Roku ships to Canada - Page 3 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Theatre Personal Computer (HTPC) and Media Extenders

Old 2012-05-04, 12:23 PM   #31
dunlop

That is not true with all devices.

some examples are Xbox 360 (you will get weird results) and the LG TV Upgrader that I mentioned above.

You absolutely have to have a US netflix account to make them work properly.

PS3 and Boxee work like a champ though
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-04, 01:44 PM   #32
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

Yes Wayne, to your comment that's absolutely correct. I just use the one Canadian based Netflix account.

The one Roku that goes through unblock-us shows me US content. The other devices that don't show me Canadian content. All using the same Canadian based Netflix account.

The only advantage on the Roku of actually having a US based Netflix account is with regards to the instant queue. Since the 4.3 software the Netflix app has changed to say "if account_type = Canadian then show_iq=FALSE". Doesn't matter where you (or your IP address) are. What matters is where your Netflix account is homed.

I find this to be a major bummer. The IQ still shows fine on other devices including the older model Rokus!
Old 2012-05-06, 12:48 AM   #33
bdoyledimou

Roku 2 XS is now "officially" available in Canada as a Walmart exclusive.

Has anyone tried the "Canadian" version to compare it to the US version? Is is essentially the same or are there limitations special features/lacking channels?
Old 2012-05-06, 07:56 AM   #34
thenewdc
Veteran

I've gone to a number of Wal Marts and none of them know what it is, or even sell it.
Old 2012-05-07, 04:44 PM   #35
mark_in_2k

It's only available from Walmart's website right now, not instore. I've just ordered one.
Old 2012-05-07, 05:15 PM   #36
rob111

The new walmart in Brampton had them in stock last Friday. The XS2 was priced at $108 - there were 4 on the shelf, plus a couple of XD with no price.
Old 2012-05-09, 08:35 PM   #37
knucklez
Rookie

just got back from buffalo, ruko 2 XD $69+tax from target.
Old 2012-05-10, 10:48 PM   #38
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_in_2k View Post
It's only available from Walmart's website right now, not instore. I've just ordered one.
Well congratulations Mark, I'm sure you're one of about 4 people in all of Canada to have purchased one in Canada! After all, they don't market it so apart from people on these forums and the odd person who scours through the technology reports in the papers, who'd even know about this device. So I'd imagine their sales are... well let's just say "minimal".

Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklez View Post
just got back from buffalo, ruko 2 XD $69+tax from target.
You can usually also find the XS for about $85-$90 in warehouse stores like Sams Club or Costco. And they usually include an HDMI cable. Well worth it IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdoyledimou View Post
Has anyone tried the "Canadian" version to compare it to the US version? Is is essentially the same or are there limitations special features/lacking channels?
I don't think there is anything different in the actual hardware. I think it's all in the firmware version that it downloads. And that would be based on where your Roku account is based. I'm thinking that if you have a Canadian based Roku account and do a factory reset of the device it will download the Canadian firmware and give you access to the Canadian apps store. Or vice versa. But I haven't tested that myself - I have the US firmware and US channel store on mine and I don't see any reason at all why I'd need or want to change that. (No advantages that I know of)
Old 2012-05-10, 10:59 PM   #39
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

And if anyone is considering one of these, for what it's worth, I'd highly recommend it. It's a nice little box with the exception of the missing Netflix IQ that I've griped about already ;-)

However I'd really recommend the XS for a couple of reasons. First of all the RF remote. Means that you can stick the box behind the TV and out of sight. The remote sensitivity on my IR Roku's have been weak, so the RF remote on the XS is a massive improvement. And secondly because I personally find that when you plug these gizmos (Roku or ATV) in with an ethernet cable they perform way better than when on Wifi. Sadly only the XS has an RJ-45 jack now.

Overall I'm really liking my Roku's these days. It's my #1 Netflix device (out of many I own). Primarily because of the RF remote. And the quick start the "adaptive streaming" that they use to buffer and adjust PQ on the fly means your streaming starts in just a few seconds and almost never rebuffers. My old fav was the ATV2 which still does show my IQ. But it uses an IR remote and takes way longer for shows to start.

Two thumbs up. A nice little gadget and worth the price if you're into streaming IMO.
Old 2012-05-12, 10:52 AM   #40
stationg

Question US account information upon signing up roku US?

You have access to all the US channels??? which channels? thanks

Question: I am using VPN right now and signing up with Roku US I think lol, what do I put for address etc?

Use my cdn address/credit card?

Thank u
Old 2012-05-12, 11:41 AM   #41
North_of_Calgary
Veteran

I don't remember having to put in an address when I created my Roku account in 2010. Maybe that part is new. I used my Canadian based credit card.

I do have all of the US channels but I don't know why it's a big deal. I guess if you really want Hulu or Amazon on Demand I guess. But I use it primarily for Netflix (including Netflix US) and other free programming channels so it would actually make no difference to me whether I have a US or Canadian Roku account.

If I were creating a new account today I'd just make a Canadian Roku account and then watch US Netflix through unblockus.
Old 2012-06-05, 10:47 AM   #42
PhilPownall
Rookie

Default Canadian Roku - OK

I'm using the Roku XD (got it at the local Walmart) with the Justin TV private plugin to get some Live TV. Watching soccer in spanish is a hoot - and the interface is nice and clean, with some high quality feeds. The MyMedia plugin is also useful to get access to media on my network, but it does require the installation of the MyMedia server on my server.
Old 2012-07-22, 02:40 PM   #43
cafebrad

Just wanted to kickstart this again a little. London Drugs in Abbotsford-(near vancouver) has a few XD and XS models on the shelf with the XS at $109 i think.