Can you use the same SSID on multiple WAPs? - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > Home Computing

Old 2012-04-30, 02:51 PM   #1
Wayne
Veteran

Default Can you use the same SSID on multiple WAPs?

I have three floors on my house (basement, first and second) and I have put additional wifi routers (configured to work as just WAPs/switches) on the first and second floors. Currently I am using different SSIDs for each WAP/router. Would it cause a conflict to use the same SSID (and password) for all three routers? I notice that many commercial installations seem to have many WAPs all using the same SSID but I wonder if you need a special setup to use that or if you can do that at home. Or will my wifi devices get confused if they happen to see three devices all called "WayneWifi"?

Note - I have several different brands of router - Netgear, Linksys, Asus if that matters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-30, 03:25 PM   #2
ScaryBob
Veteran

It will work. Portable devices will just connect to the AP with the strongest signal. APs can be on the same or different frequencies. Not sure which is best. Devices should switch APs as they move between "zones."
Old 2012-04-30, 04:25 PM   #3
JamesK
Veteran

Yes, you can have multiple APs with the same SSID. I have done that in a business installation. However, you should have them on different channels to avoid interference.

BTW, you can find some info here about this, though it is aimed at larger sites.
Old 2012-05-02, 02:51 AM   #4
Tikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaryBob View Post
It will work. Portable devices will just connect to the AP with the strongest signal. APs can be on the same or different frequencies. Not sure which is best. Devices should switch APs as they move between "zones."
They should, but usually won't switch until signal drops
Old 2012-05-13, 12:24 AM   #5
tripod

I have some ideas that my help you out

Try and put the router as central in your house as you can, you might get by with only one router.

You could also look into getting higher db antennas,

or a higher powered router like the Asus N66, Asus N56, Netgear WNDR4500, ect. They will run you about $150-180-ish but have excellent range.

or you want to use your existing equipment and if your routers can support WRT firmware (DD-WRT, OpenWRT, Tomato, Gargoyle, ect - can add features to your $80 router that essentially turn it into a $300 router.). You can flash your secondary routers (or all of them if you want) and configure them as repeaters, bridges, ect. for whatever your needs are.

As an example - My laser printer is hooked up through ethernet to a router bridged wirelessly to my main network.
Old 2012-05-27, 08:55 PM   #6
k4kman

I just setup two wireless routers both with the same SSID and things work.

My problem is if I take my portable device and start it in one room it does not switch to the other one unless I start and stop WiFi on it.

Is there any way to make it do that the device will auto pick up the stronger signal?

If I do load on DD-WRT or something and put my 2nd one in repeater mode will things work between the two better then how I have it now?
Old 2012-05-27, 09:31 PM   #7
JamesK
Veteran

No, repeater mode will just make things worse, as it has to receive and then retransmit the data and you'd still have the same issue of not switching to the stronger signal. I do not know of any way to have it switch to the stronger signal, so long as it's receiving one, at least not with consumer level equipment. There is some industrial grade equipment that will do that, but it's expensive and meant more for large sites with multiple access points.

Update: I was just looking into something that might work and found a setting "Roaming Sensitivity Level", which might have some effect on this, but I haven't found any solid info on it. In Windows 7, it's on the Advanced tab of the adapter properties.

Last edited by JamesK; 2012-05-27 at 10:04 PM. Reason: More info
Old 2012-06-01, 10:36 AM   #8
rsoares28

I would go the ddwrt route. I have the same setup but with 2 linksys E2000 routers. My main router is in the bsmt and the second is on the top floor.(no router on the middle main floor) i used to this guide to configure them. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...s_Access_Point

all my devices switch to the stronger signal seemlessly
Old 2012-06-01, 11:09 AM   #9
notsure
Veteran

If your router can handle dd-wrt I would personally give Tomato a try as well.

All around, I found it to be a little better than dd-wrt in most/all categories from ease of use to features.
Old 2012-06-01, 06:08 PM   #10
Tikker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsoares28 View Post
I would go the ddwrt route. I have the same setup but with 2 linksys E2000 routers. My main router is in the bsmt and the second is on the top floor.(no router on the middle main floor) i used to this guide to configure them. http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php...s_Access_Point

all my devices switch to the stronger signal seemlessly
there's nothing in what you linked that's different from what anyone else has described. I've also used DD-wrt on various routers over the years, and have never seen clients switch to the strongest available signal while roaming.

clients will tenaciously cling to the WAP they initially synced to as long as they're getting a semi decent signal. drives me nuts (this is laptops, iDevices, android devices, etc etc)
Old 2012-06-01, 09:56 PM   #11
JamesK
Veteran

^^^^
Quite so. WiFi devices do not scan for better connections so long as they have one. Such switching to stronger signals has to be done by the network and consumer level access points don't support that.