Anyone Have USTVNOW - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-05-03, 07:09 PM   #1
thenewdc
Veteran

Default Anyone Have USTVNOW

Here is an interesting service. www.ustvnow.com The basic service with OTA channels is totally free, no credit card necessary to U.S. Residents living outside the U.S. , and their premium service offers over 200 channels as long as you provide a U.S. address for billing. It's available on ROKU and Google Tv.
thenewdc is online now   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-03, 08:13 PM   #2

Signed up, no US address was requested. Works nicely.
737 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-03, 09:08 PM   #3
thenewdc
Veteran

What city are the U.S. nets from ? Are you getting it from ROKU or Google Tv?
Old 2012-05-04, 12:25 AM   #4
jaxon9032

I find this service rather interesting. It advertises that it is a service for US citizens who are out of the country (or a greencard holder, etc.). It appears to give the impression that when a broadcaster purchases rights to a program, they are purchasing rights based on the citizenship (or right to work in a particular country) rather than geographic rights.

My impression has always been that rights are geographic.

Would this mean that if I go to Seattle, I shouldn't be allowed to watch TV on the Seattle stations because CTV purchased the rights to that show.... (no questions mark because it is a rhetorical question).
jaxon9032 is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-04, 01:16 AM   #5
Blackloz

Same here I sign up and it works good.
Blackloz is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-04, 08:29 AM   #6
thenewdc
Veteran

Apparently if you are inside the U.S. they won't provide you with the Network feeds because of local rights issues, but if you are outside the U.S. then it doesn't seem to be a problem. It's possible they have purchased rights to do this for American citizens outside the country, not sure. If not, their will likely be lawsuits forthcoming. I think they likely block you if you have an IP address coming from within the U.S. The other question is now, will they sell you the cable programming?? Do you need a valid U.S. credit card?? They also mention that they have been providing this service to American Military people outside the country for some time now.
Old 2012-05-04, 10:23 AM   #7
classicsat
Veteran

I understand the locals are from someplace in PA. The broadcast stations have exclusive broadcast rights to their geographic market. Not sure how that works for cable stations.
classicsat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-04, 10:40 AM   #8
thenewdc
Veteran

Cable stations for the most part have national rights, local stations have local rights.
Old 2012-05-05, 11:34 AM   #9
educator_bhoy

is this site only for items like Roku and mobile phones? I signed up on a Macbook and I got no picture.
educator_bhoy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-05, 12:26 PM   #10
NovaMan

I have a problem checking this:

"I am an American citizen (by birth or naturalization) and hold a United States passport or ‘Green Card’ for permanent residence. I understand that USTVNow’s Internet content is available, at this time, only to US citizens and residents while they are in foreign countries. I promise and warrant that my use of USTVNow is and will be consistent with this limitation."...."Check to agree to above conditions"

In order to receive this service I have to lie about my citizenship. What are the legal ramifications of doing this?
NovaMan is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-05, 01:42 PM   #11
thenewdc
Veteran

I tried it on both a PC and ROKU and it works fine, not sure why it doesn't on a MacBook, you may need a plugin. I doubt their are any legal ramifications for signing up if you are not really American, or they would have asked you for your passport number. It's worth trying the service and you can cancel whenever you like.
Old 2012-05-05, 05:56 PM   #12
educator_bhoy

ok I realised what I was doing wrong, I was channels from their premium service such as ESPN, but their prices seem out of wack, 169 bucks a month for their premium service??
educator_bhoy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-05, 06:34 PM   #13
thenewdc
Veteran

They have a cheaper plan for 29.00/month for basic cable channels including ESPN. They also include a built-in DVR service included. Considering it's free and picture quality is pretty good, it's a good alternative to simsubs for sure.
Old 2012-05-07, 07:45 AM   #14
dsspredator

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicsat View Post
I understand the locals are from someplace in PA.

Looks like network affiliates for Harrisburg, PA.
dsspredator is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-08, 01:20 PM   #15
rmchahn

Location: OTtAwa (Byward Market); Sony Bravia KDL46SL140; Mini State HDMS9100

I signed up on my ipod touch and works well for me.

But is this truly a legal sight? Do they have an agreement with all of the networks available through them?
rmchahn is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.