Cogeco Whole Home PVR - Page 8 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Cogeco

Old 2013-08-19, 02:50 PM   #106
madmic23
Rookie

It's still the same guide that's on all Cogeco receivers.

Yes, it looks dated.
madmic23 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2013-08-20, 10:29 AM   #107
HowieDoin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keaters View Post
Well everyone, I did something today that allowed me to get access to a 4 TV solution using the MoCA 1.1 network that is installed with the Whole Home DVR system. I received a RNG200N receiver today from Cogeco (free for 2 years). I went into the Dashboard Diagnostics and enabled the MoCA network on it and disabled the internal hard drive. In 5 minutes, the box could communicate with the NAS Hard drive and can communicate to the Denali receivers. By doing this, the latency with all receivers improve 10-fold. I am so happy I did this!
Having my install for 2 TV's on Friday....Just came across the above post from several months ago. I own a RNG200N and was wondering if this is still an option to change my 2 tv setup to a 3 tv setup? Is it as simple as changing diagnostic screen settings as noted and simply connecting via coax, or does another Ethernet line need to be run as well?

thanks folks!
HowieDoin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-08-21, 12:15 PM   #108
HowieDoin

Anyone??
Old 2013-09-05, 09:46 AM   #109
HowieDoin

I guess I'll answer my own question....it does still work
Old 2013-09-10, 10:12 AM   #110
kramerica

Default Cogeco Whole Home DVR Problems

We have had the Cogeco Whole Home DVR system for over a year. One of the boxes died a couple of days ago. Tech told me on the phone to take the box to (in my case Limeridge Mall) to swap it out for a new one. I did that and was immediately told that they don't take that type of box back at the store. I was told that they have to courier me a new one. I wasted my time and now I am waiting days for a new box to arrive? Can someone explain this to me? What is the issue here?

Last edited by 57; 2013-09-10 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Moved to Existing Thread
kramerica is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-09-10, 07:00 PM   #111
HowieDoin

I think you answered the question yourself.....they wasted your time.....
Old 2013-09-12, 11:13 AM   #112
madmic23
Rookie

I just cancelled my Cogeco services. It was nice to have three months of free service, but Bell has fibre to the home service in my part of town. I signed up with Bell for Fibe TV, internet and phone. The Bell Fibe whole home PVR is light years ahead of the Cogeco whole home DVR, and the internet is a lot faster for the same price. I'm getting 50 Mbps both up and down.
The PVR is amazing. The channel changes instantly. As you go through the guide, it displays a live video stream of channel you have selected in a little box, allowing you to see exactly what is on that channel right now. The video on demand feels like I'm using my Apple TV. Cogeco really needs to update their interface. It just feels so old and dated.
madmic23 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-12-09, 08:59 PM   #113
jamcan

Location: Ancaster, ON / Cogeco Cable & Internet, Slingbox, Samsung 3D SmartTv, Samsung 3d BluRay, Xbox, Wii
Default Whole Home STB resetting every day

Has anyone had this happening to thier STB's? Everyday I come home from work my STB is on channel 1. I'm puzzled?
jamcan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2013-12-10, 03:45 AM   #114
Andicus

Yes, that's happening pretty much daily on my Pace RNG200N.
Andicus is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2014-05-19, 12:25 PM   #115
timespace

Default VOD

With WHDVR can you view; pause; fast forward and rewind a VOD movie from any TV (HDDVR) connected to the NAS or is it just for live and recorded stuff?

Can the NAS be in a closet or somewhere out of the way or does it have to be in direct line of sight for a remote control?

I'm with Bell at the moment; how well is this system working for people?
Is it really buggy or has Cogeco ironed out the issues?
timespace is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2014-05-21, 10:07 AM   #116
pooper

You don't need line of sight for the NAS, but it does need to be close to one of the PVR's.
I'm not sure about the sharing features for VOD between TV's.
I am sure though, that Cogeco's whole home PVR is pretty awful. It is still very buggy, and I'm still a bit shocked that a company the size of Cogeco would release such a glitchy combination of hardware and software to the public.
On the other hand, Bell is far too evil for me to do business with.(They sure do have great software for their Fibe service though)
pooper is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2014-05-21, 07:06 PM   #117
Andicus

How is it buggy? My mother is considering getting it, but if it's going to be a problem for her to use, I'll advise against it.

She generally has no problem with using the Pace 550 PVR, but it has issues as well (reboots by itself, daily, among other things).
Old 2014-05-22, 09:11 AM   #118
pooper

You will constantly get messages that tell you there is a recording conflict when there actually is no conflict. They will pop up while you are watching something and force you to pick one of two options, even though neither is correct. The PVR will occasionally slow to a crawl, lock up and reboot itself. The NAS box sometimes just stops working, and if you are not watching TV right when it happens, you won't see the message telling you so. You will only find out when you notice you have lost a weeks worth of recordings. Sometimes the system will just record black screens for you. That's neat.
Going through the list of recordings is a real pain. It will constantly revert back to the ordering method it likes, instead of what you pick. And it will do this every time you delete something within a folder. So you have to constantly fix it to find what you want. Another annoying thing is you cannot check scheduled recordings for the other PVR's in your system. You have to go to each TV to check!
Those are the main things off the top of my head. But there are lots more random bugs and glitches that only happen occasionally, but add up to be a real pain.
Once my contract is up, I will definitely be ditching the whole home PVR, and probably TV from Cogeco all together.
pooper is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2014-05-22, 05:55 PM   #119
Andicus

Thanks for the detailed report! It sounds like a fair number of those are issues she's also having with her Pace, which is actually an RNG200N, as opposed to the 550 I mentioned above.

Her option is to have two RNG200N boxes, but then it's more expensive than the whole home setup for 2 TVs. Decisions, decisions.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.