Speed rebranding to Fox Sports One - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-10-02, 03:26 PM   #1
magnet

Default MLB on Speed Network? MLB signs 8 year playoff broadcast deal.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle4582643/

Quote:
Major League Baseball agreed with Fox and Turner Sports on eight-year contracts that will run through 2021 and keep the World Series on Fox.
Fox, which broadcasts a Saturday regular-season game each week under its current deal, will double regular-season game rights from 26 to 52 under the new contract. Twelve of those will be exclusively shown on Fox, but the deal gives the network the right to air as many as 40 games on another nationally distributed Fox channel.
Speculation has been that Fox will re-brand its Speed Network into a ESPN-style, all-sports network, and having major league baseball games to show on it would help greatly with distribution to cable and satellite providers.
Advertisement

Old 2012-10-05, 10:21 PM   #2
ticky

Obviously, none of this would apply in Canada. If Speed was turned into a Fox Sports channel, it would basically have to stop broadcasting into Canada, from what I believe.
ticky is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-10-06, 11:44 AM   #3
magnet

I disagree . They could have a Canadian/ world version like CNBC or HDNet.
They already blackout some programming in Canada.
Old 2012-10-10, 04:37 PM   #4
Shootmaster_44

It would be nice if they did rebrand into Fox Sports National channel, if the CRTC would basically leave everything alone. At the very least, if MLB games are exclusively owned by Rogers (and sublet to TSN for ESPN Sunday Night Baseball) black those out, but don't drop the channel entirely. It would be nice to see the NCAA sports that would be shown on that channel, plus I would assume a good portion of the motorsports would still be carried.

I'm thinking they would simply drop the "fix your car" shows my Dad watches every weekend. Those would be where the non-motorsports sports events would go. You'd also likely see some of the coverage of European/Australian motorsports dropped, no more SuperV8 or DTM, I'm assuming only Le Mans would keep their coverage as far as Euro sportscar coverage.

I guess the only major issue would be, if this was permitted, it would open the door up for a cable/satellite provider to use it as an example to get ESPN/ESPN2 etc. But they did allow CBS Sports Network to stay once it rebranded from CBS College Sports Network to simply the CBS Sports Network. Yes, their professional coverage is limited to the United Football League, National Lacrosse League and Professional Bull Riding. But I'm fairly certain CBS SN is looking to acquire bigger properties and it wouldn't surprise me if they went after one of the big 4 properties. In fact, I wonder whether their NFL rights allow them to show a game on CBS SN? With the ESPN rule where any game in a "local" area on ESPN is shown on broadcast TV, CBS could use this to show other games national at the same time a game is on the broadcast network.

At any rate, I am interested to see what follows with Speedchannel. I am still irked about them changing from Speedvision to Speedchannel and becoming largely the NASCAR channel. I miss the F1 boat racing and the plane racing that used to be on when it was Speedchannel and owned by CBS (I think it was).
Shootmaster_44 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-10-10, 09:48 PM   #5
Biggles

I used to watch Speed a LOT! but I'm not a NASCAR fan, so I now only watch F1 Practices , Aussie V8's and the Continental Tire/Rolex GT series.

I miss the BTCC and WRC racing...

(I did watch a WRC event recently on Speed , but they don't broadcast many events..)
Old 2012-10-14, 02:30 PM   #6

Default Speed rebranding to Fox Sports One

SPEED will be rebranded to Fox Sports One, a new all sports channel that will carry Major League Baseball, college football and basketball and other sports in addition to NASCAR programming.

Probably will be the end of it in Canada.

NBC has outbid Speed for F1 rights
987654321 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-10-14, 02:59 PM   #7
Tridus

My boss has Speed for the Supercross coverage, so he's going to be rather unhappy about this. This is one of those channels that actually covered its niche pretty well, and instead of that we get yet another generic channel. Goodie.
Tridus is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-10-14, 03:08 PM   #8

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Here's a list of the programming that concerns me.

MotoGP
SuperBike
F1 Practice
F1 Debrief
F1 reruns (later in the day or week depending, also in the winter) if you miss something "live".
WRC Highlights (which we just got back)
Other Rally coverage

I'll be watching the following website to find where this will air now. The problem is, this is US and may or may not air in Canada.

http://tvracer.com/

There is, of course, lots of other racing that interests others - ALMS, Aussie V8, etc.
Old 2012-10-14, 03:44 PM   #9
Tridus

They already lost the F1 contract in the US to NBC, so I'd expect some of that to disappear for sure.
Old 2012-10-14, 10:44 PM   #10
tf86
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnet View Post
I disagree . They could have a Canadian/ world version like CNBC or HDNet.
They already blackout some programming in Canada.
only live broadcasts of races b/c tsn is the canadian broadcaster for any live races.
tf86 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-10-15, 07:44 AM   #11
MCIBUS
Veteran

Default SEED Not Gone

This doesn't mean Speed willl disappear. Its just a rebranding of a US Channel like others TNN into Spike and spike never disappeared?
MCIBUS is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-10-15, 08:15 AM   #12
Tridus

The content changed though, and the content of this channel is certainly going to change as a result.
Old 2012-10-15, 08:38 AM   #13
joey90210

Has anyone seen a timeline for this change yet.

It will be interesting to see how the new channel takes off. I'm sure there will be some very good unique programming lost.

If available in Canada, hopefully Bell will commit to HD for the new channel.

I am a very strong Nascar fan and a supporter of the current Speed channel, but do limit what I watch due to lack of HD on Bell and have been really disappointed at Bell for the lack of HD.

I am guessing Feb 2013 to coincide with the FOX coverage of the Daytona 500.
joey90210 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-10-15, 10:35 AM   #14
colinpeddle

For anyone interested, I've noticed CBS Sports Network which tends to be mostly ncaa sports, showing truck dirt track racing yesterday, quite a bit of it too.

With the death of speed, the content has to go somewhere.

With that said, our lack of decent WRC coverage is just pitiful and the loss of decent GT series will hurt too.
colinpeddle is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-10-15, 11:06 AM   #15
Lindsay649

Hopefully this will put an end to the unending discussions over Bell TV carrying
Speed TV which will now disappear. As for the programing it will probably end up piece by piece on the various sports channels in Canada......for one the Score needs some audience interesting shows.......lets face it we are running out of mainstream sports and the latest tiddly winks competition appeals to a very limited audience.
Lindsay649 is offline   Quick reply to this message

Tags
fox, mlb, playoffs, tbs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.