Feature vs Smart phone battery life - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Internet, Landline and Wireless Phone

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-05-07, 09:48 PM   #1
okmrbh

Default Feature vs Smart phone battery life

Hello, I have a question about cell phones battery life. Right now I use an old LG Banter cell phone and I can get almost two weeks between charges. In that time I probably only use it for a couple of phone calls lasting a few minutes and maybe one or two texts. If I were to switch to say a blackberry phone under the same conditions would I get the same battery life? I don't think I would but am unsure

Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-07, 11:09 PM   #2
Dr.Dave

It shouldn't be a problem. Here are the specs for the LG Banter:

Talk time: 5.00 hours Stand-by time:12.0 days

Blackberries are similar - usually a little longer, depending on the model.
Old 2012-05-07, 11:22 PM   #3
BGY11
Veteran

You are certainly not going to come close to the "12 days of standby" on a BlackBerry. With light use, you may be able to stretch that out to 2 days, but I don't think you'd get a lot more than that (especially if you were syncing e-mail and such to the device constantly).
Old 2012-05-08, 12:32 AM   #4
Dr.Dave

I was just going by the "official specs" since I don't own a BlackBerry. I took the post at face value - "couple of phone calls lasting a few minutes and maybe one or two texts".

Setting up email would use the battery quicker, but I've heard that BB's push email is supposed to pretty efficient for battery usage.
Old 2012-05-08, 02:12 AM   #5
TorontoColin

If you're using any of the smartphone features, it wont last more than a couple of days at best. If you're only using it for a little bit of talk and text, why buy a Blackberry?
Old 2012-05-08, 05:21 AM   #6
okmrbh

Thanks for the answers. I guess the "smart" phones have more going on in the background that uses battery power. I thought though, as Dr Dave said if used in the same manner I'd get similar results. As far as "why a Blackberry" if only using it for talk & text. I'm just running a few scenarios through my mind as my current phone was my daughters hand me down and is getting pretty scratched up. I also like the look & pocketable size and read that they get the best battery life of most of the up to date phones.
Old 2012-05-08, 11:05 AM   #7
grog

The two main things that will drain your battery are screen and network. If you use the phone very little and check it infrequently then the screen use should be minimal. As for network, it's best to disable things you're not using like WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. You might even want to consider turning off data when you're not using it if you don't care about receiving emails instantly.

If you do those things you should get at least a week out of a charge on a BlackBerry.
Old 2012-05-08, 11:18 AM   #8
cambo

Smart phones aren't really phones at all anymore. They're more like pocket-sized computers that can also make phone calls.

Typically, most smart phone's can't go more than a day or two without charging. That's just the name of the game. More often than not, it's the screens that use up the vast majority of battery life. Your usage patterns also greatly affect battery life.

If all you need is talk and text, a smart phone (blackberry/android/iphone) probably won't be necessary.
Old 2012-05-08, 11:48 AM   #9
TorontoColin

You can still find a number of QWERTY featurephones that are far more reasonably priced than a Blackberry and will generally offer better battery life. Look at the discount carriers (Virgin, Fido, Koodo) in particular.
Old 2012-05-08, 05:24 PM   #10
recneps77
Veteran

Low end smartphones will need less power and (if the battery is sized right) last longer than what they're now dubbing 'superphones' (high end smartphones)

If you're looking for processing power when you want it, but power sipping when idle, look for an android device and one that has lots of community support.
You can root it and remove everything you'll never use, disable any and all background processes that aren't necessary, etc.
If you got a nexus device you can disable pretty much everything without needing root, as there's no bloatware installed.

If I turn off mobile data, sync services, and all background programs, my nexus one would probably last a week if I never made calls/texts. The mobile data and screen are the two biggest draws for me. Cell connection is only a factor in low signal areas, when the device pumps up the power to stay connected. If you have 4+ bars it shouldn't take much power.
Old 2012-05-08, 06:45 PM   #11
cooper83
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoColin View Post
You can still find a number of QWERTY featurephones that are far more reasonably priced than a Blackberry and will generally offer better battery life. Look at the discount carriers (Virgin, Fido, Koodo) in particular.
My name is cooper83 and I approve this post.
Old 2012-05-08, 07:20 PM   #12
okmrbh

Thanks to everyone for answering my question, and for all the suggestions too!