Jury duty - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > News, Weather, and Sports

Old 2012-05-07, 04:27 AM   #1
Biggles

Default Jury duty

I've been called up for jury duty in a month's time.This is my first time.I'm keen to do my civic duty,but I've read there can be lots of sitting around before possibly being picked as a Juror.Anyone had any experiences to share ? I'm taking my phone and maybe book to pass the time. At the very least I can get out of working a few night shifts!
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-07, 07:12 AM   #2
notsure
Veteran

A couple of year's ago I was picked for jury duty on a case that would last a month or so. The morning in question, they were picking jury's for 2 different cases that would have what I would consider longer trials. The picking process itself actually didn't take too long and seemed to be mostly random.

I didn't like the fact that my name was read out in open court so the 2 accused in my case "knew" who I was. The defence lawyers and crown lawyers both agreed to keep me and that was that. Once the jury pool as full (12 of us) we were ushered to a backroom and told to get our affairs in order for at least one month.

Other than having to do jury duty during the day and work some evenings things went fairly well.
Old 2012-05-08, 09:08 PM   #3
Kevin007

Not guilty
Old 2012-05-09, 01:50 PM   #4
mr weather
Veteran

I got called a couple of years ago but was able to get it deferred due to work obligations (it was to be a 10 week trial).

Quote:
Originally Posted by notsure View Post
I didn't like the fact that my name was read out in open court so the 2 accused in my case "knew" who I was.
That makes no sense. Isn't it only the Crown and defence lawyer (and the judge and required court staff) who would be there to hear the selections?
Old 2012-05-09, 03:27 PM   #5
notsure
Veteran

Nope, both defendants were there (guarded and behind glass but still there) with their lawyers. There were at least 2 lawyers for the crown, the court clerk, some court officers for traffic control and the judge was sitting on the bench. Also, the potential jury pool mostly filled the spectator area.
Old 2012-05-11, 09:02 AM   #6
ScaryBob
Veteran

The time I was up for selection, we were literally paraded in front of the defendant and our names read at least twice. I wasn't selected but I can understand the concerns. I guess privacy laws only protect the guilty, not innocent bystanders.

As far as selection goes, it can take one or two days, depending on the type of trial. There is lots of wasted time so take a long book.
Old 2012-06-14, 12:56 AM   #7
Biggles

I went to Jury selection last week. There were three trials; Second degree murder (2 week trial) , and two sexual assault trials (both 1 week trials).

The court only used your numbers on your letter , unless nobody answered.Then they used your name. The whole event lasted about 3 hours.

There were over 300 potential jurors present.I took a book , but there so many numbers being called, I couldn't read. I was quite amazed how many people were excused and "challenged" by the lawyers.

Picking jurors for the last trial took the longest. One of the lawyers was challenging almost everyone.they went through 36 people just to pick the last alternate juror! At the end there was an audible sigh ,and some people clapped !

My number was called , but I was challenged.At least I got to stretch my legs.