Bell Sat vs Fibe? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-05-06, 11:19 AM   #1
droogy
Rookie

Default Bell Sat vs Fibe?

current bell sat subscriber here, I hope I'm not disturbing this discussion but comparing similar packages which tv service is more cost effective, sat or fibetv?
droogy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-09-04, 02:45 PM   #2
Alleyes
Rookie

Default Fibe Tv

Fibe tv just became available in my city, I now have Express Vue,can anyone tell me the difference between the two,I assume I will not lose the signal in severe weather,is this worth switching systems for?
Thanks
Alleyes is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-09-04, 04:22 PM   #3
numba1killa

Default The Choice is Yours

@Alleyes Bell TV and Bell Fibe are very different systems. Bell Fibe and Bell TV both have different channel line ups and different packages together, I don't have Fibe in my area, but I am told the picture quality is really pristine on Fibe. Yes, on Bell TV we do have to deal with the rain, but since Bell put up a new satellite the signal is much stronger now.

The choice is yours. Take a look on Bell.ca to check out there different packages and rates. And see which one works best for you.

Get back to us when you figure out what you'd like.
numba1killa is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-09-04, 09:46 PM   #4
BKman74

first of all, it depends on where you live. if you live in a rural area, then bell tv is available. if you live in a urban area, then bell tv and possibly bell fibe is available. I have telus where i live, and optik tv is pretty good. just take into account if you have bell tv, rain/snow would ruin the signal on the tv cause of the satellite dish. however, if the internet went out, then the fibe tv signal would go out. Make a wise decision.
BKman74 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-09-11, 04:10 PM   #5
madhi19

My uncle got Fiber recently can't say about the packaging but damn can you switch channel fast compared to Digital Sat and Cable.
madhi19 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-28, 05:17 PM   #6
bugnotme
Rookie

Default Picture quality compared to Expressvu?

How does Fibe TV SD and HD picture quality compare to ExpressVu?

What bitrates and codecs are used in each service?

This seems like basic information but I was unable to find it using a Google search.

Thanks for any help.
bugnotme is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-28, 05:28 PM   #7

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

The picture quality should be very similar since both Bell Fibe and Bell Sat (hasn't been called ExpressVu in many years) send all the channels to the STB as 720P signals.

HDTV Formats FAQ: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76129

The bitrates are not comparable because they use different compression, so although IPTV may be 4-5 and Sat may be 10 mbps, the comparison is meaningless. In my optimization travels I see very little, if any, picture quality difference between these two providers and I would look at the feature set or channel availability or cost for comparisons

Useful post for those new to the forum: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2015-01-28, 08:02 PM   #8
Wetware

Quote:
which tv service is more cost effective, sat or fibetv?
Depends on what you want. With Fibe TV you have to take internet (or at least you used to) and they pretty much force you into getting telephone too by only giving you the hardware when you get a bundle.
Wetware is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-28, 08:29 PM   #9
bev fan

If you want only one service from bell like TV then satellite service is less expensive.
Bell fibe offers good deals only with three service.
When it comes to picture quality then satellite seems slightly better but bell fibe offers more HD channels. I compared picture quality when I had both services a few weeks.
Whole home PVR, wireless receivers and on demand feature is what makes Bell fibe way better service in my opinion.

Last edited by bev fan; Yesterday at 07:46 AM.
bev fan is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2015-01-28, 10:11 PM   #10
Crozier56

I will give you the idea of having one pvr that anyone with a wireless receiver in the house can access the recordings on demand is a great feature.
In my case I cannot see myself switching since I own four 6131 receivers active with pvr's so the overall recording capacity is much greater than a single unit.
Maybe down the road Bell will increase their storage capacity. when that happens Bell can try to get me to switch with a special offer.

Last edited by 57; Yesterday at 12:30 AM. Reason: Unnecessary Quote Removed.
Crozier56 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 08:09 AM   #11
ticky

Given the choice, I'm not sure why anyone would get satellite given its vulnerabilities to weather.
ticky is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 09:33 AM   #12
rob1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticky View Post
Given the choice, I'm not sure why anyone would get satellite given its vulnerabilities to weather.
"Given the choice" is the main reason for sure !

I understand FIBE is still being rolled out and coverage is very limited. Everyone else has NO choice.
rob1 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 10:14 AM   #13
Blackloz

Ive actually had no weather issues for years with sat.
Blackloz is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 03:44 PM   #14
Crozier56

Satellite down time due to weather is overstated, Bell has improved in this area. I have no complants with their service.
Crozier56 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM   #15

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Bell Sat didn't go down as much in 2013, 2014 (3 Times), however, they were down several times in previous years as discussed in the following thread and the links in post 1.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=158777

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.