Citytv expands - Page 2 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-05-04, 07:08 PM   #16
cm3020prob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaMan
Now CITY needs a channel in the Atlantic Provinces to become a truly national network. They would have to start a new one, however, because I don't think there are any independents left for them to buy.
Citytv's programming was seen in the Atlantic until the sale of CHUM to CTVgm in 2007: Atlantic Satellite Network (ASN), which became /A\, then CTV Two.

There's also CJON (NTV) St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, which remains independant but is technically a Global affiliate. Apparently, Stirling Communications has no intention on selling the station, but a secondary affiliation can be a possibility.
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-04, 11:31 PM   #17
Krydor

@Downbeat

Seems like a trend for Rogers/City to buy up stations and put minimal effort into local production. There is always a need for a different voice in news, especially in a city like Montreal. At one time, a local newscast was a prestige show, and now it's a nuisance.

They want to amend their license for SCN so that they won't have to meet the only requirement the station ever had, that being a local production fund.
Old 2012-05-05, 05:30 AM   #18
madhi19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spookstaz View Post
Exciting news. CJNT is a mediocre channel.. I rarely watch it. The only time it plays real shows I find it just duplicates content from American channels such as WCAX.

Hopefully this new CityTV will have better content.. anyone like CityTV?
Use to like it before they stopped showing late night movies.
Old 2012-05-20, 09:46 PM   #19
hercules130

I have question about the CJNT programming as the future Citytv Montreal.

Will its programming follow the other Citytv stations with additional Montreal flavors? What I mean with Montreal flavors are the commercials and news. This model is basically what happens with CBC, CTV, Global.

The reason why I ask this is because Metro 14 currently carries a number of CW shows not available elsewhere in HD for those with Videotron. Current example is Hart of Dixie. The Secret Circle and Supernatural are not available elsewhere on their first airing, but available with several days delay on Space. Meanwhile, Citytv Toronto is already available on Videotron.

Point is, will there be added value in term of shows with the arrival of Citytv Montreal? In fact, I think it is worse since now American shows that Citytv carries will be simsubbed for us.
Old 2012-05-20, 11:51 PM   #20
Jase88

^^^
The answer is that it's too early to tell. There have been no announcements (that I'm aware of) that specifically address this question.
Old 2012-05-21, 08:09 AM   #21
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

As Jase88 says, it is too early to know for sure, but what you are saying us likely to happen. One thing you could ask is since there will be no need to carry both City Tononto and City Montreal, to have City Toronto replaced with CHCH (Hamilton) since it has similar programming to CJNT.
Old 2012-05-21, 09:17 AM   #22
rogue17

Quote:
Supernatural are not available elsewhere on their first airing,
Supernatural is aired same day as the CW on Omni in SD and HD, WGN on SD and HD(if you subscribe to their HD channel)
Old 2012-05-21, 09:37 AM   #23
hercules130

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue17 View Post
Supernatural is aired same day as the CW on Omni in SD and HD, WGN on SD and HD(if you subscribe to their HD channel)
Specifically for Videotron subscribers, Omni and WGN are not available in HD.
Old 2012-05-21, 09:53 AM   #24
rogue17

Ok thanks Hercules. I'm on Bell Satellite. Don't get WGN HD because it is an extra $5.But do get Omni HD.
Old 2012-05-21, 11:48 AM   #25
cm3020prob

As I explained in the thread in the french OTA section ( http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=153502 )...

CJNT currently have heavy restrictions on what they can air during a broadcast day (6am to midnight).
Quote:
1. CJNT-TV shall devote to the broadcasting of ethnic programs:
a) not less than 50% of the total number of hours broadcast monthly between 6 p.m. and midnight; and
b) not less than 75% of the total number of hours broadcast annually between 8 p.m. and 10 p.m.

2. CJNT-TV shall devote to the broadcasting of Canadian programs:
a) not less than 50% of the total number of hours broadcast annually between 6 a.m. and midnight; and
b) not less than 40% of the total number of hours broadcast annually between 6 p.m. and midnight.

