Shaw Direct Satellite Signal and Dish Alignment questions - Page 20 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Shaw Direct (formerly Star Choice)

Old 2012-05-01, 02:31 AM   #286
Bayguy

Jim i doubt that the sun is out at Danny's house at night.

Anyway its almost May now so no sun tranits.
Bayguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-01, 03:13 AM   #287
Jimsathome

Yea, I thought it was stupid when I posted it, but I'm not sure of the effects that far north.
Old 2012-05-01, 08:21 AM   #288
Danny001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayguy View Post
Jim i doubt that the sun is out at Danny's house at night.

Anyway its almost May now so no sun tranits.
actually the Sun is out 24 hours a day now until September ...... I woke up this morning and the receivers still have no signal. The only thing I could think of was the Switch lost power, but it still has the red light on it outside.
Danny001 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-01, 04:31 PM   #289
gzink

Is everything away from the snow/moisture?
gzink is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-01, 09:06 PM   #290
Danny001

found out that I thought the light was on on the switch but turns out it wasn't. In the process of figuring this out, I also broke the the pin off the power supply cord that plugs into the switch, so now I need a new Cord. Any idea if I can buy just a cord or do I have to buy a whole new switch?
Old 2012-05-01, 10:18 PM   #291
Sirius Guy

you should be able to use a piece of rg6 cable with male ends , screw one end on the switch the other onto the ac adaptor f81 connector.
Sirius Guy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-01, 10:29 PM   #292
Danny001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Guy View Post
you should be able to use a piece of rg6 cable with male ends , screw one end on the switch the other onto the ac adaptor f81 connector.
genius lol, never thought of that for some reason....must be all this sun light!
Old 2012-05-04, 06:59 PM   #293
mitigator

Default Measuring Dish Elevation with Digital Level Question

My neice's Shaw Dish which we set up for her in Oct on the Friends & Family setup has gone out of alignment due to high winds and they are getting a lot of Pixelization and lost HD channels on Shaw Direct.

My question is I have used a Craftsman Multi-function Digital level in the past to measure Inclination and Declination on my Big Mesh Dish. Does anyone know if this Magnetic Level will work or is valid for measuring the required 31.64 Dish Elevation for Winnipeg if it is placed under the arm out to the Shaw Quad LNB on my neice's 60 cm Shaw Dish? We could then adjust for the required 33 degrees but I'm not sure if this works or applies for a small Dish. Any replies would be very much appreciated.
mitigator is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-04, 07:45 PM   #294
majortom
Veteran

I'm just guessing, your Big Dish is probably a prime focus antenna.
The smaller Ku band dishes are typically Offset feed antennas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offset_dish_antenna

http://www.shawdirect.ca/english/doc...Manual_Eng.pdf

Just use the elevation marks as indicated on page 6 of their installation manual document. Then once ya know ya got a signal, use the diagnostics of the STB to peak up the signal while ur fine tuning that setting to get the best signal quality. Once peaked up the best ya can get, tighten it down. Once locked down make sure it didn't change on ya.

I would definitely use the level on all sides of the pipe mount, to make sure it's perfectly plumb prior to adjusting anything.
Old 2012-05-04, 10:14 PM   #295
Simonizer

FWIW, I have my own motorized FTA setup, using an elliptical 33" by 30" dish. I get a 97 signal strength, with a 10.4 db rating. So it can be done on your own.

I like talking to Shaw employees about my own setup... they think I've done a great job in setting things up properly, and they give me tons of praise!
Simonizer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-04, 10:53 PM   #296
Sirius Guy

if you got a picture and just a low signal causing trouble, we are talking very minor adjustments are needed.
Pull up the signal meter on the tv and before you loosen anything simply push or pull the dish , left/right and up and down (eg push dish to the left and hold - does signal drop or increase -will tell you which way the dish needs to go. Push up and hold - same thing will tell you if dish needs an elevation adjustment.
Sirius Guy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-05, 05:05 AM   #297
mitigator

Thanks for the info Majortom & guys. We had mounted the Shaw Dish on a 8 Ft Tripod and anchored it using Sidewalk Blocks with screws through them. So maybe there was some shifting over the winter. We will definately check for Plumb (level) before any adjustments, which hopefully should be minor. Hope to find out tomorrow.

Majortom my Big Dish is a 12 Ft Unimesh - got it from a guy on Kijiji 5 years ago, and I use the Sears Digital Level to fine tune the Adjustments for Inclination & Declination which equals 6.6 degrees (57.2 - 50.6 = 6.6) when I am on Sat 97.0W - my true South Sat for Winnipeg.
Old 2012-05-06, 10:31 AM   #298
classicsat
Veteran

You only need the level to set the plumb of the pole. Elevation and Skew are set to the scales on the dish.
classicsat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-06, 11:56 AM   #299
Jimsathome

Cool Sit back and enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius Guy View Post
if you got a picture and just a low signal causing trouble, we are talking very minor adjustments are needed.
Pull up the signal meter on the tv and before you loosen anything simply push or pull the dish , left/right and up and down (eg push dish to the left and hold - does signal drop or increase -will tell you which way the dish needs to go. Push up and hold - same thing will tell you if dish needs an elevation adjustment.
I'm with Sirius Guy on this. Normally I'd too would make the vertical mount 100% plumb but in your case it's probably only out a degree or so in either, or both, planes. So I doubt I'd bother.

First take a Sharpie and mark the adjustments on the pole so you can get back there in case you it get messed up and need to start over. I'd start with asimuth. Just flex the dish in one direction and hold it there while you read the Signal Strength & Ecbno values on the worst channel that you get a picture. (Takes about 10 seconds to stabilize each time you adjust). If it improves, loosen the bolts so you can move it that direction a degree (or so) at a time while monitoring the Signal Strength & Ecbno values on the STB (set top box). If it goes down push the dish in the opposite direction. Once you peak out the asimuth, then lock down those fasteners for now.

Then flex the elevation up or down on the same channel while you continue to read the Signal Strength & Ecbno values on the STB. The procedure is the same. If the signal goes up...

Once both are tweaked then go back and check the asimuth again for final adjustments. And again on the elevation - just to max them out.

Once you've got that done sit back and enjoy!
Old 2012-05-06, 07:06 PM   #300
mitigator

Got it resolved, Tree Branch just above the Dish. When I got there my Neice said there was no picture at all & signal level was down to 49% on channel 299. Pole plumb level was 88.8 degrees instead of the objective of 90 degrees. So we tried Skew and slight East an West adjustments and brought Signal Level back to 79%. Nothing more would help improve the Signal Level. The best we could get last Oct was 82%. Just a note we had to place the dish and tripod right at the back of her yard last Oct because there is an big high appartment block next door, and the only decent shot to the Horizon was way at the back of the yard near some trees.

So I noticed a small tree branch that was above the 60 cm Dish, as they had cleared & trimmed everything else. So I said lets cut that branch off as well. Now this branch was NOT in the direct line of site - it was definately just above the Dish, so we cut it off - and Bang Reception instantly went up to 97!! Checked channel 700 and reception level was also 97!!

Problem resolved, but still trying to figure out how a small tree branch now with greenery on it and above the Dish can affect reception that much ie 20 points, - but it sure did. Thanks guys for the help and I hope this experience helps others.

Tags
burlington, cogeco, halton, shaw direct

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.