Could the htpc use the OTA card of my hdtv? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) and Media Extenders

Old 2012-05-06, 11:24 PM   #1
jungario
Rookie

Default Could the htpc use the OTA card of my hdtv?

Good day,

This could be an unrealistic question or...not.
While reading how to set up Windows media center I saw in the tutorial that the wmc could show the guide on the ota channels provided it detects the capture card, in my case, the tuner is the clearqam tuner of my hdtv which is connected to my AV receiver in turn connected to my htpc/pc.
The question is would I need a separate card that I will install on my htpc to be somehow able to use wmc for the tv guide or could I somehow use the hhdtv card itself ? I am not being able to have any sort of tv guide using my tv alone connected to a balun-can.

Best,

Michael
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-07, 12:49 PM   #2
pnear

The short answer is no, you'll need to get some sort of tuner card for your PC in order to use the guide, watch Live TV, and Record TV. Be sure to get a card that supports ATSC and QAM if that's what you're looking to replicated (not all of them do).
Old 2012-05-07, 09:07 PM   #3
Wayne
Veteran

You don't actually need an internal card since lots of ATSC tuners for PCs are actually USB devices and look like slightly larger USB memory sticks
Old 2012-05-08, 09:11 AM   #4
OTAJuncqui

If you have an open PCIe slot in your PC then using an internal tuner is better than a USB.
And if you do not have a PVR then for about $130 you can get a dual turner with remote (WinTV-HVR-2250 MC) and your PC becomes your PVR capable of recording two shows at the same time while you are watching another show live on the HDTV.
You can then toggle from from your HDTV to the PC to view the guide or play recorded TV or other audio/video media on the PC.
But chances are you'll be watching on the PC because you'd select the show from the guide with one click and only watch on the HDTV when both tuners in the PC are busy recording.
As an hour of recorded HDTV can create a 4 to 7GB file you may consider a second large hard drive (1.5-2TB~$120) if you entend on keeping a recording library.
Of course you will also be able to watch live and recorded shows on other PCs on your network (including Wifi if you have an N router) and NextPVR will go beyond that and give you access to your liveTV and recordings from any PC anywhere with web access or your smartphone.
Old 2012-05-08, 09:16 AM   #5
Wayne
Veteran

The other option for an OTA tuner is the HD HomeRun which is a network device so it just plugs into your LAN. This means it can be shared across different PCs and it might make more sense to put it farther away from your TV - like in your attic beside your antenna, assuming that your antenna is in your attic.
Old 2012-05-08, 10:30 AM   #6
OTAJuncqui

I wouldn't put a HD Homerun in my attic.
Thar be no power!
And if there was I'd have to run CAT5 down the outside of the house.
And even if I did that most attics are not very nice places for electronics(powered up or not). They're pretty cool in winter and I can't last 5 minutes in mine in July(even at night).
If you've got a preamp (they're designed for exterior use) it be better to grab the signal inside the living area.
The OP already has coax to the HDTV and if he has an open slot he can have one box(the PC)with an internal card instead of two boxes (the PC and the HDHome).
Old 2012-05-08, 11:42 PM   #7
jungario
Rookie

Thank you for taking the time and effort replying , that gave me a lot of valuable input and options, I am not really interested in recording shows, I have a usenet subscription for that,( long live couch potato and sick beard) it would be nice to have of guide associated with ota channels hence my hunt for either a pci e or usb tv tuner card.

cheers.

Last edited by Jase88; 2012-05-09 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Removed retail link.
Old 2012-05-09, 09:03 AM   #8
classicsat
Veteran

Recording shows from antenna, uses no Internet bandwidth itself, and is more legal than downloading from Usenet, at least to just watch later.

You can install an HD Homerun in a room in the floor below the attic. Get network there with WiFi or a Power Line extender.