Speed rebranding as Fox Sports 1 (in the U.S. Only) - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2013-03-20, 12:03 PM   #31
Dagman2

Hey if racefan2 is right, it can't hurt to fire off a n e-mail.
I just did...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2013-03-20, 12:12 PM   #32
bigoranget
Veteran

No one has answered this question yet; why do people think we will lose Fox Sports 1 when it rebrands? We already have a mainstream sports channel from the US as a result of a rebranding; CBS Sports Network. I fail to see the difference between CBS Sports Network and FOX Sports 1.

I see one of two things happing; we will keep Fox Sports 1 and programming they don't have the Canadian rights to will be replaced or FOX will choose to no longer provide a Canadian feed and instead sell the programming to a third party such as TSN or Sportsnet.
Old 2013-03-20, 12:15 PM   #33
Dagman2

We are worried the broadcasters will go to the CRTC and ask them to pull the licence which is for a motorsports channel.
Old 2013-03-20, 01:05 PM   #34
alebowgm
Veteran

Multiple Reasons.

1. The license that was given for CBS College Sports doesn't drastically differ from what now airs on CBS Sports Network. Speed clearly is for motorsports and this is a huge shift.

2. SPEED is available in a lower - if not basic - tier. On Rogers it was in analog and had prime channel placement. It still does in digital as well. CBS Sports is in specialty packages that costs extra and is hard to find.

3. Fox has more marquee professional sports ventures that will air on Fox Sports 1 - MLB, UFC and Nascar immediately come to mind (and outside of some pre-game/post-game/midweek coverage, NFL is not getting 'flexed' to Fox Sports 1) - versus CBS Sports. This FOX programming often has Canadian rights holders and in fear of FOX negotiating North American coverage deals instead of USA specific deals will want to avoid it coming. CBS still carries a good chunk of NCAA and supplements it with NLL (lacrosse), some US open coverage that isn't usually shown in Canada, NBA D-League (maybe competing with NBA TV Canada) and Arena Football (no coverage). If CBS started picking up major properties that could seriously compete or threaten Canadian coverage, then you would probably start hearing some complaints.

The other two comparable, NBC Sports and ESPN (which is really just ABC Sports) aren't available in Canada. ESPN would put a huge dent into TSN and Sportsnet which is why it isn't here except in the form of TSN, and NBC Sports would draw a few eyeballs on nights when TSN doesn't pick up its coverage, meaning it would no longer go to NHLCI. But again, I don't expect it to happen as neither of the major stations want competition in hockey coverage, there is cross-over talent and more importantly, again, imagine if the NHL eventually gave to NBC exclusive North American rights.

bigoranget, there is also a third option. They can shut down out right. I could be wrong but I don't see the value in Bell or Rogers having a motorsports only related channel. They want general sports channels where they can place any sports programming on and not be restricted. They would be happier just splitting up the pie of motorsports programing. I still think patching in the Australian feed of Speed is an option since that is going to continue to be produced.
Old 2013-03-20, 01:45 PM   #35
mmc-dsm

The australian feed would be great, we would have WRC.
Old 2013-03-20, 02:48 PM   #36
bigoranget
Veteran

I don't think TSN and Sportsnet have much to worry about. Most if not all of the mainstream sports will probably be blacked-out or replaced on the Canadian feed of FOX Sports 1. Canadians will probably only get access to the lesser sports and NCAA coverage.

There has already been a few example of some authorized US channels completely changing their programming and ever since the Country Music Television incident in the mid 90s, the CRTC has not sided with a Canadian broadcaster and I believe the same will be the case for FOX Sports 1.
Old 2013-03-20, 05:07 PM   #37
HarvesterOfEars

I don't understand why Fox would allegedly need our support if they actually were going to continue providing Canada with a Speed TV channel. If the format of the channel is not changed, I assume its continued availability would not be challenged by anyone.
Old 2013-03-20, 05:25 PM   #38
alebowgm
Veteran

If they wanted to launch a Canadian feed for Speed and support it, then sure, but that means they need to acquire programming for it and operate the channel. Sure, some of that will be covered off by what Fox Sports 1 acquires, but they would have to have a budget for all the programming they have no intention of airing on FS1 (or by any other channel in the Fox family).
Old 2013-03-20, 07:36 PM   #39
rjcurrie

If I'm not mistaken, Speed is currently available because it is on the list of US channels that can be carried as is (barring blackouts or substitions because of the Canadian rights being owned by someone else). It is not operating with a Canadian license. I'm not sure they can just create a Canadian feed for Speed when Speed no longer exists as a US channel.

I think there are four options:

1. CRTC removes Speed/Fox Sports 1 from the list of US channels that can be distributed in Canada.

2. CRTC replaces Speed on that list with Fuel TV.

3. Fox creates a Canadian feed of Fox Sports1 that replaces programming which would have to be blacked out with motorsports programming. This would be a very awkward set up.

4. A Canadian media company (Shaw, Rogers Bell,etc.) gets a license for a motorsports channel (Speed Canada or something else). However, since it would be a Canadian channel, it would require a certain amount of Canadian content.
Old 2013-03-20, 08:53 PM   #40
HarvesterOfEars

The list is "non-Canadian" channels, not just U.S. channels.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/satlist.htm

When Speedvision was added in 1997, note:
http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/1997/PB97-96.htm
Quote:
30. ... b) It will consider the removal of existing non-Canadian services from the lists if they undergo a change in format so as to become competitive with a Canadian pay or specialty service.
The one response I've gotten from a BDU, Shaw Direct, when asking them what will happen when Speed changes format, said they didn't know if anything would happen as a result of the "rebranding", a word I did not use, maybe implying they want to ignore the obviously drastic format change and pretend it's merely a name alteration.
Old 2013-03-25, 02:57 PM   #41
oldyellr

There's a petition you can sign:

http://www.change.org/en-CA/petition...-speed-channel
Old 2013-03-25, 04:19 PM   #42
HarvesterOfEars

I truly don't get why anyone in Canada would be trying to say anything to Fox.
Tell your cable/satellite/IPTV provider in Canada to start looking into arranging for another motorsports channel to replace Speed (assuming it disappears on Aug . 17) with Motors TV being the most obvious choice.
www.motorstv.com
Old 2013-03-25, 04:33 PM   #43
jayoldschool
Veteran

Is Motors TV approved by the CRTC?
Old 2013-03-25, 05:06 PM   #44
HarvesterOfEars

No, not yet, but that's why now would be a good time for people to encourage their cable/satellite/IPTV provider to start the process of getting it on to the list of approved non-Canadian channels.
Old 2013-07-03, 06:03 PM   #45
avmechanic
Rookie

Default Speed channel to Fox sports1 :(

I am very disappointed to see the Speed is shutting down to become Fox Sports1 in August. I can't say that Speed is everything I wanted in an Automotive and motorsports channel but so far it is the best that has been available. I am a Nascar fan and like the Nascar stuff but I like all kinds of motorsports and car/motorcycle related shows. I hope that someone comes up something to replace Speed. I am not particularly a stick and ball type sports fan. I really could care less about collage sports and whatnot that Fox sports 1 will now show. About the only thing they are keeping from Speed is just a bit of Nascar which I will probably watch a bit but all the other shows are going. That just sucks. Totally lame. Now I will just have to catch the different shows I like here and there, like the power block on Spike, Overhaulin and whatnot on Discovery as well as Counting cars on History. Too Bad. despite it's imperfections, Speed will be missed. I hope my carrier (Shaw) comes up with a good alternative. I just don't know if there is one.
Greg

Last edited by Dr.Dave; 2013-07-03 at 08:50 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread