Procedures for Buying and Selling of BTV Receivers - See Post 1 - Page 35 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Bell Canada Enterprises (BCE) > Bell Satellite TV

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-04-28, 11:20 AM   #511

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Quote:
She said she didn't want them
Quote:
we have tried unsuccessfully to contact the owner but cannot reach him.
Which is it - him or her? If a divorce or separation this could be messy. Perhaps BTV can contact the owner if you can't?

Pinza is correct in that without the previous owner saying that the unit is "sold" it could be stolen, although unlikely if the timing of the end of the subscription coincides with the timing of the STB "transfer". Perhaps you can try harder to contact the previous owner? Some people stop their Bell subscriptions, but hold onto the STBs in case they go back, so it's not automatic that BTV transfers the activation (in case of stolen goods as mentioned before)
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-28, 02:00 PM   #512
mrhud

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
Which is it - him or her? If a divorce or separation this could be messy. Perhaps BTV can contact the owner if you can't?

Pinza is correct in that without the previous owner saying that the unit is "sold" it could be stolen, although unlikely if the timing of the end of the subscription coincides with the timing of the STB "transfer". Perhaps you can try harder to contact the previous owner? Some people stop their Bell subscriptions, but hold onto the STBs in case they go back, so it's not automatic that BTV transfers the activation (in case of stolen goods as mentioned before)
"She" would be my sister who purchased the house.
"He" would be the previous owner of the house.

I am confident that there would be a direct correlation between the previous owner cancelling his account and my call to Bell to activate the 6131.

I'll call Bell again and see what can be done. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 2012-04-28, 02:01 PM   #513
Pinza
Veteran

Cancelling an account is one thing, telling Bell that the receivers are sold and therefore free for activation, is another.....
Old 2012-04-28, 02:51 PM   #514
mrhud

Well, that was easy.

I called into Bell and spoke to the first rep who answered. I explained the situation he put me on hold for about 3 minutes, and that was that. He said he overrode the system and transferred the 6131 to my account.
Old 2012-04-28, 03:08 PM   #515
Pinza
Veteran

Then he broke every rule in the book.

Good for you.

Bad for him, if they ever audit that phone call, unless during the 3 minutes, he actually got hold of the old customer and just gave you that story to impress you....lol.
Old 2012-04-29, 08:33 PM   #516
dirtroad

The fact that service address was remaining the same may have given the CSR the motivation to go alittle further, after all Bell does tell those that are moving to leave the dish behind in hopes that the new owner will transfer over to Bell.

My concern as the person getting the receivers,... would be if there was an outstanding balance on them. So all normal procedures should be taken to protect all, but I am glad to see it has worked out.
Old 2012-05-06, 01:27 AM   #517
thefridge
Rookie

Default Can I sell a Bell PVR Recorder?

Today I got a Bell 9241 PVR in a storage auction. Will this work if I sell it to a Bell customer, or could it be locked or have some other type of catch that doesn't allow it to be used? Thanks.

Last edited by 57; 2012-05-06 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Moved to existing sticky.
Old 2012-05-06, 03:31 AM   #518
AFF

Call bell and give them the RID off the back and Smart card number. Ask if it is free and clear and can be added to an account.
Old 2012-05-06, 09:09 AM   #519
Pinza
Veteran

That would be the R00 # from the rear.

90% of the 9241's I see are Rental Units and are therefore NOT free for resale, they belong to Bell.

The only useable part if that is the case would be the Hard Drive/
Old 2012-05-06, 04:44 PM   #520
Blackloz

And maybe the remote
Old 2012-05-06, 04:46 PM   #521
Pinza
Veteran

He never mentioned a Remote but as you say if he did, then that can be used if it functions.
Old 2012-05-06, 11:08 PM   #522
thefridge
Rookie

Thanks for the help. I called and I can't use it Too bad, it would've been a nice profit for me. I was thinking I could sell it for parts. But you're saying only the hard drive is useful? In that case I'll try selling the hard drive on ebay. That might be a good thing anyway because the unit reeks of cigarette smoke and other odors. And yes, I have the remote so I'll try selling that too.
Old 2012-05-07, 07:03 AM   #523
Pinza
Veteran

The Hard Drive is good for the 9241 & 9242 models.
Old 2012-05-16, 05:35 PM   #524
Alan13446
Rookie

Default Story of two used 6100's I got...

Was at a thrift store on the weekend and found a couple of Bell 6100's, with cards inside. Each was $2, figured got nothing to lose, could use them when I move away from here into a non-cable area for HD.
So I bought them and hooked it up to the dish pointing at 91 left by the previous owner.
First one lit up, only got a barker channel....figured as much.
Second one...well.....getting about 100 channels on them.
Disconnected and put it away.
For now.

I remember the old trick we used to do 10 - 15 years ago. Sub for a couple months, then disconnect from the LNB, then call to cancel. The kill signal would get sent, but since the unit was disconnected, the Smart Card would not get hit, and after another couple of months, the kill signal would drop from the data stream, reconnect and watch TV.

Please spare me the lectures at this point. Heard it all before, and just like back then, will ignore your righteous opinions, figuring you're only jealous since you didn't have the 00's back then to do it.

So, my question is, obviously this unit was taken down before the kill signal hit the smart card.
Whats different today than 10 years ago?

Last edited by 57; 2012-05-16 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Moved to existing thread. Read post 1 and the link there.
Old 2012-05-16, 05:47 PM   #525
hugh
Member #1

Make sure you keep those 6100's out of the stream until August 1st.