NEW home help needed ! - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Automation and Security

Old 2012-04-26, 01:53 PM   #1
Flyingfrenchman
Rookie

Default NEW home help needed !

Hi All
First let me introduce myself I ‘am a man of wealth and taste …. Uhhh seriously I ‘am a men and I will excuse myself for my English I speak it all the time but I rarely write it.
I have found this forum and I ‘am very pleased with some on the answers that I have found but what I realize is that all the « problems » are different ass the solutions.

This is my project an eco friendly house built on 4 acres on a mountain beside the ski slope a dream project, my wife and I and very young professional that are tech savvy, but we have no experience with home automation. I ‘am building the house myself with the help of some professional and family members.

This is what I will like the house to do:
• Control lightings and a couple off swath for phantom electronic equipment,
• HVAC bosch geothermal and a heated slab for the basement and the garage (the slab will be heated with a GE GeoSpring hybrid water heater) I also have a wine cellar on a completely different system (can’t recall the name)
• Alarm system and a video surveillance for the outside + garages doors and entry doors (like the Yale deadbolt look)
• Music and Video and home theatre
I don’t need the best in everything and I understand from reading in this forum that a full integration is more expensive that having integrated application that run with different software (Ipad Iphone App). I will like a system as integrated as possible but I have a budget and I ‘am a cheap bastard  I will also like shortcut I don’t want to have to always open my Ipad to shut a light. Look is something important for me I ‘am a fashionable Geek 
Lightings: I believe Insteon is the best choice for DIY right now is this affirmation correct?
HVAC: Simple I want to control the temperature but I want it to adjust by itself in away mode etc.
Security I know nothing about this but I was recommended ELK for brain and security, I ‘am very open to suggestions regarding security what to do not to do what type of camera to use is camera really necessary. What garage door opener should I buy?
Music and home theatre this is a great debate on this forum
I have an audiophile dedicated stereo system PS Audio PerfectWave Dac with a server with 15 000 songs that I have rip from my CD collection in apple lossless. This system is in the living room and I have an app to navigate it « the Elyric » App is the only downside of this setup but they is constant upgrade beside this is truly an amazing DAC that I use as a preamp is well. Ok back to the music part the in wall speaker will only be use to listen to music in the garage while working and in the bathroom listening the morning news no critical listening will be done and the home theatre will have a dedicated system.
This is my plan: HTD brain + a number of wall controller + sonos or squeezebox to have access to my library (but I will navigate whit an IPad/Iphone) + second hand multichannel amp + tuner
Is there a better solution and all sonos is out of the equation could I use more effectively my home theatre brain Marantz AV7005 and air play? As anyone integrated a home audio to a Kohler DTV II shower?
Video 3 TV and a projector what is the best option for HDMI cat5e/6 matrix Altona is what I was quoted on but that things is so expensive I have seen 400 $ one on ebay with the « same specs » ?
Cabling I was thinking 4 x Cat6 in each room is this overkill?
The house is on the larger side with more than 3000 sq feet and a lot of open space with a couple of ceiling fan (no light) that I want to control is well

In the next couple of week I will decide and buy everything so when the project starts (July) I will have everything.
Thanks and sorry for the length of the post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-27, 07:53 AM   #2
cambo

Is there a question in there somewhere?
Old 2012-04-27, 02:20 PM   #3
Flyingfrenchman
Rookie

Hi

I'am sorry if I was not clear enough !

Yes I have a lot of questions

Is Insteon the best way to go ?
Is ELK the best brain for what I what to do
For the Havac Nest ? Ecobee ? what about the seperate system hydro floor in the basement what could I do regarding that
Could I use a Ecobee for my wine cellar "gravity evaporator"
For the video a good HDMI Matrix cat5e/6 that is not as expensive as the Altona
For the music ???
I have many questions and concerns
Old 2012-04-27, 04:45 PM   #4
NineBall

I'll cherry pick two of them. For the HDMI switch, MonoPrice offers one for roughly 1/5th the price of the Atlona and it seems to have good customer reviews on it's site and a few forums. Any other alternative like Gefen or Octava is in the same price range as the Atlona. For the HVAC control; I'm a bigger fan of the Nest (and this is why) of the two. They sell direct to the customer (a big plus for me) and you can currently manage it at the unit, from a PC or from a mobile device with their app. A Feb. 22 blog post indicates they do not currently wish to integrate with whole home systems like the Elk and word from Ecobee seems to be the same. Elk integrates with both Insteon and Z-Wave so why not use one of their HVAC controllers?
Old 2012-04-28, 08:49 AM   #5
Donnybrook

Nice sounding setup.

I'll add some second hand suggestions. A house like the one you are building needs to have water damage prevention products from the getgo. Else insurance companies will pay the first water related claim and then never again insure against any further water related damage.

This includes leak detectors/automatic shutoff valves on all water related appliances and if the house has a sump pit, use one of those computer controlled nexpumps with remote notification. If you show your broker before taking possession, most companies will give you an annual discount.

A friend of mine in the Blue Mountains near Collingwood, ON found this out the hard way last year. It cost him $95k in uninsurable damages.
Old 2012-05-04, 10:49 AM   #6
mjmiller7912
Rookie

well, speaking of wealth how about some home security? Especially if you're married and got kids. But still, if you're a man with wealth, not married I suggest to get your house some surveillance. Bad guys are anywhere you know, they could easily monitor you also.

Congratulations by the way for your new home.

I do interior design and also blog on home improvements, design, securities and give some home magazine, family plan, and ADT Reviews. I'm a homie person!
Old 2012-05-25, 02:24 PM   #7
laurin
Rookie

Default Looking like a great set up so far and some of the suggestions are top notch :)

I agree with the above, sounds like a great setup you have going on - but no mention of home security! You should take a look online at some of the stuff available to you. I do most of my shopping online with absolute automation and haven't been disappointed.