Sporadic Lost Signal - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus IPTV (also known as Optik TV)

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-05-03, 04:01 AM   #1
smurfgun

Default Sporadic Lost Signal

Hi,

I spent a bit of time reviewing old posts on similar issues but alas, I couldn't conclude anything so here is another thread.

I switch to OptikTV a few weeks ago and have the actiontec v1000h and a CIS430. Everything worked fine for 2 weeks but then I started getting freezes. Eventually, the freezes turned into "Lost Signal. Call MYTV". And soon, it seem to happen more frequent.

A telus tech came by to have a look and swapped out the modem and resynced the box. He also put in component cables in place of my HDMI cable. Everything worked again for 2 days. But I am back to picture freezing and lost signal again as of now.

The freezing occurs with coax and cat5 - I tried running the settop box off both. I have a brand new house so I would expect the wiring to be in good condition.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know. It is a pretty annoying issue. Thanks in advance.

Ray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-03, 11:19 AM   #2
SilverElectric

This shouldn't occur with any sort of regularity. Being in a new house with coax and Ethernet, the problem isn't likely to do with your in-home wiring. In fact, with Ethernet to your STB, it really shouldn't happen at all. This, to me, sounds like you have flaky DSL service, or your router is losing sync and/or IP. My suggestion to help troubleshoot would be that when you lose signal next, quickly (before it re-syncs or get a new IP) go check your router (V1000H) and look in particular at the DSL light (assuming you're on DSL and not fibre, fibre would be the Ethernet WAN light). If that light is out, your DSL lost sync (shouldn't happen). If that light is on, check the 'globe icon' labeled Internet, if that light is out, your router lost it's IP address (again, shouldn't happen). Knowing a few of these details can help folks offer guidance and help techs to get to the bottom of your issue. In my experience it doesn't sound to me that a rip/replace of your hardware will fix the issue, I'm thinking it's more network related based on the information you provided. Best of luck to you, I wouldn't want my signal lost on any sort of regular basis.
Old 2012-05-03, 04:49 PM   #3
smurfgun

Thanks for your response.

Here are more observations I made (this was before the telus tech came). Also, remember, it seems to get worst over time. For example, it started as picture freezing and then moved on to "Lost signal".

1. When the main picture freezes, my PIP in the guide is still working. That is, I entered the guide menu after the picture froze.

2. With guide PIP and main picture running, I would also notice the PIP will freeze.

3. With picture freezes, I noticed my internet connection is still okay. As it progressed to Lost Signal, I seem to lose WiFi connection as well. In this case, it seems like the modem/router is dead. So, when the telus tech came and switched out the modem/router, I thought that might have done the trick.

4. It is quite interesting that after the tech swapped out the modem, it worked for 2 days.

I will observe the lights later on tonight and report any loss of signal.

Thanks again,

Ray
Old 2012-05-03, 06:16 PM   #4
Dr.Dave

@smurfgun, it sounds like it could be a bad line. The reason that it works for awhile is that minor errors could be accumulating and causing the line to drop after enough errors have been accumulated.
Old 2012-05-03, 10:32 PM   #5
merve04

Theres a much easier way to find out if the OP is losing internet, login to your actiontec router, 192.168.1.254

Theres so counters on the main page, system up time and DSL link up time.
LG 32LS3400|Telus CIS330
Old 2012-05-03, 11:19 PM   #6
smurfgun

What's the solution to a "bad line"? I can see that the DSL light an Internet light stays on when I lose signal.

Thank
Old 2012-05-04, 09:17 AM   #7
Dr.Dave

@smurfgun, if my theory was correct, I think the DSL light should go out when the line drops. When I said "bad line", I was referring to the line from the node to your home, which only Telus can fix. Merve's suggestion is a good idea.
Old 2012-05-04, 01:18 PM   #8
smurfgun

On a couple occasions where I got the "Lost Signal", I actually lose WiFi connection and the DSL light goes off. The counters reset as well. This doesn't happen all the time though. It varies. Sometimes my internet connection stays up.

Anyway, I reported this to the Telus tech. He said he will come by and change some connections inside the box outside the house... And change some connections "a couple blocks away".

We'll see if things are better tonight.

Thanks,
Old 2012-05-05, 03:20 AM   #9
smurfgun

Well, telus guy came... Replaced some stuff a few blocks away. An maybe something just outside the house. Everything is still the same. Any other possible solutions? Or is it time to move to Shaw cable?
Old 2012-05-05, 09:39 AM   #10
Dr.Dave

smurfgun, it could be a problem with the physical copper line itself between your home and the fiber-optic node "a couple blocks away". Telus may be able to swap the line with a spare pair if one is available. If not, Telus can do an end-to-end test and check for "bridge taps" or bad connections. Sometimes moisture can get into a connection and cause sporadic problems.
Old 2012-05-22, 02:51 PM   #11
maverickk
Rookie

Been having nearly the identical issue as you smurfgun, like to monitor this thread for any updates you get.

Had Optik TV installed late April, worked without a flaw for three weeks. I have powerline devices in the house as well but Optik runs over coax.

I started having loss signal issues this week which culminated to the point where my pvr would be stuck on the initializing screen for hours before finally giving up and failing. Other two STB's lost tv signal as well.

Tech came by and replaced splitter and modem, I removed all my powerline devices and things were better for the day but had a signal lost issue this am.

Will continue to monitor the status for the next day before calling Telus again...
Old 2012-05-22, 04:33 PM   #12
Dr.Dave

maverickk, powerline devices are often a problem for Optik STBs. Are yours still unplugged or did you plug them back in? See:

Optik pixelation after powerline ethernet network installation
Old 2012-05-22, 10:58 PM   #13
maverickk
Rookie

Dr.Dave, my powerline devices have been unplugged. We had the tv on for most of the day without any signal loss so far.

Incidentally, I had powerline devices running with my Optik TV for approx. three weeks without any issues. It wasn't until I started playing Diablo 3 on my pc, which is connected to the network via powerline, that my Optik TV starting suffering single loss issues... as mentioned in a post in the thread you linked, it's most likely related to excessive packet transfer on the powerline device which causes the issue.

time to get some wireless extenders
Old 2012-05-26, 10:45 AM   #14
Lithis
Rookie

My wife and I actually had quite a few issues with our optik when we got Diablo 3. Once we disabled peer to peer on the launcher they went away. I could be wrong but our thought was that the peer to peer was just eating up to much bandwidth.
Old 2012-05-26, 12:00 PM   #15
Dr.Dave

That's interesting. I don't know how peer to peer works in Diablo 3, but I've heard of problems with peer to peer in torrents. Too many connections can overwhelm a lot of routers, causing them to drop packets.

The solution is to limit the number of connections. Is there a way to check the number of connections in Diablo 3 and to specify a maximum?