3. CJNT-TV shall devote to the broadcasting of non-ethnic programs:
a) not more than 40% of the total number of hours broadcast annually between 6 a.m. and midnight; and
b) not more than 50% of the total number of hours broadcast annually between 6 p.m. and midnight.
With CJNT as a Citytv affiliate, they will be forced to broadcast 75% of ethnic programming between 8pm and 10pm, annually.
This basically mean they can simsub all 10pm shows, but in theory, they can only simsub 3.5 hours per week of US programming between 8pm and 10pm, the remaining must be ethnic programming. There are monthly and annually restrictions, some for the whole day, some for the evening. They can shift the balance by programming an all-ethnic saturday night and elsewhere during the week, as long as they reach their requirements.

So, starting June 4th, CJNT will not replace Citytv Toronto.

I haven't found yet Rogers submission to the CRTC for the purchase of the station. Have they requested for requirement modifications in the submission? Or will they submit such thing later? We'll see.

As for programming, they can air some US network shows in pre-release 6pm to 8pm, in simulcast or post-release 10pm to midnight, and 3.5 hours weekly in simulcast 8pm to 10pm. Some producers and some networks will allow or not allow specific shows to be broadcast in pre-release in Canada...

Also, CTV uses CTV Two as a dump to solve scheduling conflicts, swinging a show back and forth, sometimes a bunch of episodes will never air on CFCF, because it's not profitable to air a show out of simulcast. Global also had their issues, dropping entirely a show. So it's possible that some US shows on Citytv will never air on CJNT due to the fact that they won't air in simulcast, and therefor not profitable.

Considering the restrictions and the amount of programming on Citytv, it's unlikely that CHCH's CW shows will air on CJNT, in my opinion. We'll soon see what the programming look like. 2 weeks to go!
Old 2012-05-21, 01:49 PM   #26
roger1818
Veteran

Location: Ottawa (Stittsville), ON, OTA (DB4e & VHF-HI folded dipole, AP-2870 pre-amp in Attic), MythTV HTPC

^^^True. In the end it will probably look more like one of their ONNI stations than a City station, but given that there is no City station in Montreal, they will want to give it their flagship brand and will air City programming whenever they can. The ethnic programming will probably come from OMNI.

In the long run this could go one of two ways. It could either split into separate City and OMNI stations or they could keep applying for less and less ethnic programming.
Old 2012-05-25, 10:15 AM   #27
cm3020prob

CJNT-DT Listings for the week starting June 4th just give a typical generic programming week, whose data was wrong all week (Hart of Dixie aired tuesday, no Secret Circle thursday, but both shows were still listed at their regular airtime).

There's no existence yet of a "/montreal" website on citytv's website.

Channel Zero history so far:
- On June 14, 2010, Channel Zero announced it would be rebranding CJNT as Metro 14 in the fall. On February 2, 2011 at 6:00 a.m. EST, the station officially rebranded as Metro 14.
- On August 26, 2011, they announced a "New Morning Show to debut early October" "featuring lifestyle and entertainment programming, up-to-the minute news, weather and traffic", which finally debuted November 28, 2011, the up-to-the-minute news being text displayed at the bottom of the screen, just like they did since the digital switchover.

Will CJNT become a Citytv affiliate on June 4th as previously announced?
Old 2012-05-25, 10:42 AM   #28
cm3020prob

While I was typing my last message...
Quote:
Thanks for all the great support and feedback! As of June 4th Metro14 Montreal will be airing City programming, which means most of the shows you asked about like Sino, Supernatural and Hart of Dixie won’t be coming back on Metro14. But, we’ll have some great new shows for you to check out, the full schedule will be released in the coming weeks. We’ll still have music videos weekday mornings from 7-10am during Metro Debut!
From Metro14's facebook page.
Old 2012-05-25, 04:39 PM   #29
hercules130

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm3020prob View Post
While I was typing my last message...

From Metro14's facebook page.
Yikes! Videotron subscribers got shafted again for CW shows in HD. They already lost Vampire Diaries since it moved to CTV2 and now they will lose Hart of Dixie too. Actually, there are more CW shows not available in HD on Videotron (all channels) than they are available this season.
Old 2012-05-25, 05:53 PM   #30
roger1818
Veteran

^^^Ask Videotron to remove CittyTv Toronto from the lineup and add either CTV2 or CHCH instead.