Hitachi & Other Manufacturers Convergence Problems (STK392-110 ICs) Read Post 1 - Page 52 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Consumer Electronics and Home Computing > HDTV: Front and Rear Projection Screens and Televisions

Old 2012-03-29, 02:39 AM   #766
saeia
Rookie

Oh ok so there is no danger of radiation from RP guns? Thats great news.. just kinda feels like i got burnt on the inside like an xray.. maybe its just radiation.. now i just hope someone else can help with the angle issue ^^
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-03-29, 09:52 AM   #767

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

saeia: I've moved your post to this existing thread on convergence issues. Please read post one of this thread thoroughly and carefully. All the information you need is there as it has been distilled from years of posts here.

You don't have radiation, but as mentioned in post 1, there is high voltage in these TVs and you could be dead!
Old 2012-03-29, 12:13 PM   #768
cambo

Saeia

These TV's are not meant to be opened by the untrained. If you're not sure what you're doing, you're best to close it up and contact a qualified service person.

The only part meant to be replaced (sometimes) is the bulb. Anything else and you're asking for trouble. Not from "radiation", but from the high-voltage capacitors. You can easily further damage the TV, or yourself.
Old 2012-03-29, 12:25 PM   #769

Location: Toronto, Rogers, 9865 & 8300-eHDD, Panasonic TCP65S1, Denon AVR4310Ci; Sony KDL40W3000, 8300-eHDD

Quote:
The only part meant to be replaced (sometimes) is the bulb.
The topic of this thread - CRT-based RPTVs - don't have bulbs.
Old 2012-03-29, 12:39 PM   #770
cambo

Quote:
The topic of this thread - CRT-based RPTVs - don't have bulbs.
The point is, he's putting himself in a lot of danger by opening the cabinet. Not whether a bulb can/should be replaced.
Old 2012-03-29, 12:40 PM   #771

Thank you for pointing that out. That point is also covered in huge letters in post 1 of this thread. It's probably also printed on the access panel(s) of the TV itself.

TVs that have replaceable bulbs (like DLP, LCD, LCoS RPTVs) have them in separate sections that can be handled by most handy people, but that's the topic of another thread.
Old 2012-03-29, 04:53 PM   #772
saeia
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57 View Post
saeia: I've moved your post to this existing thread on convergence issues. Please read post one of this thread thoroughly and carefully. All the information you need is there as it has been distilled from years of posts here.

You don't have radiation, but as mentioned in post 1, there is high voltage in these TVs and you could be dead!
57, Thanks i will read this thread And i know full well about the dangers of capacitors. I've been a pc tech for almost 10 years now and i've replaced many capacitors. Never worked on anything this big but i understand the dangers.
Old 2012-05-01, 10:56 PM   #773
rrayfrmcal
Rookie

Default Diff symptoms - same problem?

Hi 57,

You've done great work all these years on this thread helping hundreds of folks save a bunch of cash. Thanks.

I have replaced the IC's twice in the past and each time they lasted about 3 years. On those occacions the symtoms were convergence related. The set just went out again but this time there is no picture and you only get the sound to work if you press the channel button? The model is a 60SDX88BA, yea I know it's old but it still had a great picture.

Thanks for the help.

Rick
Old 2012-05-01, 11:36 PM   #774

Here's a list of things to check/try. Can't help much beyond that. Do you get a flashing light error code (a certain number of flashes)? If so you can ask an Hitachi technician what the code means.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=19694
Old 2013-02-26, 04:44 PM   #775
srfrdudeo7
Rookie

Exclamation HELP! with Hitachi 43fdx20b

I ran magic focus and after I did that this came up ? what could this mean?

http://tinypic.com/r/bec3g0/7
Old 2013-02-26, 04:50 PM   #776

Your post was moved to this existing thread. You likely have an issue with the convergence ICs or something else in the convergence circuitry. Read post 1 of this thread thoroughly and carefully. Since your TV is over 10 years old, it's probably not worth getting it fixed unless you wish to tackle it yourself. 40-50" TVs are pretty inexpensive these days and would have much better picture quality.

The overflow condition can arise also when doing a manual (or DCAM) convergence - link in post 1, but I'm not sure that's available for your model - check the operating manual for convergence options.

Here's a post useful for those new to the forum - FAQs, Search Tips, Optimization, etc:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57741
Old 2013-03-13, 01:00 AM   #777
wrencher
Rookie

Default got 5 minutes, now it chirps

My 12+ year old 43fdx01b finally took a nap last week. Never ever seen the repairman. Was working downstairs and TV was on with nobody watching. when I finally looked at it I noticed a red color misalignment.

Hit the convergence button and noticed a wavy/occilating vertical convergence issue. Next step: service convergence (blue button).
In the past I've gotten away with hitting power while holding input on remote. (saves having to open front panel). Got an image almost identical to post #543

http://i35.tinypic.com/25993f7.jpg

Horizontals were good but vertical same as pic and occilating/flutter left/right about
.5 inches. Tried moving convergence, but was unsuccessful-would start to move then spaz out or move wrong direction. Powered down opened front panel and retried with blue button...same!

Indexed and tried adusting rings on red crt- no good. In ignorance fiddled with
focus/screendrive- dumb.
That's when I found this forum and ordered the "repair parts". Got the latest: stk394-160e and the 6 resistors as per bulletin. Even though none were out of spec.
changed the parts and when I turned on almost same exact image as before,
didn't seem to occilate/flutter though but set is cold. Went ahead and tried adjusting convergence. kinda/maybe seemed to work. Was getting in within ballpark or was it my illusion.
when puff- screen went out and faint chirp chirp chirp coming from rear d.e.f power supply area. I think behind 2 large caps or transformer area. red led also pulsing with chirps. If i unplug power feed to board the chirp stops.

Any ideas? Seen this problem before?

Pulled the board again and rechecked every solder joint and for any "burn't or discolored resistor". also around board...and for cold solder joints. Can't find squat.
I would find it strange that the chips had and rehave the exact same prob/symptome.

Could it have been a weak power supply prob that finally blew with the new chips? (think I read they are rated higher amp)
Would greatly appreciate any input on this issue.

re: I know its an old set and I have a new flat being delivered hopefully tomorrow.
But I like this old dinosaur and would like to shove it in the gameroom. 4X3 still rock in my opinion.
Old 2013-03-13, 02:43 AM   #778
wrencher
Rookie

anybody have any ideas where i could find a copy of the service manual for
hitachi 43fdx01b. hopefully free as tv is very old and worth nada.
Old 2013-03-13, 10:30 AM   #779

Searched the web for "Hitachi 43FDX01B Service Manual" and found several links. Here's one: Good Luck with your repair.

http://www.s100-manuals.com/529598--...i_43Fdx01B.htm
Old 2013-03-13, 10:40 PM   #780
wrencher
Rookie

Update, I checked a few resistances on the board and decided to swap out one of the 2 chips (i chose the red ctrl), 50/50 chance that if it was a bad chip, tv would turn on when i swap it. and 50/50 chance if one of the old original chips was blown i'd not grab it.
well tv back on ....but convergence spazed out again. maybe tomorrow i'll swap the red chip again and see if there is a difference. it's either that or a DCU problem i figure- I hope that my messy convergence is not something i caused. Wish I had the later set with auto convergence set .
If it wasn't that i don't know for sure that this is the problem i'd pick up some 150 series on friday.