TekSavvy Cable Internet Discussion - Page 18 - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

Go Back   Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums > Canadian Digital Industry Forums > Internet, Landline and Wireless Phone

Digital Home Helpful Information

Old 2012-04-28, 02:49 PM   #256
grandriver125
Rookie

I question that statement that DSL speeds haven't been slower than cable for some time. In my case that is far from the truth. The fastest DSL I can get from Bell is currently providing 1.4 mb down and .3 up. Is there ANY cable company that offers a maximum speed that slow?

I'm located in Lakeshore just east of Windsor/Tecumseh. Cogeco has decided not to enter our area since all 213 homes have Bell TV. So, Bell is free to shaft us with lousy service and ignore our complaints.

GR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 2012-04-28, 03:06 PM   #257
TorontoColin

That's the maximum in your area, but it's hardly the maximum for all of Ontario. Besides, this thread is about Teksavvy, not Bell. In Ontario, the fastest cable offering Teksavvy provides is 28 mbps, while the fastest DSL option is 25. The difference in download speed is negligible.

Obviously everything is subject to availability.
Old 2012-04-28, 05:25 PM   #258
ScaryBob
Veteran

TSI has a connection fee for cable internet. Last time I looked, it was $65 and the DOCSIS 3.0 modem was $99 + $10. There is a $20 installation discount if the modem is purchased with the installation (which I recommend in this case.) At that rate, payback, after switching, will take about 11 months. TSI seems to have worked out most of the problems with it's system so, apart from service switching coordination, it should be trouble free.
Old 2012-04-30, 05:16 PM   #259
raider
Rookie

"If you have other services with Rogers, you can usually negotiate a 20% discount overall which would bring you under $40 if you agree to stay with them for a while (talk to retentions). If you have TV (and/or other services) with Rogers, by removing internet you may be affecting your overall bill and not save what you think if you have discounts now."

I understand what you're saying, and I called them and they can only offer me 10% discount. I have Cable, Cell, Internet.... you get 5% for two services, 10% for 3, 15% for 4 and so on...

so even with the 10% discount, still alot cheaper to switch, after the modem purchase (pays off itself after 8 months or so) and for $10 less a month I'm getting 300GB cap and not 70, and if I switch my cell (currently paying around $65 a month for data and text and who know what else, lol) well I can get WindMobile for $40 unlimited!

So ya, be worth it to switch.
Old 2012-04-30, 06:11 PM   #260
Arqual
Rookie

I have just received an e-mail from Teksavvy for the BC/AB regions and it irritates me as I just signed up with them 2 months ago.

Dear TekSavvy Customer,

TekSavvy is happy to announce that we are introducing new cable Internet packages to British Columbia and Alberta. As a TekSavvy customer, you are receiving this notice first. Generally our offerings have improved significantly, with very competitive pricing and bandwidth options.

Here are the new products and pricing.

TekSavvy Basic Cable 1 | 1Mb/256Kb Usage Unlimited $24.95

TekSavvy Express Cable 7.5 | 7.5Mb/512Kb Usage 75GB $31.95

TekSavvy Express Cable 7.5 Unlimited | 7.5Mb/512Kb Usage Unlimited $39.95

TekSavvy Extreme Cable 25 | 25Mb/2.5Mb Usage 75GB $43.95

TekSavvy Extreme Cable 25 Unlimited | 25Mb/2.5Mb Usage Unlimited $49.95

According to CRTC rules, TekSavvy is obligated to give you 30 days notification of a price change. With these new packages, we feel confident that you will want to take advantage of the new rates and packages prior to 30 days. To help you easily make your selection, we have enhanced "My World". Simply log in and make your selection, and allow 15 days for the changes to come into effect. Please note that changes in speeds will incur a $25 speed change fee. Changes to bandwidth within your speed will not be charged.

So if I stay at the same 25 tier I am at then I go from 36.95 to 43.95 and lose 225 GB usage. If I do not call them to make any changes then they automatically move me to the unlimited plan and I pay 14 dollars more which is a 35% increase. 75GB usage is not acceptable these days. I might switch to one of the duopolies because I will barely see any savings and it will take me 3 years to see savings against Telus 25Mbps plan due to the activation cost and modem. If I ever need a tech then that "savings" is gone immediately.

