Setting up two different DNS to watch Canadian and US content on ATV2 and TiVo - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Internet Television: Streaming Services including Netflix and Apple TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-05-07, 12:26 PM   #1
The Black Cat
Rookie

Default Setting up two different DNS to watch Canadian and US content on ATV2 and TiVo

Before diving in I'll give some details... I'm currently subscribed with Unblock Us and have it setup on my jailbroken ATV2 to watch US Netflix (with my canadian account) and regular Hulu inside XBMC. I haven't changed any settings on my router, the WRT54G2. Also, I recently got a TiVo Premiere for my OTA HD channels.

I'm thinking of switching to Hulu Plus (I've got the work around for the US credit card) and revert my ATV2 to stock and run Netflix Canada on it while keeping my TiVo strictly for my american content.

So with this I have a few problems...

First of all, I'd like to setup some kind of dual DNS network (not sure about the technical term), where one would be unmodified for Canada and the other has Unblock Us...preferably off one router. I know my router, the WRT54G2, is old and can't really run 3rd party firmware so I'm looking for a new one that can run Tomato or DD-WRT. The reason being is that apparently Unblock Us says the TiVo won't work with DNS reroute.

Quote:
TiVo does not use DNS to connect to their servers and the only way to get around their location check is to establish TCP redirect on the router.

Following command can be added to "Firewall Script" in DD-WRT and Tomato routers:

iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -p tcp -d 204.176.49.116 --dport 80 -j DNAT --to 173.208.155.155:155

Don't forget to restart router after saving configuration changes.
So I guess my question would be which router to get and how to go about setting it up. I've tried to Google it and search various forums, though I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. I admit I'm not the most technologically savvy person around when it comes to networks, but if someone could help me by pointing me the right direction that'd be great.

I'm almost ready to cut my 100$ cable bill...just gotta finalize this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-08, 11:45 PM   #2
crhiles

If you want to go with Tomato firmware people have been using the Asus RT-N16 and Linksys e3000. You may want to keep your old WRT54G2 as a wireless access point as well but I think it may work with Tomato still. Regarding Tomato firmware, you might be able to do a separate DNS on different VLAN's. http://tomatousb.org/tut:two-isolate...te-lan-subnets example of how to set up the VLAN's. It looks like they let you use seperate DNS and it is much easier to set up on the newer versions of Tomato. Canada network could be on 192.168.1.1 and the US network could be on 192.168.2.1. You would then define which DNS service to use for each VLAN. linksysinfo.org has some great info for Tomato.
Old 2012-05-09, 09:27 AM   #3
timberland29

I know this not really a good solution but I just switch back and forth dns and change them manually on my apple tv. Or sometimes I have my apple tv set to one dns and my blu ray player to another.