Nat Geo Wild (new channel coming May 7th) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Television Industry / Channels and Providers

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-04-30, 09:17 PM   #1
Fry1989

Cool Nat Geo Wild (new channel coming May 7th)

Just saw the promo for it on BBC Canada. I remember reading about a previous application for Nat Geo Wild a couple years ago and they were turned down by the CRTC because Animal Planet objected, but looks like it's coming in a week.

I did a search and was surprised that no threads have been started about it, but then, I only just heard of it today, so maybe it was kept under wraps. Sadly it's a Shaw Channel, so I'm gonna have to wait a long time for it to come on Bell
Fry1989 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-05-01, 01:05 AM   #2
CastleRockDays

Nice!
More info on it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nat_Geo_Wild_%28Canada%29
As of now, it says that the channel positions for Shaw Direct & Shaw Digital are TBD
Old 2012-05-01, 01:05 AM   #3
Hotwax

I heard about the approval a few weeks ago, but it wasn't until today when they announced the set launch date.
Hotwax is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-01, 09:07 AM   #4
MCIBUS
Veteran

Question

Not necesarily?

BTV is carring most of Shaws SD & HD Channels so it quite possible this might be added and I do recall a deal BTV & Shaw sign about carring each others channels so it might show up.
MCIBUS is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-01, 11:23 AM   #5
David1953

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia(Maestro whole home PVR with two terminals)

I hope Eastlink offers this one, especially if there is an HD version.
David1953 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-01, 05:07 PM   #6
tofinoguy

Here's the upcoming schedule: http://shawmedia.ca/advertising/broa...d/schedule.asp

Not sure why anyone would want this channel. Looks like about 6 shows repeated ad-nauseum. Check out the weekend lineup!
tofinoguy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-01, 07:51 PM   #7
mismag

Well you have to remember that lineup is just for now. Eventually they will get more shows on there once they acquire them.
mismag is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-01, 08:37 PM   #8
reidw
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mismag View Post
Well you have to remember that lineup is just for now. Eventually they will get more shows on there once they acquire them.
Boy are you an optimist! All of these specialty channels only stay on the air by showing a minimal amount of product over and over. We've already got a 24/7 nature channel in OASIS and it barely finds enough new material to keep going.

There's also the subject of the Nat. Geo's track record to date. Few of their programs even touch on "geography" and many are repeats from sister specialty channels. I doubt if Nat. Geo Wild will be any different once their intial inventory has been aired.
reidw is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-01, 11:07 PM   #9
thenewdc
Veteran

I willing to wager we won't see it on Rogers anytime soon
thenewdc is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-02, 02:59 PM   #10
Tridus

How long before they try to figure out how to get The Dog Whisperer onto this channel, since it's pretty much the only show on their other channel?
Tridus is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-02, 09:29 PM   #11
reidw
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tridus View Post
How long before they try to figure out how to get The Dog Whisperer onto this channel, since it's pretty much the only show on their other channel?
Well it's about animals. Doesn't that (sort of) meet the criteria? Or perhaps when Wild starts operating The Dog Whisperer will no longer be part of the Nat. Geo's main channel programming (We can only hope).
reidw is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-02, 10:51 PM   #12
NovaMan

I just received an e-mail from Shaw stating that "Nat Geo Wild" will be available on Shaw Direct the day the channel launches on May 7th.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/
NovaMan is online now   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-05, 09:45 PM   #13
Fry1989

Watching the sneak prreview on Nat Geo right now, the programming looks promissing.
Fry1989 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-06, 01:07 PM   #14
ticky

So why was this rejected the first time but not the second time? Isn't the whole point of television competition between channels?
ticky is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 2012-05-06, 02:06 PM   #15
Tridus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticky View Post
So why was this rejected the first time but not the second time? Isn't the whole point of television competition between channels?
When the BDUs will just throw both of them into the same bundle and people's choice will be both are neither?
Tridus is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.