New member-cable questions - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Corner

Old 2012-05-11, 03:11 PM   #1
BJ James
Rookie

Default New member-cable questions

Howdy,
What cable splitter do I need?
I want to split the cable where it comes to the house and run to various TV's (6). I was at an electronics shop and saw that there are various values printed on them. Right now we have extended basic from Eastlink, but may upgrade to HD once our basement reno is done. Longest run of RG6 would be about 50' if I home run them all. I may need to split a couple locally though. Same splitters for those?
Thanks,
BJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-11, 03:41 PM   #2

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

With 6 splits, you would probably need an amp. Also, if you have internet, that needs to be the first split upstream of the amp, or purchase an amp compatible with internet (expensive). The amp/splitter needs to be rated 5-1000 MHz at least and "bidirectional". The proper way is to have "home-run" cables all to the demarcation point, not have splitters "out in the rooms".

If you are with Eastlink, they will supply everything properly to make everything work (internet, TV, phone if applicable, etc). All you need to do is call them when you have all your "home runs" complete.

Useful Post for those new to the forum: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2012-05-20, 01:51 PM   #3
BJ James
Rookie

Thanks for the reply.
I'm in the ceiling right now and looking at the existing runs. I'm removing a few unneeded runs of coax cable. The cable is still run to a few other TV locations. The cable is labelled Belden 9301 75 ohm.
Is this the same as RG6?
It would be nice to be able to reuse this cable if possible.
Thanks,
BJ
Old 2012-05-20, 02:14 PM   #4

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

I did a search for "Belden 9301 75 ohm" and didn't find much. Does the cable have anything else written on it? I assume it's an RF-coax cable?

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76085 Cables & Connections
Old 2012-05-20, 02:22 PM   #5
BJ James
Rookie

Ya, same here. Not much info.
All it says on it is Belden 9301 duofoil braid- CATV coax 20AWG 75ohm.

Also, one of the 3 way splitters I've removed says 3.5db on one out and 6.5db on the other 2 outs. I'm going to need a splitter at the demarcation point. I know you said "The amp/splitter needs to be rated 5-1000 MHz at least and "bidirectional". Will the splitter have that printed on the package?
I don't want Eastlink in my house. Anytime I even say "Eastlink" it seems to cost me money.

Last edited by BJ James; 2012-05-20 at 02:49 PM.
Old 2012-05-20, 03:19 PM   #6

Yeah, the splitter should have that written on it. Usually a 3 way splitter will have either 5dB on each leg or one like you mentioned with 3.5/6.5/6.5. The more splits you have, the more dB you'll lose on the legs, potentially causing issues with signal at STBs, necessitating an amp.

20 AWG appears to be RG59, while 18 AWG is RG6. A short run of RG59 is not bad, but if you can, you should replace with RG6 for less signal drop, especially if you still want a huge number of splits.
Old 2012-05-20, 04:54 PM   #7
BJ James
Rookie

I took out all the splits and ran my farthest away TV (about 60' from demarcation) with a straight run of the existing cable. No other coax cables connected. I did have to use couplers in 2 different locations. The picture was clearer than before but still a little fuzzy on the first few channels 3 & 4 especially. Is this a result of the cable or do I need to call Eastlink?

One reason I really hate calling Eastlink is that we are on Basic cable with the extended package. Every couple weeks or so they keep calling to get us to upgrade to "digital cable". It's only about $5 more a month, but I'm really not pleased with their service as it is. Channels occassionally freeze for hours on end. They tell me this won't happen with digital, but I know 2 families that switched and they say the channels still freeze. Also, my wifes workplace uses Eastlink and about once a month the internet service goes down and they can't use their debit card machine. Major hassle.
I have a feeling they will phase out our basic cable package before long. We will have to shop around for a new provider. Luckily we don't use them at home for internet or phone.
Old 2012-05-20, 05:43 PM   #8

With analogue cable the picture gets worse as the signal decreases. With digital cable it's typically "all or nothing". Either you get a perfect picture, or you get no picture or massive breakup. The service provider is responsible for a proper picture, so they would put in the appropriate amp/splitter for your needs.

I don't understand why the internet would be down so much. Most providers have a much better on-line time than that - often going for years between outages.

Are your TVs all SD or are some HD? There is a huge difference in picture quality and if you've got HDTVs, you should get HD service.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:12 PM   #9
BJ James
Rookie

Right now only one TV is HD. In the future it may be one more. I will maybe try Eastlinks live chat and and see what they can do for me- or they may piss me off even more.
Thanks,
BJ