Last edited by Arqual; 2012-04-30 at 06:28 PM.
Old 2012-05-01, 12:29 AM   #261
ScaryBob
Veteran

Are they just the new packages and are the 300GB packages being kept? I ask because these packages were just added in Ontario but the 300GB plans are still available. Unfortunately, there was a rate hike recently due to a CRTC ruling that affected wholesale prices to ISPs like TSI. I assume the 75BG plans were introduced to give customers a lower priced option closer to the former 300GB rates.
Old 2012-05-01, 01:13 AM   #262
Nazzrath
Rookie

If I actually got anywhere near the 25mbps speed advertised by Teksavvy in the Vancouver area, I wouldn't mind paying the increase. But with my speed averaging 7mbps I'll probably look into signing up with Telus. At least I'll be hitting near 15mbps. I would prefer switching back to Shaw, but their stand alone internet prices are absolutely insane.
Old 2012-05-01, 01:36 AM   #263
Arqual
Rookie

This is for the BC/AB regions as the e-mail states. These are replacing the current packages and it is a price rise across the board except for unlimited 7.5 and unlimited 25 with he former staying the same and the latter reducing in cost. I do not see anymore 300 GB packages. The e-mail states that this should be in effect for June.

I do not appreciate the price changes especially when it comes at a reduction of usage for the basic packages on top of the increase. It is no wonder that Canada internet is seen as behind the times. There is no way I would go to Shaw as their 25 Mbps plan is 62 dollars standalone.
Old 2012-05-01, 05:25 PM   #264
recneps77
Veteran

You can thank CRTC for approving higher wholesale bandwidth rates from the incumbents to TSI.

We got the increase in ON/QC a couple months' back.
Wasn't happy about it either, but still better than rogers/bell for me.
Old 2012-05-01, 05:39 PM   #265
ScaryBob
Veteran

I get the full 25Mbps in Ontario. It wasn't always that way. System congestion knocked it back to about 5Mbps during peak times last Fall. TSI always tries to do the right thing. Sometimes they are the victims of their own success or unresponsive incumbents.
Old 2012-05-01, 06:31 PM   #266
Arqual
Rookie

The problem with this increase is the fact it is not really a savings anymore for me, recneps77. It will cost $50 a month with Teksavvy while Telus costs $54 a month (not including retention or introductory prices) without having to pay for a technician if something goes wrong. The usage with Telus does not matter to me because they have never charged me for going over it for years. I don't know if 4 dollars less a month is worth it to me. I am not counting Shaw as their internet prices are ridiculous and that "bump up" plan is ludicrous.

They updated the site for the BC region. http://teksavvy.com/en/res-internet.asp (select BC in top right corner). Why do we have a price increase of 7 dollars but lose 225 GB usage? Even Ontario and Quebec have 300 GB plans still which is ridiculous. I think it may be time to find a new ISP soon. They also raised the price of activation by 29 dollars and the move fee to 75 dollars.

Last edited by Arqual; 2012-05-01 at 06:57 PM.
Old 2012-05-02, 11:45 AM   #267
slyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arqual View Post
Why do we have a price increase of 7 dollars but lose 225 GB usage? Even Ontario and Quebec have 300 GB plans still which is ridiculous.
I believe the answer is that from one area to another there are different incumbent ISPs that Teksavvy is purchasing bandwidth from. These companies have different pricing structures and therefore Teksavvy's wholesale pricing differs along with the each ISP they buy from. That is the only explanation that makes sense to me, but if that's wrong I'd like to hear the actual reason for prices differences for the same service type across different regions.
Old 2012-05-02, 03:09 PM   #268
Arqual
Rookie

The problem with that is they had offered 300 GB usage for while now and before that it was 200 GB for a long time. Telus 25 plan has 500 GB usage and Shaw Extreme(25Mbps) has 250 GB usage. I have not seen a bandwidth usage as low as 75 GB on the west coast in years for a high speed package. Right now both Shaw and Telus don't even charge for going over the usage and have not even though the site says that they do it. I know it will not stay that way for much longer, but I do not understand the usage change except out of greed unless I am missing something.
Old 2012-05-03, 04:22 AM   #269
Civilian
Rookie

Default BC/AB Cable Pricing

I just read the BC/AB Cable Pricing email yesterday. I couldn't believe it when I read it. You gotta love how they worded the email to sound like they are doing us a favor.

If I'm forced to switch I will be canceling the service. I have the $36.95 300Gb package, and to get the equivalent I will have to now pay $50 a month. No thanks.

Good thing Novus is coming to my building. Time to get back on fiber.
Old 2012-05-03, 05:30 AM   #270
Arqual
Rookie

In the e-mail it stated that if I took no action it would automatically force me to the $49.95 plan. I still find the 75 GB change a joke of some sort. I am contemplating seeking another ISP but I do not see many choices other than the the duopoly for where I am located.