Vancouver High Speed Turbo 25 Availability - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > Telus > Telus High Speed Internet and Home Phone

Old 2012-05-04, 12:48 AM   #1
Knowthenazz
Rookie

Default Vancouver High Speed Turbo 25 Availability

Hi,

I live in Vancouver, near Oakridge, and I currently do not have High Speed Turbo 25 available in my area.

I’m was just wondering if anyone has an idea of how quickly they are upgrading the Vancouver area to support Turbo 25.

Thanks!
Knowthenazz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-22, 02:52 AM   #2
bac0

From what I can tell, very slowly, if at all...

I'd like to know the answer to this too, I've been asking Telus periodically since last summer but they can't say when or even *IF* Turbo 25 is coming to my area (not far west of Oakridge)

Very frustrating
bac0 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-22, 03:05 AM   #3
Knowthenazz
Rookie

Hi,

I have a funny suspicion that we probably live in the same area.

I did some testing, and I've found that all residences in my area (I tested several dozen), which seems to be bound by major streets, do not have Turbo 25 availability yet.

However, if you go one block beyond the those major streets, there is always availability.

I also think I've isolated the 2 future DSLAM locations in my area as well, so I've been going out of my way when I drive/ride home to see if there has been any new installations there (assuming they have to install a new cabinet when they finally do install the DSLAMs).

I do think that it will coming in this area. I suspect that a lot of people in this area are asking for it and would be willing to pay a little extra for more speed. However, considering all the surrounding areas already has availability, its possible that there are some technical hurdles that they have to get past first.

But I did find out some good news the last time I chatted with the Telus rep. In order to compete with the other ISPs, Telus is currently testing 50 mbps in Calgary.
Old 2012-05-23, 02:19 AM   #4
bac0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowthenazz View Post
I did some testing, and I've found that all residences in my area (I tested several dozen), which seems to be bound by major streets, do not have Turbo 25 availability yet.

However, if you go one block beyond the those major streets, there is always availability.
Interesting observation, and clever idea - I hadn't thought of checking like that... indeed I now see via Telus website that someone I know just north of me a few blocks past a major street has Turbo25 availability. I'm guessing now if I were to check others just S,E,W of me I'd find I'm in a black hole of sorts...

I for one am willing to pay to get higher speeds, in particular get faster upload (need it for Slingbox), but only way to get it with Telus is T25 and they can't offer it to me. Meanwhile I've been testing 50Mb down/2.5Mb up on Shaw, and they have many other even higher speed offerings in my area. but for various reasons I'd rather go with Telus, if only they'd upgrade my area. or at least give some timeline of when or even *IF* they ever will (they won't even give any hints of "if" it is coming)

an insider friend couldn't give me any details but basically said it depends on demand. not sure how Telus decides there is demand in a given area...
Will have to keep an eye out for those potential future DSLAM locations you spotted!
Old 2012-05-23, 06:16 AM   #5
Knowthenazz
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bac0 View Post
Interesting observation, and clever idea - I hadn't thought of checking like that...
Hi bac0,

Thanks for the compliment, but, I'm not sure if it was that clever... probably more desperate

I share your frustration with this, but, I'd be surprised if we didn't have availability by the end of the summer.

I agree, I very much prefer Telus as well.

Keep your fingers crossed...
Old 2012-05-24, 01:30 AM   #6
bac0

Hi Knowthenazz

You're more optimistic than I, but I will keep my fingers crossed! Hopefully we'll see something good soon
Old 2012-05-24, 02:29 AM   #7
Knowthenazz
Rookie

Hi bac0,

I sent you a PM
Old 2012-07-13, 03:20 PM   #8
bac0

update - just noticed Turbo 25 is finally available on my line. Installation this week. Just in time, Shaw is increasing their price on Extreme for the 2nd time this year.
Old 2012-07-14, 01:28 AM   #9
Knowthenazz
Rookie

Hi bac0,

You sure are lucky I still don't have availability for some reason.

As we live close to each other, I hope I get it soon

I sent you another PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.