FTP Server with DDNS - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Computing

Old 2012-05-06, 09:34 AM   #1
willise

Default FTP Server with DDNS

I have a Filezilla Server running on my home server. I can access it from inside my home with no problems. However, I am having issues connecting from an external computer.

My setup is like this: ALIANT Router -> DD-WRT Router -> Server

This is where I believe the problem lies.

I have a DDNS of myServer.no-ip.com, for example. I have configured my FTP client to connect to the DDNS and it does try, but then it will not connect. I try to access the server from a webpage by trying ftp://myServer.no-ip.com and the authorization box pops up. I enter the username and password and then it repeats.

I have a feeling it has to do with the two router setup. The aliant router supplies the DDWRT router with an address of 192.168.2.21 and then the DDWRT router gives the server an address of 192.168.1.28.

I have forwarded the ports in the Aliant router to the DDRWT, then forwarded the ports from the DDRWT to the server IP.

Any ideas how I can get this to work?

Thanks!
willise is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-06, 09:50 AM   #2
habskilla

I think you're on FibreOp, if so, you can't use your external IP within your lan. If you have a cell phone try that.
habskilla is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-06, 09:55 AM   #3
willise

Well that could make a lot of sense! I am on FibreOp and had a hard time setting up a game server for my son and his friend.

So on my phone I turn off wifi and connect to the server via 3G. The same command doesn't seem to work though. I tried ftp://myServer.no-ip.com and I get a message saying "No Permission" I seem to remember there was a way to put in the username and password into the address.. do you remember the format?
Old 2012-05-06, 09:55 AM   #4
classicsat
Veteran

Ether set the Aliant modem to gateway mode (becomes a modem really),or the DD-WRT as an access point, and DDNS on the Aliant router.

Bottom line, you need DDNS on the router which gets the public IP, and has a connection to your server.
classicsat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-06, 10:07 AM   #5
willise

The Aliant router has been set up for DDNS - I can type in myServer.no-ip.com and I will see the Aliant router admin page.

The DDRWT is set up in Gateway mode. I can't see the option for access point (although I do remember doing it in other setups).

The fliezilla server listens on port 14147 by default. I have forwarded that port from the Aliant, to the DD-WRT to the server. I have turned off the firewall in the server just to be sure.

But it still will not connect.

Thanks for the help guys!!!
Old 2012-05-06, 08:24 PM   #6
habskilla

Here is the format
Also, having both routers handing out IPs is just a PIA.

Fyi,
Replacing the Actiontec with the RT-N56U eliminates these issues.
Old 2012-05-07, 02:26 AM   #7
Francois Caron
Veteran

Did you remember to tell the FTP server to allow administrative connections coming from the outside world? I believe Filezilla Server only allows administrative connections from local IP addresses, and blocks everything else out by default.
Francois Caron is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-07, 07:45 AM   #8
willise

Quote:
Originally Posted by habskilla View Post
Here is the format
Also, having both routers handing out IPs is just a PIA.

Fyi,
Replacing the Actiontec with the RT-N56U eliminates these issues.
The N56U is the one running Pfsense, right? Maybe I will try that.

THanks!
Old 2012-05-07, 11:10 AM   #9
cambo

The problem, it seems, is you've got 2 routers handing out IP's for 2 different subnets. (192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x). Disable the DHCP service on your DD-WRT.

Also, set a static IP on your FTP server in the same range as the rest of your network.

Make sure too, that your ISP is not blocking the FTP port, 21. FTP is frequently blocked on residential ISP service. You can, of course, change the port but it's a whole other project.
cambo is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-07, 12:22 PM   #10
habskilla

No, the N56U is running custom firmware by file.

Check out the thread http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=148062

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.