Why is my usage so high? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Internet, Landline and Wireless Phone

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-05-07, 01:41 PM   #1
trishcollins

Default Why is my usage so high?

I currently have a Bell Turbo Hub installed, and my usage is ~4GB per month, which is fine for me (I have a laptop, a wifi enabled TV I only use for firmward upgrades, a Blackberry w/ wifi, an Internet radio, and occasionally bring my work laptop home -- boyfriend and kids visit on w/es with wifi enabled handhelds and their laptops). I am quite happy with the usage, given the throughput isn't that great, I don't expect to have signiciantly high bill at the end of each month. I am now on my 3rd month of usage, and have come in at $55 for the 5GB cap.

My poor neighbour, who like me, was forced to move off WiMax, is not having the same luck. Between his wife and daughter they have 3 laptops and two desktops, although his daughter has been off at University until last week. His first bill came in at over $300. I haven't seen the bill, so I am not sure of the exact usage, but he says a lot of the usage is at 4AM. We are rural, so there is no one (not even me, and I am his closest next door neighbour) can see his signal, and I had set it up for him, so I know that security has been applied, so unless you have the key, you can't connect. He says they turn the computers off at night, but they are the type that might think turning off the monitor is the same as turning off the computer.

So, I am going over there tonight to have a look to see if one of his laptops/desktops is doing huge upgrades or running some special app in the middle of the night whcih requires a lot of downloading. I need to know where to look, and my PC/Windows diagnostics skills are a bit rusty. Any suggestions on where to look? Also, apart from the usage meter, is there a app to track what apps are doing what and when? Can I get historial performance info on what applications are using the network? Any suggestions would help.

In the meantime, I told him to just turn off the Netgear router when he goes to bed, and turn it back on in the morning.

Thanks in advance...Trish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-07, 02:52 PM   #2
ScaryBob
Veteran

Windows updates are scheduled, by default, to install at 3AM. That should not typically amount to more than 1GB per month. If a large update is failing every time, that could be the problem. If so, the failed updates should show up in the Windows update log. (Click on Windows Update and select "View update history.") You might want to change Windows Update settings to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download or install them."
Old 2012-05-07, 03:00 PM   #3

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Suggestions:

1. Turn off any computers at night or when not in use for more than X hours.

2. Do not allow auto-updates. Always check the updates yourself when they are available to see what they are, whether you need them and then approve appropriately.
Old 2012-05-07, 03:53 PM   #4
trishcollins

Thanks guys. Will have a look at the Windows updates. Never thought about that, but they have had problems in the past with things not updating properly. Guess we will find out.

Trish
Old 2012-05-08, 10:17 AM   #5
JimBrown

Another possibility, (if they are mistakenly only turning off the monitors, as you suggested above, and the computer(s) continue to run) is malware, using the computer(s) as zombies in a botnet, that is being activated for whatever purposes at those times. It happened to me and burned through 2gb of usage over one night before I noticed the problem.

Be sure to do a thorough malware scan on the computers. I recommend downloading and burning to CD on your computer before your visit, the Microsoft Safety Scanner, available here: http://www.microsoft.com/security/sc...b/default.aspx

Regards,
...jim
Old 2012-05-16, 04:20 AM   #6
HDTV101
Veteran

Your computer could be hacked and someones remotely using your computers connection as a proxy to download illegal movies and games... this covers their tracks and you could end up responsible for their actions.

Tags
bell, caps, hub, turbo