PAP2T and Vonage - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Internet, Phone, TV and Wireless Service Providers > VoIP Providers

Old 2012-05-02, 07:17 PM   #1
notsure
Veteran

Default PAP2T and Vonage

Has anyone been able to get one of these working with Vonage?

I'm no longer using my unit and would like to setup my folks to use it in a second location with their Vonage service. I've been seeing conflicting information that it should or shouldn't work.

TIA
notsure is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-02, 09:04 PM   #2
HDTV101
Veteran

Was this PAP2 used before as a Vonage device?

You cannot use a PAP2 device that was not made for Vonage as Vonage has their own firmware in the PAP'2's that they sold. If you call to support, they can give you some options for getting another device. Vonage also keeps their ATA's, what even brand they be, user locked.

If this was a PAP2 that was used by you for Vonage, and you don't owe Vonage any money, they should let you set it up for your parents to use.
HDTV101 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-03, 07:09 AM   #3
MichelR

There's also the possibility of going with some other VoIP provider that lets you "bring your own device", if that's a viable option for your parents. Then you're not stuck with the inconvenience of proprietary hardware etc.
MichelR is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-03, 09:09 AM   #4
notsure
Veteran

Yea, this is the device I was using with VoIP.ms before getting IP phones.

I've been trying to convince them to move away from Vonage but they are resisting. For what they pay Vonage in one month, they could get 6 or 7 months out of VoIP.ms according to my calculations.

This was purely a convenience thing for my folks since the device is currently sitting in a box in the basement collecting dust.

Thanks!
Old 2012-05-06, 06:09 AM   #5
HDTV101
Veteran

Well Vonage in my opinion is just glorified VoIP... it's in no way or shape better then VoIP.ms.

VoIP.ms is a high quality service... maybe even better then Vonage for a fraction of the price.

I moved my Mom from a Bell line to VoIP.ms ... do you think she even noticed?
Yes she did... she said it sounds so much better and louder & her bill for phone service went from $80 a month to less then $10 and she loves that part best!
Old 2012-05-06, 08:20 AM   #6
notsure
Veteran

^^^^ Maybe I can get you to speak with my parents!!!!! I've been wanting to do this for them for a little over a year now.

The scary part for them seems to be surrounding porting the phone number even though I've assured them it would be perfectly fine. They really don't want to lost the current number.
Old 2012-05-06, 09:00 AM   #7
MichelR

I had Rogers Home Phone and it was costing me nearly $50 a month. With voip.ms I'm down to about $4/month (note that I don't talk on the phone all that much). But even if they use the phone a lot, they can probably talk quite a bit before getting into Vonage or Bell territory in terms of prices.

My number was ported from Rogers in 7 days, no problems whatsoever. Whether Vonage play nice with ports, that I don't know (I have read that some companies take their time porting numbers to a new provider).
Old 2012-05-07, 05:59 AM   #8
HDTV101
Veteran

My mom's port from Bell was a 1 week wait... VoIP.ms sent me many emails to keep me up to date, they even knew the time of day the port would take place.. sure enough it did happen at that time... it was seamless and all went well.
Old 2012-05-07, 07:26 AM   #9
MichelR

The only weird thing I noticed is that the morning of the port, my phone number wasn't working. I first checked around 9-9:30am. Then around 1pm I checked again and the number was working, and a minute later I had an e-mail from voip.ms saying the port had been completed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.