RIM admits to organizing anti-Apple Rally in Australia - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Not the Digital Home > News, Weather, and Sports

Old 2012-05-02, 03:54 PM   #1
PokerChip
Veteran

Default RIM admits to organizing anti-Apple Rally in Australia

From CBC News

Quote from article:

BlackBerry maker Research in Motion is confirming media reports that it was behind anti-Apple flashmobs that took place in Australia last week.

In a statement released Monday night, the Waterloo, Ont., company admitted that RIM Australia created the "Wake Up" campaign, which it says involves a series of experiential activities taking place across Sydney and Melbourne.

Rather shameful. I guess desperate times call for desperate measures.

I find it rather ironic that they would tell Apple to "wake up". It seems pretty obvious that they have been asleep at the wheel for quite a long time.
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-02, 04:28 PM   #2
billpaidJr

I think they are telling Apple users to wake up...not apple. Kind of the same campaign that Apple has been using against Microsoft PC users for many years. Nothing new here...other than now apple is the target.

The products and the market in the end determine winners and losers.
Old 2012-05-02, 04:42 PM   #3
PokerChip
Veteran

You're probably right about who the message is aimed at. However, it's not clear whether this is the case.

At any rate, if this is part of a BlackBerry 10 strategy, it would make more sense to say it after more people have been made aware of the new UI, features, handsets, etc.
Old 2012-05-02, 05:36 PM   #4
jshel101
Veteran

I found this to be a pretty pathetic campaign. Not sure how they think they can convince an iPhone user to switch to BB. They would be moving backwards switching over. There is a reason people are switching to IOS and Android in mass volumes.
Old 2012-05-02, 06:18 PM   #5
McPatrick

i understand consumers switching from blackberry but not businesses. iphone's,droids, and windows phones are nothing but toys. blackberry is a seamless basic smartphone with one of the most secure mobile e-mail services in the world. why would an executive need the added feature of being able to play angry birds and paper toss on their business phone
Old 2012-05-02, 07:15 PM   #6
Simonizer

What is this Blackberry you speaketh of?
Old 2012-05-02, 09:13 PM   #7
Jake

Quote:
iphone's,droids, and windows phones are nothing but toys
Wow I don't even use a smart phone but even I can see where the market is heading.

And it would seem these folks agree.

Quote:
The company’s long-time mainstay—big corporations – aren’t as reliable a customer base any more, either, as many companies shift to a “Bring your own device” policy, meaning employees can choose their own smart phone, including iPhones or Android phones, rather than being restricted to a BlackBerry.
A five percenter?
http://www.thestar.com/business/arti...hare-rbc-warns
Old 2012-05-03, 09:28 AM   #8
jshel101
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPatrick View Post
i understand consumers switching from blackberry but not businesses. iphone's,droids, and windows phones are nothing but toys. blackberry is a seamless basic smartphone with one of the most secure mobile e-mail services in the world. why would an executive need the added feature of being able to play angry birds and paper toss on their business phone
Wow, are you ever out to lunch. Can you answer why more and more corporations are moving away from BB's? It is not to go to "toys" as you put it. It is to move to better mobile OS's. Better, faster phones. I am sorry for going OT. I know this thread is not a battle between BB and the better mobile OS's.
Old 2012-05-03, 10:15 AM   #9
McPatrick

how is ios or droid even better than blackberries other than able to play games on? corporations stay with RIM because of the secure e-mail service.
Old 2012-05-03, 11:13 AM   #10
NeilN
Veteran

Quote:
how is ios or droid even better than blackberries other than able to play games on?
This shows a fundamental lack of knowledge of the thousands of business apps (both public and private) available for iOS and Android but not on the Blackberry.

And can you please explain how Blackberry's email architecture, which has email going through their servers, is more secure than an SSL connection directly to your company's mail server?
Old 2012-05-03, 11:40 AM   #11
Jake

I realize this thread has seemingly gone off-topic. However, since RIM is using this campaign as a "Wake Up" it only seems appropriate to allow debate on why the rest need a wake up call, if at all. Just keep comments respectful. This thread is really about peeling back various smart phone myths and stereotypes and letting the consumer make a decision based on facts not opinions.
Old 2012-05-03, 12:06 PM   #12
LONSat

We are still a BB shop with a smattering of bring you own devices all of them none BB. However it is becoming increasingly rare to find companies writing mobility apps for anything other than iOS and Android platform. BB may be technically superior in many ways but if the developer community has moved on then RIM is either toast or faces a long uphill battle to get the developer community back onside. Increasingly difficult if your market and developers are shifting away in lock step.

RIM rested on their laurels for far too long and from everything I have heard made it difficult and more expensive to write for the BB environment.
Old 2012-05-03, 01:45 PM   #13
jshel101
Veteran

Quote:
corporations stay with RIM because of the secure e-mail service.
Again, there are a lot of large corporations moving away from BB to IOS and Android devices. I work for a large corporation with 60,000+ employees. They are currently doing trials on iPhones. If the trial succeeds, then they will be replacing our BB's with iPhones. There are lots of companies like us.
Old 2012-05-09, 09:32 AM   #14
travisc
Veteran

BB's only real strong point is the physical keyboard. You can argue that the business owners want the e-mail security, but unfortunately for RIM that's not enough to keep them afloat.

My wife has a Blackberry Torch that crashes whenever she tries to install an app or an update. As a result she does neither. My iPhone works without a flaw. Guess what she'll be getting when the contract is up?
Old 2012-05-09, 01:53 PM   #15
mr weather
Veteran

My Torch has been rock solid since getting it last June. My only issue is battery life but I think that's endemic to all smartphones.

I like it better than Mrs. Weather's iPhone, particularly where I can mark all my email as read in one fowl swoop and have the device turn on and off automatically.