend visits to the States.The Supreme Court ruling that requires Canadians to purchase satellite TV from only 2 Canadian sources is further proof of the ongoing Anti-American bias that infects this nation.
Yes sadly the terrorists have won here,I cannot fight the government alone
so their simsub policy forces me out of the country every Super Bowl Sunday.
My motel room is already booked for Feburary 4,2007.
If there is some way to help change the simsub law,I will be glad to help.
Old 2006-09-29, 07:27 PM   #53
Nanuuk
Veteran

Right on NOAA2000!
Old 2006-09-29, 08:48 PM   #54
noaa2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanuuk View Post
Right on NOAA2000!
Thanks for your support.I also want to say that I'm an NFL fan & am going to the States to watch the game & those great ads that have become part of the Super Bowl.For too many years I stayed home & was forced by the
CRTC dictators to watch the simsub broadcast of the game on Global TV with same old boring ads that are shown throughout the year.Finally in 2004 I had simply had enough & just said,using that famous quote:

"I'M AS MAD AS HELL AND I'M NOT GOING TO TAKE IT ANYMORE"!!!!!!!!!!

I've been watching the game ever since 2005 in a US motel room free at least for the weekend from the CRTC.Such a wonderful feeling to watch the Super Bowl on a US channel with some good food and cold American beer by my side & absolutely no simsubing down there.Yes this is a drastic expensive measure for me to take,but for one weekend out of the year,I refuse to be forced to bend to the will of Canadian censorship.
Old 2006-10-01, 12:17 AM   #55
westmanguy

A lot of people in canada get the grey-market US satellites for non-canadian-ized TV programs - but I have a side question. There is a small but strong amount of Americans that use Canadian satellite co's. I don' think they allow timeshift in the USA (In Canada 90% of the TV stations are owned by the actual network with the exception of a few) The USA is pretty much 80% affiliates and the major networks own stations in NY or LA. So I think regions are only able to broadcast 1 affiliate of a network. So if my thinking on this is correct Star Choice / BEV basic service would be benificial for Timeshifts in Canadian and your Spokane/Seattle & Detroit/Buffalo/Boston.
Old 2006-10-01, 08:38 PM   #56
noaa2000

October 1,2006
Sunday evening

Once again,ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!! the stupid simsub law screws up tv.I was watching 60 Minutes on CBS.The football games delayed the normal 8pm start time of the show.At 9pm Atlantic Time half way through the show the simsub kicks in & CTV overrides the CBS feed & the Amazing Race is now being shown there.I MISSED THE LAST HALF HOUR OF 60 MINUTES ALL BECAUSE OF THE CRTC AND THEIR GODDAM RULES!!!!!!!!We have to do something to get this censorship outrage to end or were going to eventually lose all the
US stations in Canada if the CRTC communists have their way.
Old 2006-10-01, 11:49 PM   #57
westmanguy

Quote:
October 1,2006
Sunday evening

Once again,ONCE AGAIN!!!!!!!! the stupid simsub law screws up tv.I was watching 60 Minutes on CBS.The football games delayed the normal 8pm start time of the show.At 9pm Atlantic Time half way through the show the simsub kicks in & CTV overrides the CBS feed & the Amazing Race is now being shown there.I MISSED THE LAST HALF HOUR OF 60 MINUTES ALL BECAUSE OF THE CRTC AND THEIR GODDAM RULES!!!!!!!!We have to do something to get this censorship outrage to end or were going to eventually lose all the
US stations in Canada if the CRTC communists have their way.
Wow your angry - as you should be. They should not have done that. If it cuts into a CBS show not offered on another Canadian channel in the region - which 60 minutes is not available anywhere but CBS. If CBS is late due to a sporting event which the canadian network that usually simsubs that timeslots does not carry that sporting event, there should be no simsubbing.

Luckily for me my cable co isn't important enough to simsub my CBS Minneapolis, NBC Mineapolis, ABC Detroit, & FOX Rochester.

Anyways that shouldn't have happened - cutting into a program not offered by another Canadian network. Damn CRTC.
Old 2006-10-02, 06:49 AM   #58
TJK Reflects/Questions

I sent a copy of the open letter that begins To the CRTC and government of Canada to the CRTC.

It is amazing the CRTC will say have deregulated what Shaw and Rogers do. However shaw and rogers will say they follow the regulations of the crtc.

It seems as though both of them have paid off the crtc to look the other way. The crtc will focus on destroying the telecoms.
Old 2006-10-02, 02:27 PM   #59
noaa2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by westmanguy View Post
Wow your angry - as you should be. They should not have done that. If it cuts into a CBS show not offered on another Canadian channel in the region - which 60 minutes is not available anywhere but CBS. If CBS is late due to a sporting event which the canadian network that usually simsubs that timeslots does not carry that sporting event, there should be no simsubbing.

Luckily for me my cable co isn't important enough to simsub my CBS Minneapolis, NBC Mineapolis, ABC Detroit, & FOX Rochester.

Anyways that shouldn't have happened - cutting into a program not offered by another Canadian network. Damn CRTC.
Thanks westmanguy.Rogers Cable in NB needs to have better controls put in place at their offices to prevent another fiasco similar to the mess they made last night.Fortunately the segment on 60 Minutes that I wanted to see was on during the first half of the program,so while the simsub overide made me angry,that was tempered a bit since I did get to watch the complete interview before the 9pm
mess began.
Your cable co doesn't simsub!! I thought the CRTC law ordered all cables companies to do this,that is good news,you are very fortunate.

Last edited by noaa2000; 2006-10-02 at 02:48 PM.
Old 2006-10-02, 05:09 PM   #60
westmanguy

Quote:
Your cable co doesn't simsub!! I thought the CRTC law ordered all cables companies to do this,that is good news,you are very fortunate.
My cable co is Westman Communications Group.. I actually live in a small town of 2500 served by Westman which is 15 minutes from Brandon MB (When your online and live in a small community you say you live in the closest city to you - safety reasons) Anyways I get all the same services as Brandon MB does, so I have never lied about anything in my posts. Anyways I have NEVER experienced simsubs on any of my USA Networks (WCCO CBS Minneapolis, KARE NBC Minneapolis, WXYZ ABC Detroit, WUHF FOX Rochester). My cable co must not care enough to put the effort out to simsub for a community of 2500. Except my cable co gets these stations from Cancom (yes Cancom does carry Minneapolis), yet no simsubs My cable co does get their feed from SC Cancom and my TBS, CNN, and a few other USA specialty channels are intercepted by SC commercials (I have seen every single SC their is!!) So is this the original Cancom feed untampered by my cable co? Except the thing I am worried about now is I am getting a HD TV this Boxing Day Sales (50 inch) and upgrading to HD and I will be getting CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, PBS HD Detroit Feeds and Rogers Sports Net HD. (2.95 / month). I am worried about simsubbing on these channels. They probably are Cancom feeds too. We'll see.

Anyways we'll see if I get HD simsubs, but I have escaped the peril of simsubs on my regular US nets . Although I end up watching Canadian networks anyways. My CBS, and NBC are not in digital (analog) so I only get ABC, FOX, & PBS in digital - Which makes me sometimes switch over to CTV or Global for the sake of digital quality. I have never had problems with CTV ever. I never watch Global TV unless for timeshift reasons - sometimes Global forgets scenes from next ep.